If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Super Mario Run for Mobile

Moderator: Valigarmander

Shane
Administrator

Super Mario Run for Mobile

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm

[MEDIA=youtube]E39ychZKnDI[/MEDIA]

iPhone with Android to follow.
In the game, players navigate traditional 2D Mario levels in an attempt to collect as many coins as possible in a set amount of time, before reaching the flagpole at the end of the level. Tapping makes the auto-running Mario jump, and the entire game can be played with one hand. Super Mario Run has multiple worlds and levels. Six worlds could be seen on the demo screen.

Alongside this single-player mode, there’s “Toad Rally” which allows players to compete against one another collecting coins.

Finally, a third mode lets users “create your own Mushroom Kingdom” using coins you’ve collected. Whether this means you’ll be able to create your own levels, like a mini Super Mario Maker, remains to be seen.

The game will also have in-app purchases.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... mario-run/

And then this happens again. http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdet ... =INSFIST10
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:12 pm

I guess they're not done milking the NSMB aesthetic

It looks ok, has some decent ideas for an autorunner like wall-jumping
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Let the whoring begin in full.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 am

^Begin? Mario Teaches Typing is 25 years old.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 am

That was just Mario being promiscuous. He's working street corners for 99¢-a-pop MTs now.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:50 am

Seen it.

[MEDIA=youtube]9wI6wClmV8Y[/MEDIA]

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:03 am

I'll be getting this. It looks really well-made.[DOUBLEPOST=1473328981,1473328900][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1607636, member: 18119"]Let the whoring begin in full.[/QUOTE]
I don't get it. What makes this whoring? Is any company that develops a mobile game automatically "whoring"?
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 am

The mobile runners genre is the epitome of IP prostitution. What would define the notion if not this?

I don't particularly mind but Nintendo is supposed to be innovative and this is about as far removed from innovation as one can get. Just seems lazy. I think Pokémon Go is a fine concept, for example. It's a bit more original though Invizimals did it first, technically.

If if at least brings something to the table then it will be good, in fact it is really smart and I'd probably do it too, I just have low expectations.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 am

I imagine Nintendo is just testing the waters with mobile gaming. It's tricky to make a good mobile game.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:13 am

Eh.

I'm not interested. I have all the NSMB platformers I could ever want for the moment.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Mario appears to jump exactly as high as is necessary at the moment.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Are games like this legitimately monetized, or do they just irritate you until you buy extra lives?

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 pm

[QUOTE="Random User, post: 1607673, member: 35827"]I imagine Nintendo is just testing the waters with mobile gaming. It's tricky to make a good mobile game.[/QUOTE]

Especially becuase the people who tell you that your mobile game wont' sell are the same people who'll produce Intellivision&Colecovision era-esque ripoffs mercilessly when it does.

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1607654, member: 18119"]
I don't particularly mind but Nintendo is supposed to be innovative and this is about as far removed from innovation as one can get. Just seems lazy. I think Pokémon Go is a fine concept, for example. It's a bit more original though Invizimals did it first, technically.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Nintendo actually not have a lot to do with Pokémon Ingress-I mean Pokémon GO? And doing it first isn't the thing.... it's doing it right that is the thing. Everyone remembers Minecraft... but fewer remember Furcadia, SecondLife, and the Gmod. hell, even fewer remember Infiniminer which is even CLOSER to Minecraft than those three. Being around at the right time helps, though. (See: LoL.)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm

So this game is great, btw. Well-designed, great optional challenges (black coin levels are quite tough), and a Modern-Era-Mario Capstone Difficulty level that is very well-done. Definitely worth the $10.
Carthago delendum est

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Holy ****, it's $10?

Glad that you like it and all, but that's obscene for a runner in my eyes.

Although I guess Nintendo doesn't really care what I think about it since I'm not playing mobile games to begin with. :/

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Don't give your money to it or you're supporting sexism.

[spoiler]also its just a runner which is just so lazy and actually fits modern nintendos image[/spoiler]

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 pm

I dunno why people freak out over the $10 price point, that's really a steal for how much content they put in the game. Seems like something they'd charge at least twice as much for on the eShop.

I guess it's just because it's the mobile market and people expect games to be dirt-cheap (microtransactions nonwithstanding)
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Half the reviews are 1 star. People are not happy when they find out how much you have to pay for most of the content. I'm not sure what else people expect from Nintendo, but apparently it's something different than they expect from mobile gaming.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Of course Nintendo fanboys would be taken aback by how whoretastic mobile gaming is. You think modern games are bad with the microtransactions? Super Mario Run is tame with this by comparison.

As someone who has delved in mobile gaming, do NOT use this game as a gateway to get into mobile gaming if you already play traditional video games. Mobile games that don't try to wring your wallet dry so audaciously and are worth playing are almost stuff of legend.

As for the game itself, it's a runner. What else is there to say? Sure, it has a Mario spin to it, but it's still a runner and they don't hold my attention very well. I probably would've gotten it if it had a level editor, though.

If it did, you can guarantee I'd have to pay for it.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm

I feel like y'all are being incredibly dismissive by calling it a "runner." That makes it sound like an endless procedurally-generated reaction-based same-fest like Temple Run or something. That is not what this game is. This game is a NSMB-style Platformer in which Mario is set to auto-run.

It is not endless, it is not procedural. The levels are very intentionally and clearly designed. Each level has 3 color-coin challenges in which you go through variations of the same level in order to collect Pink, Purple, and Black coins in one run. There are 6 worlds with 4 levels each, each level having 3 variations for the coin challenges, and then 3 secret levels that you unlock by completing the coin challenges in every level.

The game scales difficulty well. Black coin challenges are very worthy. The capstone level is hard, in a good way. The game is well-designed.

Not sure why it's necessary to **** all over the game purely because it's on a cell phone.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!”