69%

Total votes: 16

Valigarmander
Supermod

Best 3D platformer partner?

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 am

F.L.U.D.D.
Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
  • High-tech water pump designed by Professor E. Gadd.
  • Uses water to clean up graffiti, douse flames, aid mobility, annoy hapless natives, etc.
  • Has three interchangeable nozzles (Hover, Rocket and Turbo) along with the standard Squirt Nozzle.
  • Offers annoying helpful hints in robotic monotone.
  • Is tragically destroyed during the final battle (but gets better in the end).
  • Appears as one of Mario's moves in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and its sequel, and as an item in the Mario Kart Arcade GP series.
  • Is it possible for a machine... to possess a soul?

Luma
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
  • Adorable, chubby star baby.
  • Gives Mario the ability to do a Star Spin, which serves as his standard attack and also gives a little extra height to his jump.
  • Can apparently turn into a bunny at will, if the game's first mission is any indication.
  • Sacrifices itself to stabilize a supermassive black hole and restore the galaxy to it's former state, or rebirth the universe, or whatever the hell happened at the end of SMG.
  • Reappears in Super Mario Galaxy 2 with the same function as before, and as Rosalina's partner in Super Smash Bros. U/3DS.
  • We are all made of star stuff.

Cappy
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
  • Friendly hat-ghost-thing.
  • Lets Mario possess "capture" sentient beings. But not if they're wearing a hat, for some reason.
  • Can also be used to collect nearby items, and to serve as a platform for Mario to bounce off of.
  • Can be controlled by the second player in co-op mode.
  • Joins Mario to rescue his sister Tiara, who is also a hat-ghost-thing.
  • Can be cosmetically changed into a sombrero, a fedora, a toque blanche, and more!
  • Our hats are off to you, Cappy.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Best 3D platformer partner?

Post by Marilink » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 am

Cappy and it’s not even close. Even the movement options that FLUDD offers are outclassed by Cappy’s greatness.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:14 am

Why not both?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I did not get far in SMO but it is inferior to 64 & SMS in terms of presentation and core mechanics, that much is clear. FLUDD wasn't annoying or in your face, I sometimes forget he was a character and not just a tool, which is better than an annoying partner. Cappy sucks. Of course, I prefer no helper partner so 64 wins in that regard.

The cartooniness is cranked up over 9000 (why is he rolling in a ball, or spreading his hands out when runs, and making dumb expressions all the time), they're trying to Pixar-ify the Mario-verse, I don't appreciate it. Also, I don't think the gimmick will be looked upon fondly in the future. I play Mario games to play as Mario with his moveset, not to use a bunch of other characters who aren't fun. I find it difficult to imagine I'm alone in that.

Music is average at best, not memorable or fun but fitting enough. Graphics are alright, not a huge step forward. Controls feel off, and motion is tacked on as always now, thanks Wii. I guess the level design is okay but moons just being left out to collect like your average coin is bad. Characters suck (who was that fat rabbid woman boss with the chain chomp lmao get outta here).

I can see why people were disappointed in SMS, it's my favorite but I still understand. SM64 is a little bit rough around the edges but the actual game itself is still really solid. Didn't need cutscenes and annoying characters, it has a simple charm you don't see anymore in games.

If I had to rank them, SMS > SM64 > SMO. I didn't try SMG but it seems better than Odyssey but motion controls are a real deterrent.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:03 pm

F.L.U.D.D. because the scene where he dies made me laugh really hard as an adult in my second playthrough.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:37 pm

FLUDD >>>>> all

Cappy's gameplay is really clever and fun but nothing is as great to me as Jetpack Mario. Plus I like robots better than weird hats with eyes.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:16 pm

i hate how the cartoon plumber game is cartoony too

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:24 pm

The worst thing I can say about SMO's movement is that the Cappy Dive Jump might be too OP but my fingers were too dumb to pull it off consistently.

As for the poll, I went with Cappy because it's been 400 years since I played Sunshine and I often forget the Apricot Luma exists. Also as I've said before I appreciated how Cappy would tell if you were missing any Moons/Purple Coins in a side-area if you revisited it.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:11 am

PataPanfan wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:16 pm
i hate how the cartoon plumber game is cartoony too
There's degrees of cartooniness. Clearly Mario is supposed to be cartoony but Odyssey lays it on a bit too thick, and doesn't do it in an appealing way. There's some subtle differences like his expressions and behavior being too goofy and exaggerated, but then there's more noticeable things like his dumb animations like rolling and running. Still, sort of just nitpicks and stuff a lot of people wouldn't notice. But then there's f***ing Cappy and the bosses, they're not as easy to ignore. They suck and they're annoying and cringey.

For reference, a comparison between similar expressions, animations, sidekicks, and the first boss encounters between SMS & SMO:
Spoiler.

Spoiler.

INSERT IMAGE OF MARIO NOT ROLLING HERE

tldr: SMO gives me diabetes

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:41 pm

^First boss encounter? I wouldn't say Shadow Mario.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Mario has been rolling like that since 3D Land and he’s been raising his arms at top speed since Super Mario World

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:16 pm

^^ That creepy goopy plant monster is still better than the fat raving rabbid woman boss thing.

^ It wasn't present in SM64 nor SMS, and the way it looks in SMO is ridiculous. Mario does something with his arms in SMB3 too, hard to tell what, maybe some Naruto run thing idk. Didn't bother me in any 2D games anyway.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 am

Poor Luma.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Clank.

Durr.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:14 pm

^ Ratchet & Clank for some reason reminds me of Jak & Daxter, both are game series that never clicked with me. I'd even rate Banjo Kazooie above them.

Aside from Mario I think the best 3D Platformer is Conker's Bad Fur Day. The mechanics and design were a bit sloppy and bland but the humor and graphics were nice. Had a crazy good multiplayer mode too.

Return to “Super Mario Bros.: All Posters Post Posts”