If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

In the Mario games that let you control people other than Mario....

Moderator: Valigarmander

Apollo the Just

In the Mario games that let you control people other than Mario....

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:06 am

......what are some of your favorite examples, and who do you like to play as?

For me, the Bowser levels in Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door will always be legendary. Having him as an actual party member in Super Paper Mario is also fantastic, but the ridiculous factor is slightly less because the game is actually balanced around him as a party member rather than just being an incredible joke level with steaks. I do love getting the gold stars in SPM as Bowser though because then he gets so enormous that this 8-bit monster takes up half the level. 10/10 best playable character.

Playing as Peach is often a treat in games where she's available, too. Particularly enjoy her playable segments in PM64 when she guest-stars on a quiz show, and she was always my favorite in All-Stars.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:20 am

it's hard to think of examples that aren't the spinoff games where they have little to any appreciable difference in playstyle (the mario parties, karts, etc.)

i thought all the playable characters in sm64ds were cool except wario because he was so sluggish and his strengths were situational at best

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:02 am

In the multiplayer games I usually gravitate towards Waluigi or Daisy because they're both terrible.

In other games it's usually Luigi or Peach. You can really cheese certain missions in Super Mario 64 DS with Luigi's spin jumps. And Peach Toadstool is the best party member in Super Mario RPG, bar none.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:43 am

I totally forgot about spinoffs like Mario Party and Mario Kart. Just made this thread to talk about SPM to be honest.

I love playing as Yoshi whenever I'm allowed to; especially in Mario Party 2 because his little outfits are adorable. I mean the outfits are fun no matter what but they're best when worn by a lovable dinosaur.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:36 am

I've started a playthrough of SM3DW with my pal Shane. I picked Peach, because Peach is awesome. Also because her hovering ability is useful, but mainly for the awesomeness.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

I was always a little disappointed that SMRPG didn't allow you to remove Mario from the party. Even if he had to be the one doing the platforming and stuff, would it have killed them to let me run a Geno/Bowser/Toadstool set?

That said, I love playing as Toad in SMB2. He's so fast when holding an object, it's great. And vine jumping is extremely easy with Luigi, which comes in handy for several levels. Honestly, Mario is the least desirable character to play in that game.
Carthago delendum est

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:48 pm

getting back to sm64ds that's like the one game with multiple characters where you would ever actually want to play as mario. he has the fastest run speed of the bunch and he's the only one who can wall jump so he's great when you need mobility.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Luigi's jumps tho

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:52 pm

[QUOTE="DarkZero, post: 1638590, member: 34654"]getting back to sm64ds that's like the one game with multiple characters where you would ever actually want to play as mario. he has the fastest run speed of the bunch and he's the only one who can wall jump so he's great when you need mobility.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention the fact that the game is originally designed for Mario, so he naturally just feels the best in that space.
Carthago delendum est

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 pm

i 100%ed the game recently and when you spend that much time combing over places you've already been you really start to appreciate the speed

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the best part of playing as Bowser in Mario RPG.

The Hurly Gloves

Carthago delendum est

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Any platformer that lets me play as The Green Thunder is a good platformer in my book.

It's a shame I usually have to play through them as red Luigi first before I can.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am

Well obviously Princess Toadstool in SMB2 has the most compelling function.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Luigi.
Luigi.
Peach, if I need the hover.
Luigi.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Bowser+Carrie was the dream team in SPM.

I played only as Mario in 3D World though because I figured that would be hardest.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Isabelle.

Bomby

Re: In the Mario games that let you control people other than Mario....

Post by Bomby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:34 am

Depends on the game. I think I have a different primary character in all of the Mario Kart games, some of them actually being Mario. I think I might be undefeated as DK Jr in the original Mario Tennis.

Apollo the Just

Re: In the Mario games that let you control people other than Mario....

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:43 pm

I was heckin OP in Mario Tennis but that's because I built and trained my OC on the GBA game and then ported 'em over to the N64 game and destroyed everyone. Good times

Return to “Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!”