If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

This Crossword Puzzle is BS

Moderator: Valigarmander

Antisocial

This Crossword Puzzle is BS

Post by Antisocial » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 am

Someone posted this in a chat I go to and I couldn't figure most of it out. And I found out why after I saw the answers because the hints are the most obtuse garbage I've ever seen. I don't care that this was made in 1987--it's bull****.

Maybe you people can do better, whether by luck or a different thought process. Or maybe I just plain suck at crossword puzzles; it's the most likely thing, really.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 am

So this is a garbage crossword puzzle.

...That said, I figured it all out.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

11-Down was the one that took me the longest. And 3-Across is pretty asinine. Not even really sure what 2-Down is referring to. For some other ones, I only knew the answer because of the surrounding ones that gave me letters. Otherwise they would have been indecipherable (e.g. 6-down, 15-down, 16-across).

I put myself into the shoes of "Some poor guy for NoA who is making a crossword puzzle based on a Japanese game for an audience that hasn't developed our current standard vocabulary for everything yet," and it helped.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

I finished like 85% of it before I decided to look up the answers.

The worst for me was 3 across and 4 down, which made me realize that my answer for 7 across was wrong too.

11 down took me a moment too but I figured it out - even though it makes little sense. . .

[SPOILER="spoiler tags in case anyone really cares to try on their own"]

It's not like Bowser is going out hunting for Mario with a shotgun.

I originally thought 7 across was ball for fireball, since this crossword puzzle has a weird habit of cutting up words.Then I was thinking 9 down was L. M. for Luigi Mario? That led me on a search for if the Mario Mario and Luigi Mario thing was around before the movie. In the process, I stumbled upon an Inside Edition of early Bill O'Reilly doing a piece on Super Mario back in the day.

Mario BLOWS away the enemy? Like yeah it's an expression but in this scenario it's not really applicable. Mario kicks the enemy.
I was thinking "boots" or "bumps" but then 4 down didn't make sense.

I had to search "driven snow" to find out that to be purer than driven snow is an expression. I have never in my life heard of that expression before.

What exactly is a power booster in the original game? I figured that out even though I wasn't sure what they were referring to. Just a power-up? Why not just say power-up? I joked around thinking it was "power rooster"

apparently that's a thing:

Vitamins for roosters.

I digress. Anyway.
[/SPOILER]

It's a really awkward crossword puzzle. Like 3 across - oh, em, gee I wonder what that could be. Why cut it at "ba" in Goomba? Who does that? Why not just say "Little walking turds" or something as a clue? idk
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 am

Puzzles are garbage just in general.

I mean, by all means, do one occasionally. Shepard has a word-find, a sudoku and a crossword, and it comes out once a week. That's enough to stimulate me. Don't worry about them otherwise.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

Return to “Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!”