If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Mario confirmed for animal abuser.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Mario confirmed for animal abuser.

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 am

Mario's neither a plumber nor a decent person.
Among Nintendo fans, there has been dispute as to whether Mario was telling Yoshi to get something or smacking the character in the head. According to Nintendo, Mario was originally punching Yoshi, causing the character’s tongue to shoot out in surprise.

For example, a few years back website Supper Mario Broth tried to disprove the Mario-is-punching-Yoshi theory with the images below, explaining that “Yoshi contorts his face before Mario’s hand overlaps his head” and that “official art suggests Mario is simply pointing forward to show Yoshi what to lick.”

In a recent interview on Nintendo’s official site, longtime developers Takashi Tezuka and Shigefumi Hino talked about the creation of Super Mario World and Yoshi.

According to Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto said he wanted Mario to ride a horse. “I think he likes horses,” Tezuka added. “When we were making [Super Mario Bros. 3], he drew a picture of Mario riding a horse and had put it up on wall next to where he sits. When I saw that, I thought, ‘I guess he wants Mario to ride something.’ So, when we were making Super Mario World, we had this ‘dinosaur land’ concept, and I had Hino draw reptile type art.”

“Initially,” Hino said, “the keyword that I had was ‘horse,’ so I imagined something quite later and, for the time being, drew a large lizard type creature.”

“It looked like a crocodile,” explained Tezuka, who felt like a reptile-looking creature might seem out of place in Mario. Tezuka drew a rough sketch of a cute character and on the basis of that, Hino created Yoshi.

“Lots of people think that while Mario is pointing his finger foreward, he’s saying ‘Go,’ and Yoshi’s tongue comes out,” said Hino. “However, the set up that I drew was that when Mario punches Yoshi in the head, the character’s tongue shoots out in surprise.”

“What’s more,” Hino continued, “there’s an added ‘bop’ sound. However, it seemed like people would say ‘Poor Yoshi,’ so that’s why it became that Mario is saying ‘Go.’”

This explains why the official line is that Mario is telling Yoshi to go or get something, but the original art shows Mario smacking the character in the head.
Bonus: check out Yoshi's early design.

Maybe his head eventually swelled up from all those punches.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Mario confirmed for animal abuser.

Post by Marilink » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 am

For reference, here is the art referenced:

Gif of the character animation: https://twitter.com/FarmboyinJapan/stat ... 5469079552

The original design was that Mario was punching Yoshi, but they changed that line real fast.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Well, that was one damn ugly Yoshi. I would have punched that thing too.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 pm

...I mean, how many turtles had Mario stomped and/or fireballed to death by the time SMW hit?
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 pm
...I mean, how many turtles had Mario stomped and/or fireballed to death by the time SMW hit?
but those were ENEMIES you see

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 pm
That was pretty much what I was thinking the whole time I started with this thread. He could just avoid them, but no. He stomps on them. Sure, they say they're part of the koopa troupe and that they're enemy combatants. But that could all be lazily dressed propaganda.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 pm

you mean... mario was the bad guy the whole time?

oh man why hasnt anyone thought of that before

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

^^Maybe they were just defeated, not killed. It's more appealing, right-----------showing the bad guys running off, a little the worse for wear, scorched and black-eyed and band-aided up and all, but alive.

Like, nobody wants to see Popeye kill Bluto. Nobody wants to see Bugs Bunny kill Elmer Fudd. Nobody wants to see the Power Rangers kill Rita Repulsa and then eat her corpse. That'd be odd.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm
^^Maybe they were just defeated, not killed. It's more appealing, right-----------showing the bad guys running off, a little the worse for wear, scorched and black-eyed and band-aided up and all, but alive.

Like, nobody wants to see Popeye kill Bluto. Nobody wants to see Bugs Bunny kill Elmer Fudd. Nobody wants to see the Power Rangers kill Rita Repulsa and then eat her corpse. That'd be odd.
I don't know, I mean the Power Rangers one definitely rings true. I think that's just what we need to really put the PR to rest properly and give them closure.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:07 pm

'Closure' is an unacceptible justification for murder and cannibalism. Like, if the Rangers decided to kill and eat Rita because they were really hungry, or just for the hell of it, that'd be one thing, but closure? That's sick. Like what do they need closure for, anyway. 'Ugh, I have to beat up bad guys and drive a dinosaur robot around. This is the pits. If only we could just kill and eat Rita Repulsa, then we'd never need to have extremely lighthearted fun superhero adventures ever again.'

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:35 pm

е и ժ е я wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:18 pm
He could just avoid them, but no.
I've actually been watching an SMB3 no-touch challenge, & it is in fact impossible to clear the game without killing *some* non-boss enemies.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I've always said that the enemies are just badly concussed/injured, sent to hospital (via magic, of course) and then Bowser cruelly sends them right back to the job when they've recovered (hence why when you return to an area, the same enemy was patrolling). :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:08 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:07 pm
'Closure' is an unacceptible justification for murder and cannibalism. Like, if the Rangers decided to kill and eat Rita because they were really hungry, or just for the hell of it, that'd be one thing, but closure? That's sick. Like what do they need closure for, anyway. 'Ugh, I have to beat up bad guys and drive a dinosaur robot around. This is the pits. If only we could just kill and eat Rita Repulsa, then we'd never need to have extremely lighthearted fun superhero adventures ever again.'
Whoanow, no need to be a joykiller. I'm not saying they should eat everyone. Just, you know, that it would have things sorted and final. Dinosaur robot or not, after awhile you just want to go home. I don't know that you'd be feeling so hot about your work either if the dinosaur dress-up were mandatory. And who are the PR in their off-time? A bad 'Happy Days' knockoff cast by way of 'Captain Planet' diversity propaganda. No glory, no appreciation. They're adrift in the grey waters of mediocrity, and they don't even get paid.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 am

don't bully me daniel

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 am

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 am

So when can I expect that Mario receipt blog?

Return to “Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!”