If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Newbie FAQ's: please read!

Welcoming new members, and farewelling those who have to leave our presence.

Moderator: Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Newbie FAQ's: please read!

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:56 am

See new guide here: forums/threads/strategies-for-navigatin ... aqs.92286/

Newbie’s Frequently Asked Questions.

Q: How do you post a picture?

A: Either by using the Add Image button above the post reply box, or manually inserting BB Code image tags, which look like [plain][/plain]. To get the URL of a picture, hold your mouse over the picture, right click it, click “Properties” and copy the Image Address. You must have at least 25 posts before you are permitted to post pictures. Posting an image that contains offensive material (including swearing) isn't allowed, and will result in a warning from an Administrator or Moderator, with the image being edited out of your post.

--------

Q: Can you post a picture that’s saved on your computer?

A: No, it has to be hosted online before you can post it. If there’s a picture you want that’s on your computer, you can use a free site to host the picture for you. Sites such as photobucket.com and flikr.com are easy to use and free.

--------

Q: How do you post a video?

A: Either by using the Add Media button above the post reply box, or manually inserting BB Code media tags, which look like [plain][media][/media][/plain]. To post a YouTube video, copy all the letter and numbers after the = in the YouTube URL. For example, if the URL in the address bar is "[plain]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7DHztmPF8[/plain]", take "Mm7DHztmPF8" (everything after the =) and put it between the media tags like this: [plain][media]Mm7DHztmPF8[/media][/plain]. You must have at least 25 posts before you are permitted to post videos. Posting a video that contains offensive material (including swearing) isn't allowed, and will result in a warning from an Administrator or Moderator, with the video being edited out of your post.

(Please note that if the video is relevant to the topic and happens to contain swearing, you are allowed to put "WARNING: OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE" and post a link to it, but consider this carefully before you do so.)

--------

Q: How long are you considered a newbie?

A: Your rank changes after 50 posts, but you’ll probably find you’ll be considered a newbie until you’re a little better known around the forums. Try participating in many topics so people can get to know you.

--------

Q: How do you get a custom picture/avatar under your name?

A: Custom avatars are available to Supporters. In Account Upgrades you can choose to become a Supporter by donating money to VGF, which helps make sure the site can afford to stay online. Once you are a Supporter, an Avatar Editor will become available to upload your own image.

--------

Q: How do you get a signature at the end of each post?

A: In the Signature settings of your account.

--------

Q: How do you update your profile?

A: Your profile can contain information such as your favourite game, IM contact details, hobbies and other things. You can find all under your account settings, such as Personal Details, and Contact Details. You can also change your email and password, if necessary.

--------

Q: What should you do if you can't login?

A: Make a topic in the Registration and Login Help Forum, stating your username and current email so an Admin may send you a new password. If this email is different from the email your registered with, make sure you include the old email to prove it's your account.

--------

Q: How do you change your name?

A: Contact an Admin.

--------

Q: What is SPAM?

A: SPAM is technically Self Promoting Advertising Messages. The word "spam" is also used for pointless, off topic posts. Filling a post with garbled letters, nonsense or extremely random stuff is classed as spam. This is a bad thing to do, and you may receive a warning from an Administrator or Moderator if you do it too much. Spam posts might also be edited or deleted.

--------

Q: What is flaming/trolling?

A: Flaming is when you verbally attack someone (by calling them names, or otherwise insulting them), and trolling is when you post only to be rude and annoying to other people. Flaming and trolling will result in a warning from an Administrator or Moderator, and if you keep doing it, you could be banned. Posts containing flames or trolling are editted or deleted.

--------

Q: What are the censors for, and what is censor evasion?

A: VGF is considered to be a PG-13 website, so swearing is automatically censored. Offensive words will have asterisks in place of the letters, so if you try and post a cuss word, it will show as "****" in your reply. Evading the censors is when you purposely change the way you type the swear so the automatic censoring doesn't work. This will result in a warning from an Administrator or Moderator. The cuss will be edited out of your post, if you have evaded the censor.

--------

Q: Who are the Administrators?

A: Shane, Heroine of the Dragon and Saria Dragon are the Admins at VGF. Shane owns the website, but if you need any special help, try sending a PM to HotD or SD. If any serious problems occur at the forums, the Admins deals with it how they feel is appropriate. Admins are the only people who can ban members.

--------

Q: What are Moderators?

A: Mods are the members who have been appointed or elected to watch over a specific forum and literally moderate the content. Mods read topics in their forum to make sure everyone is behaving in an appropriate manner; that no one is evading the censors, spamming, flaming, trolling or making topics in the wrong forum. They can edit or delete posts and topics, move topics, and feature topics that they think are important.

--------

Q: What are SuperModerators?

A: SuperMods have the same powers as a regular Mod (edit or delete posts and topics, move topics, etc), but they can do it in every forum of VGF. A regular Moderator can only perform these duties in the forum they are Mod of. Mods and SuperMods will usually help or offer you advice if you need.

--------

Q: What is a PM?

A: PM means Private Message. You use it to speak privately with another member, kind of like sending them an email. PMs can only be sent once you have made 25 posts, and if it is abused (by sending harrassing PMs, or spam PMs), you can lose the ability to send them.

--------

Q: What is "bump" and what does it mean?

A: "Bump" is a term members use when they bring a topic back to the top of the page. When you reply to a topic, it automatically goes to the top of the topic page (with the exception of feature topics, which always stay at the top). Topics are bumped so they come to the attention of other members, but if this is done with very old topics, it annoys people. As a general guide, if the topic isn't on the first page of the forum, you should make a new topic about the subject instead of replying to the old topic.

--------

Q: What is a feature/pinned/sticky topic?

A: A feature topic is a topic that always stays at the top of the page so everyone can see it. Usually important topics are featured. Only Admins and Moderators can pin feature topics, but if you think there is a topic that should geniunely be pinned, you can request it (either as a post in the topic, or via PM to the Moderator of the forum).

--------

Q: How can I become a Moderator?

A: If the Admins believe a forum is active enough to require a Moderator, or they need to replace a Mod that has left, they will post an election topic. To run for the position, you need to have been a registered member for two months, and have a minimum of 200 posts. Usually, a person who is already active in the forum BEFORE the election is called will have the most support, and you will only be elected if you show maturity and leadership qualities. There is a lot of responsibility involved in being a Moderator- not just anyone will be given the position. If you think you're qualified and want to run in a current election, read the Articles of Moderation.

--------

Q: How can I become an Administrator?

A: It's very rare that new Admins are appointed, and since we have SuperModerators to watch over the entire forum, it's not likely to happen for a long time. Also, a new Admin is always a veteran member who is highly trusted among the VGF community and shows that they will be staying at VGF for a long time to come.

--------

Q: What are smilies/graemlins/emoticons, and how do I use them?/

A: They are usually small face-shaped icons that you use to denote an emotion in your post. These are made by typing in certain text-faces such as [plain] :D [/plain] to get :D , or other specific codes such as [plain] :eek: [/plain] to get :eek: . You can find all the emoticons that VGF has available here.

--------

Q: How can I change the formatting of my text, for example, make it bold or italic?

A: Either by using the appropriate formatting button above the post reply box, or manually inserting BB Code. Bold text uses [plain][/plain], and italic uses [plain][/plain]. There are many types of text formatting available at VGF, just check the list to see what code you need to use.

If you have any other questions or want to know more, feel free to ask or PM me.
Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Greenmarioman

Post by Greenmarioman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Uh, I have a question. There are certian tags that you can put in your post. You know, like [/strike], [/sarcasm], [/spoiler] and [/pong]. Are there any others?

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:29 pm

If you don't mind, I'll take this one ESSDEE. :)

^Yes! Plenty others! Just check out this list. It shows all of the "tags" you can use here! ^_^

VGmaster81

Post by VGmaster81 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:50 am

thanks

thank you

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:48 am

Great job, ESSDEE!!!!

You forgot the bit about it being compulsory for Newbies to eat the marshmallows... ;) *leaves all the newbies marshmallows* :cool: :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Minukelsus
Supporter

Post by Minukelsus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:11 am

Ah yes, how could I forget my 'first' marshmallow. I'll always cherish that sugary/sweet taste, forever. :cool:

...oh wait, to my recollection, I never received a marshmallow when I joined! :(

Seeking Attention

Post by Seeking Attention » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

[pong]Pong?[/pong]

Thats cool.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:57 am

I always wonder how ZG used to make those cows go back and forth. xDD
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 am

[noparse][pong] [/pong][/noparse] tags

o wait i c whar u got that nao
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Minukelsus
Supporter

Post by Minukelsus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 am

Irby wrote:[pong]Pong?[/pong]

Thats cool.
[pong]Silence![/pong]

You make that sound like I'm an ancient divine gaming God from a time long since past, merely because the 'first' game I ever played was Pong. :confused:

Need I remind you that I'm only twenty four... :headbang:

Though admittedly, when I'm sleep deprived I sometimes feel like ninety four! *seriouse case of teh red eye* ;)

Though it's fine by me if thou wish to worship me as some form of devine deity, seriously I don't mind!!!

Red

Post by Red » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:24 am

[pong]All hail [strike]Jay[/strike] ArkRoyal!![/pong]

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:42 am

[pong]WonderED[/pong]

Is what I meant to say. As in, I figured it out.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Greenmarioman

Post by Greenmarioman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 am

[pong]:cow:[/pong]

Jailbreaker

Post by Jailbreaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Q: How do I make a poll?

Typhlame

Post by Typhlame » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:28 pm

[pong]:banana:[/pong]

Jailbreaker

Post by Jailbreaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Bananadance. But that isn't an answer.

Typhlame

Post by Typhlame » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Or is it?

Jailbreaker

Post by Jailbreaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Jailbreaker wrote:Q: How do I make a poll?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Jailbreaker wrote:Q: How do I make a poll?

Scroll down under the text box and there should be an option to add a poll. Click "submit topic" and you will be taken to a screen where you can edit the poll choices.

Jailbreaker

Post by Jailbreaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Introductions and Goodbyes”