Trey Parker and Matt Stone Come Out as Republicans to a Room Full of Hollywood Elites

Moderator: Deku Tree

Bad Dragonite

Trey Parker and Matt Stone Come Out as Republicans to a Room Full of Hollywood Elites

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:01 am

https://www.dangerous.com/42908/trey-pa ... od-elites/
Last week Trey Parker and Matt Stone sent shockwaves through the entertainment industry by announcing at an awards ceremony, “we’re republicans.”
The South Park creative powerhouses were receiving a “Freedom” award from People for the American Way and needed to reaffirm in front of the audience of high profile entertainment insiders, “No seriously, we’re republicans,” after the audience became uncomfortably chuckled at the concept of right wingers among them. Larry Elder tweeted about the crowd’s reaction saying:
“Trey Parker & Matt Stone of @SouthPark asked me to introduce them when they received a ‘freedom’ award from Norman Lear’s organization. After they graciously accepted, they said, ‘We’re republicans.’ Nervous laughter. They repeated, ‘No, seriously, we’re republicans.'”

"Larry Elder

@larryelder

Trey Parker & Matt Stone of @SouthPark asked me to introduce them when they received a "freedom" award from Norman Lear's organization. After they graciously accepted, they said, "We're republicans." Nervous laughter. They repeated, "No, seriously, we're republicans."#Priceless
9:18 PM - Mar 23, 2018 "

People for the American Way Foundation is an advocacy group for progressive values chaired by television legend Norman Lear from All in the Family and Sanford and Son fame. Lear has a consistent track of advocating for free speech and showcasing politically incorrect programming. However, the PFAW mission statement includes in no uncertain terms it is a “…progressive advocacy organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism…”

Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren has said, “PFAW was created to be an important shield against the very right-wing extremism we’re now up against.”
Either the PFAW was unaware of the South Park creators’ political leanings, or at the age of 95 Lear is too old to care. No topic is safe from Parker and Stone. They have roasted Rosie, Hillary, George W. Bush, Trump, Oprah, Christians, Jews, Mormons, Scientology, New Jersey, Yelp, rednecks, feminists, the Japanese, NAMBLA, J-Lo, Whole Foods and plenty more on their show. They famously got in hot water for making Mohammad a South Park character, and revisiting it after the events of the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack.
South Park even dedicated one of their best seasons to mocking all modern P.C. culture.

Parker and Stone have both at one time been registered Republicans, but lean more toward the libertarian side of the spectrum. In 2005 Matt Stone said “I hate conservatives, but I really f*cking hate liberals.”
Parker once mused, “We used to have a great time going to Hollywood parties and saying ‘I think George Bush is doing a great job.’ We’d clear out the room. I used to love it.”
When a Huffington Post writer asked them in 2010 which group over the years they most pissed off, both reported: “liberals.”
Over the decades South Park has established a brand that seems to push anyone who gets offended by it as un-cool and stuck-up. The show has been wildly successful at pushing boundaries of speech while wrapping it into a broader lesson.
Having survived the politically correct onslaught of hyper-progressive culture for the last 23 years, it seems perhaps one is more deserving of an award for freedom and speech.

--
This isn't really that big of a surprise to me I've tended to find myself agreeing with them a lot in the past, but a lot of people are talking about this so I figured I may as well post it here to gauge your guys' thoughts on them officially stating it.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Re: Trey Parker and Matt Stone Come Out as Republicans to a Room Full of Hollywood Elites

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:32 am

They're allowed to vote and belief as they please and as far as I know they're not hurting anyone so whatever.

Some people just love the stick up their ass when it comes to South Park.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: Trey Parker and Matt Stone Come Out as Republicans to a Room Full of Hollywood Elites

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:07 am

I'm just glad they're triggering people.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am

really not that surprised, they've seemed to lean in a rightward direction for quite a while, even as they tried to maintain plausible deniability.

but i say this as someone who has no real interest in south park or parker and stone in general, someone more involved with their story might have a more accurate assessment than i do.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:48 pm

In other news, water is wet.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:00 pm

so brave

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Maybe it's just that I didn't know who they were before coming into this thread, but I don't see what's newsworthy about the announcement beyond it's location. Loads of people are Republican. Some of them work in Hollywood.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I would take an America where Matt and Trey defined the Republican party instead of Trump.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Slow news day, huh?

The source of this article also tends to have a mixed record of accuracy and shows strong right wing bias.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Bomby wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 pm
Slow news day, huh?

The source of this article also tends to have a mixed record of accuracy and shows strong right wing bias.
Is that important to this story?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 pm

^ Yes, because it's not left wing bias.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:10 am

^^A "mixed record of accuracy" is definitely important.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:02 am

I mean, who's to say they didn't "come out" as Republicans for the joke just to see if Conservative news sources would pick it up? Interestingly, I only find this story on right-biased sites, and the only sourced information, though it's from 2008, had them aligned with the Libertarian Party.

I can't believe I spent any amount of time researching this tbh, however brief.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:39 pm

ok
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Return to “Current Events”