It is Now illegal in the UK to be, "grossly offensive"

Moderator: Deku Tree

Bad Dragonite

It is Now illegal in the UK to be, "grossly offensive"

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 am

Alternate headline "Count Dankula Convicted"

In what many have called a landmark case that has been postponed multiple times the verdict was finally reached for a Sottish man known online as Count Dankula. Known for his, "edgy humor" and his outspoken opinions on politics while being a self named comedian, the youtuber has been convicted today under the communications act for being, "grossly offensive," for what he claims is a joke youtube video where, according to him, he taught his pug to do a nazi salute to annoy his girlfriend. The sentencing will be happening later today and he does face potential prison time.

_____

Personally I'm completely flabbergasted by this and never believed he would actually be convicted. I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of consequences this is going to have later on down the line. There are many actually anti Semitic Muslims preaching in the UK in Mosques so I'm wondering if they'll be charged with anything and I wonder if this is going to lead to mass censorship in the country. Like, will you be able to view shows like South Park there? I'm honestly really take aback by this. Dankula, even if you didn't agree with him, was generally an okay guy who liked having a laugh at stupid memes. Which also has me wondering if any memes will be censored now. I mean it's essentially the same thing. I'm wondering what's gonna happen with this.

Slight update: people are very upset. Just a little while after the news broke now and #freedankula is the number 2 trending tag on twiiter

-
Word now is that his sentencing is not happening today and will be postponed for one month. The prosecution has been pushing for several years in prison so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

New! Tazy Ten

Re: It is Now illegal in the UK to be, "grossly offensive"

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah, no. The UK in general is not looking good right now and it seems to have its head on backwards as far as what is actually a major issue and what is not.

Anyone that speaks critically about the country might get the same treatment if they're not careful. If they can't figure out what is a nazi and what is a joke don't expect them to understand what is hate speech or discussion either.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm

By the way if anyone wants to see the original joke video it's currently in restricted mode and can't be shared normally and has a viewer discretion warning on it but it is still on his channel for now, just search up Count Dabkula's channel and the video is called "m8 yur dugs a nazi"

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Such a determination is subjective, leaving it ripe for abuse. One person's silly joke is another person's end of the world.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Seems to be the applicable bit of legal guidance is here (specifically category 4):

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/s ... cial-media

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to send or cause to be sent through a "public electronic communications network" a message or other matter that is "grossly offensive" or of an "indecent or obscene character".
That would seem to imply viewing it is also an offence, since doing so would involve sending the media over a network.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:13 pm

If it has to be an offence it should be a very minor offence. Like, a fine or something. Sent to prison over it, though?

I agree with Shane, the subjective nature of the law makes it ripe and open for abuse.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 am

Bad Dragonite wrote:There are many actually anti Semitic Muslims preaching in the UK in Mosques so I'm wondering if they'll be charged with anything and I wonder if this is going to lead to mass censorship in the country.
In response to the first question, just in case it isn't a sarcastic rhetorical question, we all know the answer; no. As for censorship, yes. A video game was recently banned in the UK, actually, and it's only going to become more common over time if things keep moving the way they are. It's a slow process, eventually there will be nothing even resembling free speech. They have the right to bear arms though, so they won't take it sitting down.

Oh, wait...

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:52 am

Yeah, this is ridonkulous.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 am
Bad Dragonite wrote:There are many actually anti Semitic Muslims preaching in the UK in Mosques so I'm wondering if they'll be charged with anything and I wonder if this is going to lead to mass censorship in the country.
In response to the first question, just in case it isn't a sarcastic rhetorical question, we all know the answer; no. As for censorship, yes. A video game was recently banned in the UK, actually, and it's only going to become more common over time if things keep moving the way they are. It's a slow process, eventually there will be nothing even resembling free speech. They have the right to bear arms though, so they won't take it sitting down.

Oh, wait...
Or, you know, they could take advantage of the fact that they're a democratic country and vote in people who'll change the laws. That feels like a somewhat more reasonable first step than starting a violent civil war in a nuclear power.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 am

They are lucky they can speak any freer than people in China, or at least they were lucky. Such a sweeping freedom of speech as granted by the US Constitution is rare. They do technically have freedom of speech, but it is limited to the discretion of the person in power who deems such limitation necessary with a range of exceptions that can be cited.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 am
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 am

Oh, wait...
Or, you know, they could take advantage of the fact that they're a democratic country and vote in people who'll change the laws. That feels like a somewhat more reasonable first step than starting a violent civil war in a nuclear power.
I'm sure that's going to work beautifully.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:15 am

At the very least give it a shot. Worst case scenario is that the UK looks even worse holding down its own populace.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:16 am

^^You should be. Between the Brexit referendum, Corbyn's takeover of Labour, and the catastrophe that was the government's performance in the last election, I think it's pretty clear that British voters have power, even if their use of it isn't looking so hot.

If they can get Boris Johnson into office without some secret cabal going "I say, that's a bit much", I've got a really hard time believing there's any cabal.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

^ I'm not even particularly politically knowledgeable about the U.S, so I'll take your word for it, but when a guy is facing jail time for being offensive I get the sense that it may be too late. This is the "slippery slope" people deem a fallacy in action, I hope the U.S never falls this far but there are already warning signs for sure.

See, this issue really shouldn't exist in the first place, and only does because there's no deterrent to prevent it so I think it was more of an inevitability than anything. It's not even that they shouldn't resort to civil war as a first step, they can't, and as long as that's the case they'll always be struggling against forces attempting to suppress and control them.

Hotel Security

Post by Hotel Security » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 am
Yes, because politicians always do what they promise once they get in offense and they never run into opposition from their peers that ruins everything they intended to do.

Sadly, this is all part of this "you can't offend anyone" thing which is, for the most part, led by the younger generation. So, anyone seen opposing this stuff is seen as "supporting evil, offensive people." So I'd expect to see more legislation in favor of this, rather than less.

My recommendation would be drink heavily, party it up and snort everything you see and you'll be dead early before this stuff gets really oppressive.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm

That's an even worse solution than civil war without weapons.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Not that it prevents it, but the US Supreme Court has affirmed you can say whatever you feel like saying. This is why actual free speech does not care about feelings. There is a growing desire for censorship. There are growing ways to silence people. However, those ways are not to toss them into a cell or other legal ramifications. Granted, in this case, nobody was even offended. It was deemed that people needed to be preemptively protected from offense they may have.

Hotel Security

Post by Hotel Security » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm
That's an even worse solution than civil war without weapons.
Got a better idea? :D
Shane wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 pm
Granted, in this case, nobody was even offended. It was deemed that people needed to be preemptively protected from offense they may have.
We're getting more and more of that. It doesn't even matter if anyone is actually offended by something. It's just declared "offensive" regardless. It's pretty lazy since folks don't want to look at things on a case-by-case basis anymore...they just want a blanket rule to ban it all so they don't have to think.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 pm

He actually finally put out a response to his own sentencing.

[Curse word warning]

---

I think one of the comments really puts things further into perspective here because in the original video he specifically said he wasn't racist, but the court disagreed and labeled him as racist, (he even jokes that he may be Scotland's first "court appointed racist") but the thing that the commenter pointed out was they weren't even just arresting him for thought crime, they were arresting for a thought crime he didn't even really commit. Their claim is that it was maliciously racist and that he specifically put the video out to be offensive to minorities when he specifically stated it wasn't. That means the court has now decided his thoughts for him.
Last edited by Bad Dragonite on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Current Events”