If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Danica Roem of Virginia to be first openly transgender person elected, seated in a U.S. statehouse

Moderator: Deku Tree

Deku Tree

Danica Roem of Virginia to be first openly transgender person elected, seated in a U.S. statehouse

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 am

The race focused on traffic and other local issues in suburban Prince William County but also exposed the nation’s fault lines over gender identity. It pitted a 33-year-old former journalist who began her physical gender transition four years ago against a 13-term incumbent who called himself Virginia’s “chief homophobe” and earlier this year introduced a “bathroom bill” that died in committee.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... 59c3938807

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Danica Roem of Virginia to be first openly transgender person elected, seated in a U.S. statehouse

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

That's a pretty impressive victory. Congrats to her, and to Virginia.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Re: Danica Roem of Virginia to be first openly transgender person elected, seated in a U.S. statehouse

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Time will tell if she's good or not, but I'm not gonna say this victory wasn't deserved. Her opponent handled himself horribly and didn't take her seriously so this is what happened.

Plus she said her identity isn't newsworthy or political when both parties tried to make it a focal point which is always a plus in my book.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 pm

It's also funny that in my town the incumbent politician (doesn't say which office he's holding but I'm too lazy to look it up) lost to a woman after he made a jab at her being a woman. Hoboken, NJ also elected its first Sikh after a smear campaign branding him a terrorist.

Also a 93 year old WWII veteran is mayor in the nearby town of Tinton Falls.

NJ is breaking all kinds of records rn too. REPRESENT!

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 pm

The district I lived in up until the end of college elected a Democrat to the state House. All I've seen since I got here were signs for the Republican nominee. I lived in a small town in the Bible Belt. WHAT IS LIFE. Like I'm pretty sure the newly elected is still a WPM but if you'd ever been here you would know that this is a marked change.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm frankly surprised at Virginia, what with the whole debacle in Charlottesville. Plus, I have a friend who works at state fairs and when he went to one in Virginia it was all Trump signs and Confederate flags.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Prince William is closer to the DC area, which is honestly the portion of the state that makes Virginia a swing state at all. Most of NoVA is left-leaning.

Return to “Current Events”