If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Las Vegas Shooting at Mandalay Bay

Moderator: Deku Tree

ScottyMcGee

Las Vegas Shooting at Mandalay Bay

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am

Still unfolding from last night, a shooter (possibly more than one?) fired upon a country music festival in Las Vegas at Mandalay Bay. Currently, 50 have died while approximately 200 are injured.

I won't be posting any articles because it's so fresh that there are some conflicting reports on numbers. Supposedly, the shooter has been identified as Stephen Paddock, a resident of the area. He killed himself after the shooting.

There are dozens of harrowing social media videos, being that people were already recording the concert. The following is a compilation of just a few that goes in chronological order. Viewer discretion is advised - the videos are distressing and there is also foul language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxzECZPZ1g

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Las Vegas Shooting at Mandalay Bay

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

I've been keeping up with this. It's absolutely horrible. He fired into the crowd from the 32nd floor of a nearby hotel building with an automatic weapon.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 am

That's what I was thinking based on how some videos try to zoom in on the building, but I couldn't find out for sure where he started shooting from.

EDIT: This NPR report just popped up on my FB news feed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ent=202702

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Pretty crazy. This is the deadliest mass shooting in American history.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Ignoring the usual people speaking from armchairs, there's a lot of people moving to help Las Vegas recover from all of this and good for them! The more the better!!

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Random User wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:20 pm
Pretty crazy. This is the deadliest mass shooting in American history.

I'm confused. How is this the deadliest mass shooting?

Wounded Knee, Bloody Island, Elaine, Tulsa, and Colfax all were shootings. Do they not count because they weren't done by only one person like this was?

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 am

I'm not sure. No one got around to setting up clear boundaries for defining what a mass shooting is and isn't, but in terms of a single shooter, it's been the deadliest attack yeah.

Google took down his account but I found a link from January 2015 of a Google Maps thing with lines for the trajectory of the hotel room and the concert area drawn out. Presumably made by him.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 am

IS has claimed responsibility, though apparently that hasn't been verified and police are still trying to determine the motive.

I'm already seeing conspiracy theories floating around on Facebook. Joy.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:14 pm

^Huh. Weird.

It'd be funny, well, not at all really, if they got confused with another plot they were planning in the same place and thought was executed.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 pm

The IS claim isn't being taken seriously from what I've read. They've made false claims of responsibility before and jihadists generally don't shoot themselves.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:36 pm

^ As bad as it is to say it, it sounds like they're trying to be opportunistic.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm

Did anyone else hear or see this?

This was actually one of the first videos I saw of the event. I thought there was going to be more about this. Some reports said it was the shooter's significant other but that was debunked when they found out she was out of the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSq9T8Nuya0

Skip to 5:13

(the flying emojis are annoying as ****)

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 am

It's weird. The guy is a multimillionaire, yet goes on a shooting spree that he's been planning for a long time. He doesn't fit usual terrorist profiles - but he's wired money to the Phillipines, which is dealing with Muslim trouble too. :confused:
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 am

Sorry to be off topic, but to clarify, we're not "dealing with Muslim trouble" here in the US.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Gosh it's almost like anyone can be a terrorist or something... even white Christian people. (Who are historically the ones you should really be afraid of in North America.)

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:13 pm

How about not spreading unjustified fear at all?

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 pm

And here's what the government will do to help prevent another attack like this:

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 am

It doesn't really matter how you rationalise this kind of action when you take it. Son of Sam took orders from his neighbor's dog. It's an unhealthy, angry and self-diminishing mind that lashes out in this way. The same people are vulnerable to all kinds of suggestion and reason, and it's the isolation of their thinking that creates these scenarios. You can dress it up any way that you like, but it tends to come back to the same end result. This is similar to how a suicidal person's mind may deal in rationalising a justification to self-inflict.

The human mind is many things, and even the act of unchanging repetition has its effects upon the mind. Trying to target and punish would-be bogeymen is not any kind of positive reinforcement, it's a reactionary bandaid that does nothing to actually prevent anti-public hostility. Spree shooters are people trapped in their own mind where everything has culminated in this rationalisation. We can look at things like this in a collective fashion, but it all comes down to individual minds and bodies producing individual actions. The more people are decent to one another and supportive, not simply providing harsh criticism to one another but actually positive reinforcement and a clear path to better engagement, the better off we all can be.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Current Events”