If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Post by PataPanfan » Tue May 09, 2017 5:32 pm

and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

lol

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue May 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Didn't expect that.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue May 09, 2017 6:00 pm

You'd think Trump would've learned by now that firing somebody can't stop them from testifying against you.

But wait a minute.... [quote="Herr Trump]I have received the attached letters from the Attorney General [...] recommending your dismissal[/quote] ....Sessions had to recuse himself from this whole affair; he most certainly should not[/I"] be making recommendations of this kind.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue May 09, 2017 6:07 pm

^They're saying that this was over his handling of the Clinton investigation, not the Russian links. Which, if true, would obviously be a full reversal of the Trump team's opinion of said investigation for the entire election campaign.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked that Trump's policy positions are actually being determined by an elaborate game of Mad-Libs.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm surprised this didn't happen almost immediately. But okay.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Who has gigantic drooping jowls and would do the same? This guy:

Good [expletive deleted]ing job, Trump.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Are people still talking about Russia?

The rationale I heard is that Trump already had a reason but was waiting for an excuse to justify it. If it's about Clinton, I don't think there's anything new on that front since both sides of have been attacking Comey over his handling of the situation.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 pm

"The new president wants to appoint his own officials" would've been excuse enough....if he'd done it 3 months ago.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 1630112, member: 1"]Are people still talking about Russia?

The rationale I heard is that Trump already had a reason but was waiting for an excuse to justify it. If it's about Clinton, I don't think there's anything new on that front since both sides of have been attacking Comey over his handling of the situation.[/QUOTE]
A mountain of evidence that a presidential campaign colluded with a totalitarian foreign government isn't something that people easily forget. Especially since it was conveniently timed right after Comey asked for more resources to look into the whole Russia affair.

Of course, our man-child of a president will just keep spouting out lies and calling everything "fake news," even though his preferred news source of choice has a very mixed record in factual reporting. Not sure how much longer that will keep working for him, as more and more of his supporters jump ship and join the real world.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed May 10, 2017 8:52 pm

[USER=25169]@CaptHayfever[/USER] says the thing most people are thinking.

Effectively this summarises what most people are thinking: http://www.mtv.com/news/2991360/the-whole-russia-thing/
If you're trying to cover something up, the general idea is to make suspicious events seem benign, not the other way around.
At some point, I have to wonder if Trump's administration is akin to Nintendo's handling of the NES Mini: Either the Trump administration is overly naïve and stupid... or they're evil and corrupt: Choose one.
The level of sloppiness that it takes to accidentally make a benign event like this seem shady and conspiratorial is nigh unbelievable. On the other hand, it seems equally impossible that people who are this bad at appearing unsuspicious are actually pulling off a vast global conspiracy. There's no way to hypothesize an explanation about "what's really going on" — where "what's really going on" could run the whole gradient from "this Russia stuff is xenophobic innuendo" to "Trump is a Russian-intelligence asset" — that doesn't sound either thickheaded and incurious or wild-eyed and paranoid.
Pretty much that. At this point, I could be half convinced that Russia was doing their own thing, that they had a few ties with people in the Trump campaign but are hush-hushing it -- ties that could be above or below board, I can't tell -- but the fact that things happen when they do are so unlikely that you can't help but wonder.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 11, 2017 12:18 am

I thought Russia was just a meme by now.

Both the left and the right have criticized Comey of being incompetent for their own reasons. Some of them seem to have conveniently had a change of heart.

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 am

well, there's a pretty big difference between criticizing someone and pointing out their failures, and saying "the timing of this is really **** weird and everything overall about the situation seems odd"

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 am

People have been calling for him to be fired for a year first since he let Clinton get away with being a criminal and then because it was his fault that Trump won. The timing is perhaps sketchy, but they got their wish.

PataPanfan

Post by PataPanfan » Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 am

okay

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 am

Trump praised Comey previously for his handling of the Clinton emails, then fired him with the excuse that he mishandled the emails right after he called for a grand jury to look into the Russia matter.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to put two and two together, but you do have to be willfully ignorant not to see through his transparent ********.

This isn't about whether or not Comey should have been fired. It's about the circumstances surrounding the timing of his firing and Trump's sudden reversal of opinion on the matter.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 am

Let's take that people have wanted Comey fired over Hillary's emails. Fine, let's set that aside for a bit. Trump praised him for the handling of the emails and is suddenly firing him because he changed his mind suddenly about it all. This, the man who said he'd appoint a special prosecutor to throw Hillary in jail because of the email scandal. It's been proven time and time again nothing bad came of her having a private email server in her home. It was never hacked, yet people are more focused on that than Trump's sketchiness involving all of the lawsuits and scandals he's fallen into. You want to know why? Because there's a (D) after hillary's name. I'm sure if trump suddenly had a private email server in Mar A Lago that the same people who criticized Hillary would defend Trump over the same damn thing.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 pm

People believe Trump ever liked Comey? The only surprising thing is that he wasn't fired day one or at least closer to it.

How did Vlad get his hands on Podesta's and the DNC's e-mails but miss Hillary?

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Thu May 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Because Hillary's emails were probably more secure or they just didn't. Asking "why didn't so and so do this" in any case isn't a subjective defense when someone commits a crime. Look at the comments when Trump is accused of something and people will defend him with that same generalized rhetoric. The problem is, it's a distraction. Why didn't Vlad get Hillary's emails? Maybe they did but couldn't find anything incriminating. Not getting Hillary's emails doesn't excuse the other meddling that was going on in the US election.

With what we have now with what's going on, it looks very incriminating for Trump and that his administration may be hiding something. Sure he handled Clinton scandal poorly but why fire him now on the recommendation of those who were happy Comey was investigating Hillary's email server? Or were they upset that the FBI didn't prosecute her? How the Democratic Party feels about Comey had no part in his firing. What was it about Comey's handling of the email investigation that had the trump administration so upset? Or is there something more to this the public isn't being told. Those unanswered questions is why people are shell shocked by this news.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”