If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 1630256, member: 1"]People believe Trump ever liked Comey?[/QUOTE] I don't believe him saying it, no, but it's hardly unreasonable to expect a bit of gratitude for the person who tipped the election in his favor at the last second.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 am

Keep in mind, this is the third time Trump has fired someone investigating him. Let us not forget Sally Yates and Preet Bharara.

It's like watching a starfish cutting off perfectly healthy arms and hoping they grow back before anyone notices. But people will notice something fishy about a two-armed starfish.

BTW here's a nice quote from Trump's interview with Lester Holt yesterday:
“When I decided to just do it I said to myself, I said, ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story.’”

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri May 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Colbert's audience missed the memo. They cheered Comey's firing and had to be taught that they were supposed to like Comey now and pretend to be upset by Trump.

We've been warned that Hillary's e-mails were hacked by those who don't leave fingerprints. Apparently the Russians only use their dirty hacks for things that nobody cares about like making a political candidate look bad, leaving their fingerprints behind on everything (not to be confused with the CIA's tools that leave others' fingerprints behind to frame them). If they're that inept that they really are that easy to catch, how scary is the boogeyman really?

Even if she wasn't short of help, Hillary tipped the election in Trump's favor.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri May 12, 2017 6:17 pm

"This is sketchy as hell" =/= "we like Comey now". I don't understand why people keep insisting that they're the same thing.

Yes, Clinton ran a absolutely crappy campaign & it was idiotically shortsighted for the DNC to insist upon a candidate who was known to have that much baggage. Still, with a vote that close (the narrowest popular vote margin since 2000, the narrowest electoral margin since 2004, & an electoral upset), the very last major news event regarding a candidate mere days before the election surely played a part in the results, & it's naive (at best) to suggest that it didn't.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri May 12, 2017 8:07 pm

^ That's exactly it.

I don't know how good Comey is at his job. To some degree, the letter that the deputy attorney general wrote makes sense. I get it. Comey has done a myriad of weird things within the past year or so, so I recognise that there could be legit reasons for his sacking.

But on the flip side, the fact that Trump has pretty much come out and said that he was going to fire Comey regardless of the deputy attorney general's and attorney general's recommendation means that the whole thing seems less about the actual reasons presented and more about the fact that Trump and Comey were a conflagration ready to explode the petrol that the Trump administration seems to have in bulk. And considering that some of the reasons that were floated (e.g., the FBI rank and file don't like Comey) don't seem to be true make the whole thing a little less palatable.

Yes, Trump is in his legal right. But that doesn't mean he's in his moral right. I don't think anyone (here) is saying that Comey should have kept his job or not; we're saying that Trump vents his anger about anyone who's investigating his administration's [fill in the blank with anywhere between relevant or nonexistent] ties to Russia and seeks to possibly impede said investigation is worrisome.

In other words, follow the standard Republican mantra regarding law enforcement: If you're completely innocent of wrongdoing, then you have nothing to fear or be upset over?
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat May 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Would Comey's firing stop any investigation, to the extent that there is one, in its tracks? I would hope that bringing down one man does not bring down an entire multi-billion dollar federal organization and also the US Congress.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat May 13, 2017 3:03 pm

The investigation will continue until a new FBI chief is appointed who then orders it to end. Whether it continues past that point depends on whether the investigators are willing to mutiny for the sake of justice....or whether Senate Republicans are willing to put country before party for a freaking change & appoint a special prosecutor.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun May 14, 2017 7:20 pm

[QUOTE="Shane, post: 1630362, member: 1"]Would Comey's firing stop any investigation, to the extent that there is one, in its tracks? I would hope that bringing down one man does not bring down an entire multi-billion dollar federal organization and also the US Congress.[/QUOTE]
Let's recall a certain "email" scandal that many Republicans were irate over... the fact that Comey announced, at a certain point in time, that Hillary Clinton would not be charged despite there having been some amount of truth to classified emails being sent. Would a different person in charge of the FBI handled this differently? Would different results have happened were there someone else in command?

Now fast forward to a world where Trump has indirect influence over whomever is going to fill the spot that will provide the final say-so on the investigation.

Stop the investigation in its tracks? Heavens no. But influence the results of said investigation? Even if this is a slightly more paranoid viewpoint, tell me that these maths don't sound like possibility.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 am

Comey made some poor decisions. Trump firing him because he's concerned about qualifications of his staff is a total farse, though. The guy's whole cabinet is riddled with unqualified people.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 am

That goes both ways. Anyone who has been seeing little red men around every corner for 6 months has questionable objectivity. Although in that case, I'm not sure they are putting party first either. Blaming Comey, the Russians, Assanage, etc. to try to make it look like the loss was outside their control doesn't address that the platform seems to be broken. It may play well in places like California, but the majority of the states in the county are responding unfavorably. This isn't just about Trump either. This was one of the most sweeping Republican victories in a century that extended across all levels of government.

I don't imagine Obama preferred the person he was campaigning for have an open investigation against her, and certainly not have it reopened a week and a half before the election.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm

I think most progressive types would agree with that assessment. I lamented early on this election cycle that the fact that we have another Bush and Clinton running for office last year gave me the creeps. I have no qualms about a female president, and I generally believe that a lot of the whispered rumours regarding Hillary were either unfounded or were a result of the 1990s crusade against her being an untraditional First Lady (see also bumper stickers of those years that read, "Impeach the president... and her husband too!"). The fact is (a) she didn't inspire her party (roughly half were Sanders supporters... and still are, really), (b) she never talked practically about what she would do as President and instead just became the "anti-Trump nominee," and (c) just had a lot of baggage that she wasn't able to shed because of her natural associations to her husband.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue May 16, 2017 4:54 pm

NYT reporting that Trump asked Comey to end the Flynn investigation: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/p ... .html?_r=0
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Inb4 Trump posts a tweet today with the phrases "failing New York Times" and "Fake News" after that story got reported!

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”