If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Trumpcare narrowly made it through House of Representatives

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

Jesus

Trumpcare narrowly made it through House of Representatives

Post by Jesus » Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 am

Can anyone tell me the real benefits of this for the average American? I can't seem to find any. What I have read though is now rape, surviving domestic abuse, having a c-section, and post-partum depression are now considered pre-existing conditions which means if you fall into any categories that health insurance companies can charge you higher rates when you apply for coverage. That's just **** up. The Republican Party is claiming those with pre existing conditions will have lower premiums but the text of the bill says the opposite. Certain people who want to keep their Medicaid will also be required to work in order to have health coverage. What does that mean for those who are on it because they can't find a job due to low employment in their areas? They are probably stuck there because of a lease or family ya know? Can anyone give me a good argument for Trumpcare please? This is a challenge and also to see what light there is for the average American. I'm grateful to be a dual Canadian citizen and can easily leave if it means my needs can't be met here.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 am

[Mod note: I have edited the title of the thread to reflect the fact that the bill has only passed the House so far (by a narrow margin of 4 votes, as both the original and current titles note). The Senate has not yet voted on it.]

Basically, the benefits are only for people who need very little healthcare (the young & healthy, or those rich enough to pay for their own treatment), for the insurance companies themselves (who get to refuse coverage for riskier clients), & for certain politicians (who could watch a lot of their opposition voters die).

All that said, the Senate does not seem fond of the bill as it currently stands. They're already drafting their own version & might not even vote at all on the one the House passed. I mean, 20 GOP Representatives voted against it; surely a measly 3 GOP Senators could be swayed.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 am

To away three GOP voters it isn't as easy as it sounds. With many of them facing re-election next year knowing the bill is unpopular, they are caught between a rock and a hard place. The ones I can see most affected are the ones living in poorer rural communities (and yes I'm taking a jab at the fact it will affect most of the people who voted for Trump because they wanted a voice). It's either get scrutinized by your own party and those who remain loyal to Trump, or get scrutinized by the majority of the country who are actually against the bill entirely.

That aside, I can't understand how with healthcare being a basic human right, we need to make it tougher for those who can't afford health insurance to get the medical needs they deserve just to live. A lot of other developed nations provide free care by the government. Living in the richest nation of all, why can't the US provide this basic right to its own people? Why should healthcare be a business on capitalist principles? I work in healthcare myself and am disgusted at how it's run.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri May 05, 2017 5:14 pm

It eliminates some of the issues highlighted since the beginning as the most problematic, which people have very clearly opposed but been ignored about by a government that thought they would just go away. The thing about Obamacare is that you can't really get rid of it because it's so invasive. Thanks to Massachusetts voters ironically enough, however, it can be chipped away at through reconciliation.

Despite its disingenuous name, the Affordable Care Act was never about affordability. I wouldn't want to get sick in the US before, during, or after it. I wouldn't want to get sick in Canada either.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Shane please tell me the issues it is eliminating! If it's eliminating issues then please elaborate. I want this information if it's going to affect me or someone I know. I want the facts. The "benefits" aren't being highlighted anywhere.

Edit:damn it Shane. If you know anything bad being fixed by Trumpcare please give the specifics. If you can explain the facts it would be beneficial so I can see an actual good side to this bill. Otherwise I am going to see the support for this bill in the same way people in Idiocracy watered their plants with Gatorade because of electrolytes (when asked about electrolytes their only answer was "it's what plants crave")

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat May 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Obamacare was a massive tax increase. This will pull back some of that and the deficit spending that goes along with it while not taxing people for breathing by requiring them to get healthcare they don't want or feel they need and burdening businesses with similar requirements while wasting their resources with red tape. Whether this is good or bad or indifferent is hard to say. The law has helped a very small percentage of the population, at the expense of the vast majority of others, so merely shifting a few provisions around may make people happier with it but I doubt addresses that it's a broken law that didn't do anything to fix a broken system.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat May 06, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm glad my tax dollars are being spent on bombing Syria rather than the well-being of my countrymen.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Leaves more in your pocket for when your premiums go up to four digits a month because some idiot hit you with his car and now you have to pay for rehab!

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sun May 07, 2017 2:44 am

Trump"care."

Actually, let's call it what it is: Ryan"care."

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun May 07, 2017 6:54 pm

The ACA was hobbled by bipartisan nonsense. Single-pay government healthcare works fine here.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun May 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Unfortunately it would take a miracle to get single payer in the states the way things are right now. The Republicans aren't gonna listen to that and even the Democrats poo-poo it every time it's brought up.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm

^ Cause the democrats, contrary to popular belief, are
a) Actually fairly right-winged
b) Are just as susceptible to briber-Sorry, I mean lobbying as republicans.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun May 07, 2017 11:22 pm

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1629830, member: 25415"]The ACA was hobbled by bipartisan nonsense. Single-pay government healthcare works fine here.[/QUOTE] Even Trump agrees that Australian healthcare works great.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon May 08, 2017 4:49 pm

The ACA looks like an attempt to implement such a system. It has been such a failure that insurance companies are fleeing states and eliminating any competition while everybody's premiums double in a couple of years. If you can create an environment where insurance companies go broke and don't mind screwing over those paying them in the process, the argument can more easily be made that a bigger idiot has to save the system. What better idiot than the American taxpayer? I don't trust the American government to run such a system, and the current one is probably too far gone anyway.

Fat_cat

Post by Fat_cat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 am

:bored:

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Mod note #2: That'd be better as it's own thread, particularly since this one has been dead for a month.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 am

Relevant: After crafting their own Trumpcare bill in closely-guarded secrecy for weeks, a committee of GOP senators finally released it to the public (& to everyone else in the Senate) for the first time. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, & 2 other Republican senators (whose names I don't remember 'cause they didn't run for president last year) have publicly voiced their opposition to the bill already; if they hold their ground & no more than 1 non-Republican supports it, the bill will not pass.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:15 am

It took Obamacare 14 months to pass, and by then, Senator Kennedy was dead, which is why it is so relatively easy to chop it apart. I would be surprised if it passes on the first go, but I would be almost as surprised if something else doesn't pass.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm

if they hold their ground
So it'll pass.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm

^Paul will probably hold steady since he's been pissed off about the entire way this was done. Cruz could go either way, depending on how badly he wants revenge. I know nothing about the other two.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”