If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

An article on the study of drug use by race

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

An article on the study of drug use by race

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm

"New Study on Drug Use Confirms What Black People Have Been Saying This Whole Time"
A recent study published in the American Journal of Public Health found that delinquent, non-Hispanic whites are more likely to abuse "hard drugs," such as cocaine or opiates, than their black counterparts, which might be news for some Americans. But for many blacks across the nation, the study confirms what was already known.

The study, which took place over 12 years, found that the rates of hard drug abuse was "highest among non-Hispanic whites, followed by Hispanics then African-Americans." The research found that whites were more than 30 times likely to have cocaine-use disorder, 50 times more likely to develop opiate-use disorder, and 18 times more likely have PCP-use disorder than blacks.

Researchers studied more than 1800 delinquent youth and followed their lives through their late 20s. "We found that African-Americans are less likely than other racial/ethnic groups to abuse hard drugs," Teplin said. "Yet, African-Americans are disproportionately incarcerated for drug crimes."

BREAKING: New study proves that you can save a lot of time and money by listening to Black people.

The results of the study called for two public policy efforts: Pointing out the disproportionate numbers of black Americans that are imprisoned due to drug-related arrests, and improving the services dedicated to helping prisoners, both before and after their sentences.
I recently got into a disagreement with someone regarding this article which basically says that whites have the highest rate of drug abuse. I called its validity into question, but I also simply don't believe race has much of a connection to drug abuse so it seems pointless and even racist to bother pinning race to the matter. Perhaps it could be important for some reason I am not considering, but the article itself (not the study) seemed to use the statistics as just another way to cause division and demonize whites or elevate non-whites. I wanted to know what you guys think of it.

It's a poorly written article to say the least but perhaps that itself doesn't actually discredit the core of what it's saying, maybe there's truth to it lurking beneath the thick tone of bias and grammatical errors. Like I said, it does cite a study, but anyone can provide a study to support a claim. Here is an article saying that Indians actually have the highest rates. It says that "we have long known that American Indian communities are particularly vulnerable to problems with substance use" and even goes as far as to say that something needs to be done "lest we lose another generation of American Indians to substance abuse and addiction." This says that blacks "use drugs at a rate 23 percent higher than the general population and whites."

My main points are that I'm not sure the study is accurate or at least definitive (plus that the article sucks), and that race doesn't really mean too much in terms of who does drugs. I think environment, culture, and intelligence are more important factors.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Note that this studied delinquents; criminals are often poor and abuse drugs. I don't think this study can conclude anything beyond the substance abuse patterns of juvenile criminals.

The article tries to spin it a bit like it's applicable to the general public.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

The article is poorly written because it's from Yahoo News; they didn't conduct the study, though.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 pm

The significance of the study is in this line:
Researchers studied more than 1800 delinquent youth and followed their lives through their late 20s. "We found that African-Americans are less likely than other racial/ethnic groups to abuse hard drugs," Teplin said. "Yet, African-Americans are disproportionately incarcerated for drug crimes."
The demographics of drug sentences do not reflect the demographics of drug users.

I haven't read this specific study, but these sorts of things are almost never trying to say that race X uses drugs because they are race X.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Thu May 04, 2017 6:20 pm

The article is a bit skewed. It doesn't take into account the substance abuse that's prevalent among the middle and upper class. New England itself has a rampant heroin epidemic that started because of how many patients were overprescribed pain killers. Maine, the whitest state in the country has 5 heroin deaths a DAY.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”