If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The State of the Mainstream Press

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

Bad Dragonite

The State of the Mainstream Press

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 am

This is so funny and so sad, guys.

I'll preface this first, this guy is an amazing troll, he's been described as god-tier, and he had been reported on all throughout the media as having said he was hiring protestors to protest at the Trump rallies (to possibly discredit those protestors, at least that's what you think at first). He had a business name, a website, everything but if you looked at the numbers it didn't add up and if you went to the website it literally said "Need not apply" Tucker Carlson (I know some of you understandably probably hate his guts but he did a god job here) realized this and went after him on it all right away, he pointed out he had fake name, a fake business partner, a fake business, a fake address, he went through the math and pointed out how these numbers didn't add up at all, he called him out on trying to fool the media and de-legitimize the protestors. He had all his facts checked ahead of time. I just want to say that Fox News according to what you'd expect SHOULD have ran with this if they were fully biased for Trump and not trying to get to the facts. I'm not gonna argue there isn't any bias at Fox, they obviously do have some but if they had no journalistic integrity they could have just ran with the story to say all Trump protestors were paid off or whatever, but they didn't and they actually did their fact checking. It just seems so sad to me that such an obvious troll would be able to get his story covered by basically every outlet of the media because they just wanted a headline and wouldn't fact check an FOX NEWS OF ALL PEOPLE turn out to be the credible ones here. HOW THE ACTUAL HELL. Now IT TURNS OUT, that was what the troll was trying to get across, throughout the video he just says more and more ludicrous things, by the end he actually finally breaks character and tells Tucker "God bless you for actually doing your fact checking" This was so hilarious and so sad to me that state of the mainstream is so screwed that FOX NEWS IS THE CREDIBLE ONE. HOW?!

[MEDIA=youtube]h7HTFno3Lvw[/MEDIA]

I was just gonna post this as a one off but I figure the topic of media dishonesty would be something we could discuss here potentially. I dunno but this was just interesting o me ha.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:10 am

The news media is in dire straights for many a reason. To compare with your statement, news companies are now being run like a business trying to get the most eyes on it regardless of if it's worthwhile or not. People are hired, told to produce an article quicker than anyone, and just add in the facts later. There are tons of other reasons: greed, wanting to use your job as a journalist to preach rather than inform, possibly even fear. It's really bad and especially when they have egos big enough to fill the room. The kind of people that would hit a kid with a car than sue the family for denting their bumper.

It's increasingly odd to me that Fox News ends up being the one that looks good sometimes when I remember them calling Jack Thompson an "expert" on video games just so he can release his hate boner for Rockstar on national TV. Not that they're perfect either, but I don't like everyone following them into that same pile of mud really.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:25 am

Fox/Newscorp displays favoritism toward neoconservatism, but likely considers Breitbart competition and the ongoing Bannon power grab to be very contrary to appropriate political behavior.

News media is largely clickbait. I have to look up actual research and firsthand accounts myself more and more as they all become more viewership obsessed. Ratings are the death of truth. Truth is often unpopular and it does not care about your alliances.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:55 am

Of course there's bias. Some are more biased than others. Some are more investigative than others. That's the nature of the biz.

But ultimately, in today's day and age, the media is competitive. You have to get things first. You have to get the most clicks or viewers. Because then you get all the advertisement dollars and your competitors don't. And so the media thrives on scandal. They thrive on conflict. They want there to be sensationalism everywhere so as to make bookoo bucks.

That's not to say all media is worthless. That's not to see that every reporter in an otherwise biased media company is worthless. But one does have to be aware and "do the maths" to make sure that what you're consuming is legit. Because that's what the news is these days: a consumable. We consume, and we "pay" to consume it in the form of ads.

And with consumption, we have to ensure that we have a balanced diet. Everyone has the responsibility to ensure that one is reading from a variety of sources; diversify your news. Read liberal, read conservative, read balanced, read local, read national, read international. Read as much as you can, and cross-check where things go awry.

Ideally, that should take care of itself. Ideally, we shouldn't have to do this. But at the end of the day, there's a stock price or a profit margin to reach, and the transition to digital and the continual decrease in online advertising has forced companies to sometimes compromise their standards.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:35 am

Oh man, I love Tuck. He's just great at shredding libs.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 pm

whoaaaaa whaaat? the media is stuppid? maannnn. i didn't know that!!!!1111
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:38 am

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1621220, member: 31048"]whoaaaaa whaaat? the media is stuppid? maannnn. i didn't know that!!!!1111[/QUOTE]
They aren't stupid, thats the problem, they're willfully ignorant.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:31 am

[MEDIA=youtube]iM8jF7I_VRQ[/MEDIA]

Michael Wolff giving his opinions both on the interviewer Brian Stelter and the media that he is a part of.
Here's the summary from the youtube video, though it's more interesting watched than read.

Published on Feb 5, 2017
During an at times combative exchange today on CNN’s Reliable Sources, The Hollywood Reporter columnist Michael Wolff criticized host Brian Stelter over the style and approach Stelter has taken of late on his program.

Wollf came on to essentially make the case that the media as a whole has been overreacting to the presidency of Donald Trump and what it means to journalism as a whole. After Stelter explained that the editor of the New Yorker told him that this is “an emergency” and that “journalists have to act differently,” Wolff dismissed it as the editor just being “personally offended and upset.”

Wolff did admit that he is “sucking up a bit” in order to get access to the White House, he said he didn’t necessarily know if he was going easy on the White House to gain that access. He further noted that this is something they’ve done with every administration. This then turned into a conversation about whether the media was at war with Trump.

The discussion eventually switched to Wolff’s take on how Stelter, CNN’s senior media correspondent, revolving around the writer’s criticism of Stelter in a recent Newsweek piece. When asked by Stelter what he he thought was wrong with his style or substance, Wolff gave the following response:

I mean this with truly no disrespect, but I think you can border on being sort of quite a ridiculous figure. It’s not a good look to repeatedly and self-righteously defend your own self-interest. The media should not be the story. Every week in this religious sense you make it the story. We are not the story.

When Stelter hit back, asking why there wasn’t room for one hour a week on CNN for this, Wolff responded by saying he loved the show but he wished Stelter “wouldn’t turn to the camera and lecture america about the virtues of the media and every one trying to attack it.”

Wolff would also go on and say the front page New York Times now looks like 1938 Germany every single day, with Stelter pushing back against that characterization.

“No it does not,” he exclaimed. “Give me a break.

Watch the exchange above, via CNN.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:42 am

To be fair, the White House did essentially declare 'the media' to be enemies.

There's always someone with their head up their ass, jumping at shadows. I wonder where all our FEMA camps went?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:50 am

Probably better hidden now.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:37 am

The media let Trump know they were his enemies, and he just responded in kind, which he loves to do. The media was a key branch of the Clinton campaign, and not just the "Clinton News Network". Even the "ultra conservative" Fox joined in to an extent.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Is that why they had his surrogates on 24/7 to deliver the latest spin?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:37 pm

I'd like to link this video of Philip DeFranco expressing thoughts that I find are relevant and that I agree with basically completely.

I'd make a long post about it, but I'd essentially be reiterating what he says in different words. The TL;DW summary: there's a difference between facts and spin, and it's important to be critical of what is what, regardless of what side of the aisle you find yourself on. Facts are critical. Spin can be dangerous. At times, facts can be embedded in a spun story, and it's important to parse what is what and always to fact-check.

If the timestamp fails, the section I'm talking about starts at 8:25.
Carthago delendum est

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Facts are important. Spin can be dangerous. Outright lies are unacceptable. And the Trump administration is outright lying to us. Conjuring up a fake massacre is the most ridiculous information the government has promoted in a very, very long time.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:07 pm

[QUOTE="Bomby, post: 1621428, member: 17840"]Facts are important. Spin can be dangerous. Outright lies are unacceptable. [/QUOTE]
Very much so. Well said, I'd add it to my original post if I'd thought of it myself.
Carthago delendum est

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Cable news networks are **** in general, though not as bad as most small scale "independent" news sources. Major newspapers (either national or local) and historically reputable publications in general are where it's at right now. As they have always been in general.

If the media seems biased against Trump, it's because reality itself is biased against Trump. This is someone who straight up lies when facts show that he is incorrect, who throws a hissy fit whenever anyone criticizes him, who denounces any judges who block his executive orders, who seems to think he was elected dictator instead of president, who fires anyone who dares disagree with him or correct his inaccuracies and lies, who claims that there was massive voter fraud with zero evidence, who is attempting to censor science-related government agencies, who doesn't want to take security briefings.

Of course the media is going to seem overwhelmingly biased against him; he generates his own negative press by being incompetent and dangerous. It takes zero bias to report that. The newspapers endorsed Clinton because Trump is uniquely unqualified for the position. He is nothing but a mediocre businessman whose entire career is based on the fact that he made a celebrity of himself before going bankrupt several times to the point where no one would back him, and all he does is lend his name to things that other people built. He had zero political experience before taking office, and has the temperament of a twelve-year-old. His whole life has been based on "winning" and "losing," which frankly isn't how post-Cold War politics.

And that attitude unfortunately seems to exist among a large part of his supporters who don't understand that politics is about governance, not "winning" and "losing." That people are protesting him because of his actions, not because they're being "sore losers."

Politics isn't team sports; there are real-life consequences to elections. The news is going to report on those consequences. Trump will continue to look bad because he is actually being bad. No spin needed.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Who on Fox was as in the tank for Trump as every news anchor on every other station was for Clinton? Hannity maybe. Most people were pulling for some other candidate. Megyn Kelly even made it her personal mission to destroy Trump. She failed miserably, but it didn't matter because she just went to CNN where she could hate him without pissing off half her audience. Then they replaced her with a white male who drew substantially higher ratings, leading to calls of "racism" and "sexism". Not that I'd pay much mind to Fox either, but they just look more conservative by comparison as opposed to being actually overrun by far right wingers.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Megyn Kelly went to NBC.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Because Trump was such a terrible candidate that even most of the people Fox News didn't want to endorse him.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Are we still pretending Clinton was the better choice?

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”