If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The UC Berkeley Riots

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

S1x

Post by S1x » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 am

skimmed this topic

People in this topic please please please make sure you separate the concept of "the rioters" (which nobody supports, and which I hear is a dedicated group of troublemakers most of which aren't students) and the ~90% of everyone who demonstrated peaceful protests until it got unwillingly hijacked. I'm sure most media has blended those groups together and it's not a fair way to approach this.

longer post later
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 am

I don't know the details but that sure is convenient that the blame can be so deftly shifted away. Was every other recent leftist riot due to this mysterious anamoly as well?

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 am

^No, but it's a problem that some places, including Berkeley, have had before; anarchist groups called "black blocs" walk onto open campuses in cities & hijack peaceful student demonstrations to cause mayhem. They don't support the protesters, but they're also not opposing infiltrators either; they're only there to wreck stuff.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

S1x

Post by S1x » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am

^ thank you for saving me words

Also CL hit all my points so never mind on the long post
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Bad Dragonite, post: 1620947, member: 32425 wrote:It's called sarcasm.
Sure thing champ. Out of curiousity - has he actually done anything to combat suicide, or is he just using it to make another jab at women? Does he do charity work?
Until I find out though hope your theory on how jet fuel can't melt steel beams works out.
Saying this like I wasn't referring to historical precedence? If you'd like me to start condescending, I can.[DOUBLEPOST=1486142681,1486142384][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bad Dragonite, post: 1620966, member: 32425 wrote:plus the way I see it if this is accepted speech at a college campus, then even if they were saying horrible things I'd say they deserve a platform like anyone else.
I don't condone racism or racial hate in any fashion. If your point was that any movement can contain dissidents whose irresponsible and irrational message shouldn't be allowed to discredit the larger group, I agree. You're right on that one.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 pm

^Well see what worries me with BLM is White Genocide and #killallwhitemen were kinda big at the time of that video
Of course the thousands who marched in cites chanting "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want em? Now" and BLM activists saying "I love your white tears" or calling them "Toilet bowl complexion cave beasts" may disagree. (See Godzi Kodzo a youtuber with ovr 46,000 subscribers currently for the last two)

but hopefully you're right.

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1620972, member: 25169"]Sarcasm doesn't work on Twitter unless you're a seasoned comedian so people are familiar with your voice & read the tweets that way.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
Well that was my point, anyone who had followed him knew he was joking.[DOUBLEPOST=1486161245,1486161071][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1620976, member: 25169"]^No, but it's a problem that some places, including Berkeley, have had before; anarchist groups called "black blocs" walk onto open campuses in cities & hijack peaceful student demonstrations to cause mayhem. They don't support the protesters, but they're also not opposing infiltrators either; they're only there to wreck stuff.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
Black Bloc isn't actually a group name, it's a tactic name used by Anarcho-communists, which is fitting since alot of them carry anarcho-communist flags into the riots. The idea is the group no longer becomes a "group" and instead acts as one entity. So someone can go do something messed up like beat a person with a metal pole, then if police come up, just meld back into the bloc.
It's antifa, I've been telling this to people for a month or so that this group would drown out their actual criticism, but instead people have just tried to defend it until now. I also told them that not all these people on the right are fascists, but that lie continues.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:05 pm

There's a petition up to get the president to declare ANTIFA as a hate group.

https://www.change.org/p/president-of-t ... ganization

I think they are terrorists, but here's where it gets complicated. ANTIFA is short for "Anti Facist" but they believe anyone t the righ of them to be a fascist but the rub is IDK if someone could use that to justify removing support for anyone who says they are "Anti Fascist"

I suppose they wouldn't since ANTIFA is a proper name, but man it's gonna so annoying if we go from everyone on the left calling their political opponents "Racist, sexist, homophobe, fascist, etc" to people on the right calling everyone they disagree with as "Antifa" I doubt it'll happen but if it does that'll be annoying and bad to say the least.

That said pretty much everyone on the right that I've listened to is anti fascist, that's why they hate ANTIFA so much. Now it's even more confusing.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Well, seeing as apparently everyone on the left is a plant paid for by George Soros, I'm sure ANTIFA can fit in somewhere.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 pm

apparently there was a dispersal order given to the police before 5:30 but they didn't actuall enforce it so alot of people got in and got assaulted because of it. Stefan Molyneux put up an interview with a woman who she and her husband were assaulted and caught on video for anyone who's interested. Her husband would've been interviewed too but he's still in recovery at the hospital.[DOUBLEPOST=1486169049,1486168662][/DOUBLEPOST]according to her account many of the people who were actually supposed to be peaceful protestors were actually getting involved in the rioting tripping people spitting harassinghelping destroy things. At one point her friend got pepper sprayed while doing an interview then the cameraman accused them of being violent after getting sprayed. That said she also said she thinks some of the people there who helped them may have also been protestors.

Along with that when she herself got pepper sprayed people were asking if the police did it when the police weren't even around and it had literally happened right in front of em then when she said it was a protestor they were just like huh thats weird. When she went to the hospital in the morning she told the attendee she had gotten pepper sprayed the attendee was like "good for you for standing against Milo" lol
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Saying this like I wasn't referring to historical precedence? If you'd like me to start condescending, I can.
I don't doubt the administration will take advantage of this, but I severely doubt they have anything to do with it simply for the fact that ANTIFA has been around for a while now. Just most people on the left ignored it. Heck alot of people on the right didn't pay much attention to them.

come on now come on now don't get your foil hat in a bunch. :tongue: nah but seriously I'm just poking fun, man.[DOUBLEPOST=1486170949,1486170387][/DOUBLEPOST]plus I don't know how often you check twitter but the "it's okay to punch a nazi" meme has been going on a long while now, and left leaning media like the young turks have constantly been perpetuating the idea that everyone on the right is a nazi for much longer now. So again it seems more like something that naturally evolved from that. These things didn't just show up they've been escalating for a while now.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 am

Ben Shapiro, another writer and speaker who has been met with similar responses on college campuses to Milo despite the fact that he has spoken out about Milo doesn't really agree with/like him that much gives his opinion on the situation.

[MEDIA=youtube]xlLxlw7UTZw[/MEDIA]
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:47 am

I want to like Ben Shapiro. I mostly agree with him but he rubs me the wrong way. Milo is pretentious and I feel like he is probably sexist.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1621038, member: 18119"]I want to like Ben Shapiro. I mostly agree with him but he rubs me the wrong way. Milo is pretentious and I feel like he is probably sexist.[/QUOTE]
Any basis for that?
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:23 am

Just his tone and general cattiness. Sexist may be too strong a word though, I don't want to be a hypocrite and throw it around willy-nilly (something I despise).

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:55 am

He's catty to everyone ha. That's just a part of his personality. It may be stereotypical, but it's just how he is.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:18 am

Maybe. I don't know enough about him but I agree with a lot of his views too, and he subverted my expectations which I commend. When I ran across his videos I thought, "Here we go, SJW LGBTLMNOPXYZ123+ SSj5 Snowflake orally **** his dumb views in 3, 2, 1..." but I actually kinda liked him.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:52 am

Yeah he says some inflammatory stuff from time to time, but at the end of the day he's a cool guy. (And a bit of a nerd for that matter though that doesn't show up much anymore since he's gotten so popular, too busy I'd imagine)
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 am

[QUOTE="Bad Dragonite, post: 1621019, member: 32425"]"it's okay to punch a nazi" meme has been going on a long while now, and left leaning media like the young turks have constantly been perpetuating the idea that everyone on the right is a nazi for much longer now[/QUOTE]
I can sympathize that people on the right are not necessarily nazis or fascists just because their policies aren't uplifting or based in reality, similar to how not all leftists are all psycho manhaters just because they're hyper vigilant for unfairness on behalf of others, they just get carried away. Then both sides characterise one another.

The whole 'ironic' rhetoric of being racist/sexist, etc, is only good for a laugh with your pre-existing in-crowd, while it will attract actual racists and sexists. Similar to all the 4channers who started out merely being 2edgy4u and joking about racial stereotypes, all of it spilling out onto the rest of the net just looked like any other bunch of supremacists with an extra helping of 'top kek' comments. It's now the honest norm there.

Both of my grandfathers, while German first-generation immigrants, fought in World War 2. Their friends died at the hands of Nazis and I received their medals for safe keeping when I was younger. My English ancestry fought and survived both the Germans and the Italians. Their brothers died in combat. My black relatives don't leave the cities, for fear of persecution. Racist police target them when they commit no crimes, impound their vehicles, arrest them for 'stealing' their own possessions. They lived through racial integration, they remember the lynchings and the warnings, the beatings. The danger of fashionable and officiated fascism is real.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:26 am

Some folks found an article that they think might link the College to the riots

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/01/31/berk ... nnopoulos/[DOUBLEPOST=1486373182,1486372539][/DOUBLEPOST]One link in the article goes to a site stating the dance party was supposed to be a separate event from their own but that it was organized by an ally group. While that same link does say their goal is not to use violence it also talks about the revolution and so on and the main oped itself talks about using illegal means to get what they want. Idk if this will actually stick, but it's definitely suspect and shows alot of organization.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Where?

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”