If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

First Presidential Press Conference Only to Release Lies, More to Come

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 am

Nah, that's what load-bearing walls are for.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:14 am

Oh right, because I had a typo where it said "roof" instead of "proof" hahahaha
You're still wrong.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1621334, member: 18119"]He's the president, he is privy to information others aren't. I don't see the problem here.[/QUOTE]
I don't live in the US. There aren't other events going on. Terrorism isn't terrorism if it's not publicly visible. This is where the 'burden of proof' actually becomes important. Not just when you want to call a hatemonger a specific thing. The President does wield powers of information, provided he actually goes to the briefings and doesn't fire or chase out everyone in the intelligence community, which exceed or extend beyond those of the press on occasion. If he had information which is not published, or the press is ignored, he could make any kind of statement about it in specificity. He didn't.

If he wants to make accusations with the weight of a political office, in a nation where the Freedom of the Press is guaranteed by law, he needs to do so with proof. Otherwise, he is being outright deceitful and fear-mongering.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 am

[QUOTE="My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller, post: 1621364, member: 25415"]I don't live in the US. There aren't other events going on. Terrorism isn't terrorism if it's not publicly visible. This is where the 'burden of proof' actually becomes important. Not just when you want to call a hatemonger a specific thing. The President does wield powers of information, provided he actually goes to the briefings and doesn't fire or chase out everyone in the intelligence community, which exceed or extend beyond those of the press on occasion. If he had information which is not published, or the press is ignored, he could make any kind of statement about it in specificity. He didn't.

If he wants to make accusations with the weight of a political office, in a nation where the Freedom of the Press is guaranteed by law, he needs to do so with proof. Otherwise, he is being outright deceitful and fear-mongering.[/QUOTE]

Like Vgf said, it "wasn't the main point of the speech so I doubt he'd care to sit down and give a huge presentation of examples." Also a sad piece of trivia, America is relatively low ranked on freedom of press (forgot where I saw it). That we aren't #1 is bad enough.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:44 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1621366, member: 18119"]Like Vgf said, it "wasn't the main point of the speech so I doubt he'd care to sit down and give a huge presentation of examples." Also a sad piece of trivia, America is relatively low ranked on freedom of press (forgot where I saw it). That we aren't #1 is bad enough.[/QUOTE]
Sure thing, I'll just have a bowl of humble soup when he really totally gets around to actually backing up his insubstantial accusations and exaggerations. I'm sure in this very incredibly probably future scenario, there will be no spin and it'll just be an honest fellow sharing some of his knowledge, sources cited, with the rest of us simple plebs.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 am

Use sea salt in your soup, supposedly it's somehow healthier than regular table salt.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:50 am

^ I prefer kala namak. It suits my edgy anti-hero image.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:14 am

You are right in a sense though, I do wish he would've gone into more detail, but I can understand why. No doubt it'll most likely have a spin, but news sources alot of times do appear like to cover those things up or at least downplay them or just simply not report much on them. It's like how when the mosque shooting happened and twitter was lighting up, left wing news sources were all over it, then it turned out they had a Muslim man in custody as a suspect, the left went quiet but then the right jumped right on it, then it turned out he was let go and labeled a witness while the other suspect ( a white Trump supporter) was charged. Alot of right wing folks went quiet on that one and the left jumped back on it. They try to either stay quiet, or shift the narrative hence why alot of sources tried to say things like the riots were just protests or just not reporting the violence. The only thing is there are alot more left leaning sources than right in the states so even if the right was willing to report on it it usually gets drowned out by whatever story CNN is trying to shove down everyone's throats. /rant about media and party bias.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Partisan reporting is definitely very irresponsible.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Later in the day, the White House published a list of attacks "executed or inspired" by IS. Before the list was published, press secretary Sean Spicer said there were "several instances" of attacks that had not gained sufficient media coverage (without specifying which fell into that category).

We have reproduced the list that was subsequently produced below, and explained what happened in each case and whether we reported on it.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38890090

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Hell, even Deadspin was able to refute that list, & they're a sports blog.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"!

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:03 am

I think we all got played, guys.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
lol
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 am

^man, people are *******.

Just so many people are being ******* right now.

It's like everyone completely forgot how to not be a complete and total ******* to everyone else.
Carthago delendum est

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 am

^?

I was only using the tweet because I thought it illustrated the point better than I could have on how the Trump administration may have intentionally led the media into sharing these attacks to get people on board with the ban and to show that I wasn't the first one that came up with the idea.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:49 am

^^ True.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 am

^^I could see Bannon coming up with that strategy, but not Donnie himself. Regardless, it was still slanderous, because it was both harmful & false. Also, the media was pointing out how they'd already reported those incidents (except for the ones which, as Deadspin pointed out, were not significant incidents), so that info was already available to the public; nothing was new. And none of that justifies the fact that the only countries who have actually produced terrorists who've killed Americans were STILL excluded from the ban--countries in which, again, Trump has business interests, while he has none in the countries covered by the ban.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:22 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1621528, member: 25169"]^^I could see Bannon coming up with that strategy, but not Donnie himself. Regardless, it was still slanderous, because it was both harmful & false. Also, the media was pointing out how they'd already reported those incidents (except for the ones which, as Deadspin pointed out, were not significant incidents), so that info was already available to the public; nothing was new. And none of that justifies the fact that the only countries who have actually produced terrorists who've killed Americans were STILL excluded from the ban--countries in which, again, Trump has business interests, while he has none in the countries covered by the ban.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
Most people probably forget about a terrorist attack like a week later, unless it was very significant. Having all these websites list every single one out could certainly potentially sway some opinions. If that was the intention, what a sneaky way to go about things.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 am

Smart though. Too smart for a politician or a...whatever Trump is.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 am

Scam Artist.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”