If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

First Presidential Press Conference Only to Release Lies, More to Come

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

First Presidential Press Conference Only to Release Lies, More to Come

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 am

This thread exists to document the outright dedication to deceit being carried out by the current presidency.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... urce=atlfb

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cass ... -necessary
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:07 am

He didn't really lie on the crowd thing. The pictures they tweeted out were taken early in the morning where the actual number grew substantially later. THAT SAID While yes it comes off the media just screwing with him to make him look less impressive, it could've just been a mistake. It shouldn't have been a big deal for anyone anyway. On Trump saying it's the "most viewed inauguration of all time" it could've been but it probably wasn't. It comes off more as hyperbole than an actual lie though so it doesn't really bother me either way (if only because it was definitely one of the most viewed without a doubt).

That said the new yorker article comes off as an opinion piece rather than news. Also the imagery they use to describe the protests "women (and men) walking along in their pussycat hats laughing and singing" casts a huge contrast to all the violent outbreaks and riots that also happened at alot of these protests.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:16 am

^ the crowd size shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, so why lie about it?

Even if the picture was taken early and more of a crowd showed up, that's not the only metric that was used and they all pretty much agree that this was not the most-watched inauguration. There's really no reason to lie other than to stroke Trump's ego and also put journalists in a negative light.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 am

Like I said I think it was oversold for hyperbole's sake and it was definitely one of the most viewed so I just don't care. If you're gonna point out every tiny lie of a politician as if it's the end of the world then nobody will take you seriously. What's the main thing politicians are known for? Lying via hyperbole. I mean all the power to you I'm fine with trying to point out Trump's faults ( as long as they're legitimate) , but the fact is there's been dumber lies with worse consequences from presidents throughout. I'd say save the steam for a bigger lie.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 am

It's a fight between egos so brittle and tempers so explosive that a light breeze makes them upset for weeks. Trump is pretty similar to really bad journalists in a sense which is why they play off each other so well. It's going to come to a head and I don't think the press is going to win this battle.

^^ Because the initial pictures implied that no one showed up at all? I don't care about numbers but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that empty looking or there's be more pictures circulating on how devoid of people the inauguration had. If it was anyone but Trump this wouldn't even be a debate. But he has to say he's the best.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:29 am

The pictures were right.

Edit: the overhead shot, that is. There's some random bleacher shot that looks early in the morning and wouldn't be a reliable measure anyway.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:52 am

im rich, ive found a salt mine

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:09 am

IDK but this was floating around Social media

And this was the actual inauguration

-Bow Chika Bow Wow

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 am

Hmmm... I heard that was early morning. Eh... Social Media never gets the news right immediately. Though that's pretty much a given with anything. Should've been more observant. :sweatdrop2:

However, it is also the case that Obama's inauguration in 2009 (the picture being compared to Trumps in 2017) was the largest gathering of this event ever. It was the first Black President after all. So many wanted to be a part of history. It's dishonest to compare them regardless of reasoning. It's like comparing the crowds of Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade to a Mardi Gras parade in the middle of February, if that analogy makes any sense.

Comparing Star Wars premier crowds to Mad Max Fury Road? Call of Duty to Deus Ex? .... HISTORICAL EVENT VERSUS NOT HISTORICAL EVENT. THERE.

Apparently, the crowds stopped getting accurately measured after 1995, but there is an "estimate" of Obama's first inauguration being 1.8 million. Compare that to estimates of George W. Bush's 2nd inauguration getting 400,000 and Bill Clinton getting 800,000 and you'll see there's some dishonestly/ignorance going on here.

^ I don't know... that looks only a little bigger? The angle is shifted giving the crowd the focus while the picture on top is giving the empty space more attention due to the road being an eye catching white. Regardless, the Obama inauguration picture definitely has more people in it, not that it's something easily beaten anyway. Hopefully we'll get an estimation at some point? It might go a long way towards actually confirming if this is above average or not.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:46 am

Well you also have to mind the language, did they say "Most watched" or "most people present?" because alot of people watched at home definitely. I dunno if that means much but it could've been one of those times where they try to cover their ass with slick wording. It's not even important enough for me to really care to research further tho
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:52 am

No no no, my head hurts just thinking about that sort of slippery wording...

Attendance. I only care about attendance.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 am

But while we're talking about the inauguration and waiting for the next link, what do you guys think of the Madonna comments about her wanting to blow up the white house?[DOUBLEPOST=1485161693,1485161574][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Festivus Ten, post: 1619584, member: 19345"]No no no, my head hurts just thinking about that sort of slippery wording...

Attendance. I only care about attendance.[/QUOTE]
Ah but then they'll be like, "We meant viewers" which could include tv, social media, attendance. By the time the numbers are even near being estimated it's more meaningless than it already is. Hence another reason why there's not much point in reporting on it.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:02 am

Celebrities are taking turns trashing the establishment pretty hard because it's "cool" right now. They all got black eyes during the election so they're mad. They want vengeance but they don't know or care how they get it. Pretty sure saying you want to blow up the White House isn't gonna get you many friends long term though. If I said that I'd be talking to the Secret Service on how that's a no-no, but I don't have millions of dollars and ties to important media types. So, whatever.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 am

[QUOTE="Bad Dragonite, post: 1619570, member: 32425"]IDK but this was floating around Social media

And this was the actual inauguration

Image[/QUOTE]
These pictures are not contradictory, though. Count the number of sections until the crowd thins out, and they match. The first picture is just taken from a higher angle and from the back.

I don't really care about the fact that not a lot of people showed up for the inauguration, because whatever. But the point is that this string of lies--er, sorry, "alternative facts"--is being hammered out by the presidential administration over something that should be completely innocuous. If they are so adamant about lying about something so pitifully meaningless on the second day of office, what other more important things might they be willing to lie about down the road? Oceana has always been at war with Eurasia?
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 am

Why is Trump so concerned about the crowd size?

I mean, replace "crowd size" with "penis size". There's your answer.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm

The administration also claimed the Women's March had fewer attendees than the inauguration, when the opposite was verifiably true.
And they also blocked the freaking Parks Service from tweeting over that picture.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1619610, member: 25169"]
And they also blocked the freaking Parks Service from tweeting over that picture.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
This is the one that really freaks me out. For an administration that got a lot of votes for upholding the 2nd Amendment, they sure seem to be OK with infringing on the rights of the 1st.
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1619596, member: 23215"]These pictures are not contradictory, though. Count the number of sections until the crowd thins out, and they match. The first picture is just taken from a higher angle and from the back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't buy that.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Of course you don't.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Of course you do.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”