If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Net Neutrality might end.

Moderators: Deku Tree, I am nobody

VG_Addict

Net Neutrality might end.

Post by VG_Addict » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 pm

https://gizmodo.com/heres-the-fccs-plan ... 1820683360
The order, if passed on December 14th during the FCC’s open hearing, would effectively abdicate the commission’s authority to regulate ISPs under Title II of the Communications Act, significantly curtailing oversight of broadband access.
Say goodbye to the internet as we know it if this passes.

Deku Tree

Re: Net Neutrality might end.

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Contact your Senators and Representatives. Mine are, unfortunately, Cruz ("NN is ObamaCare for the internet"), Cornyn (co-sponsored a bill to get rid of NN), and Ted Poe (wrote me back, but isn't supportive of NN and isn't seeking reelection). Contacted a few Congress people that aren't mine too.

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Real talk? Some judge is probably going to put a stop on the ruling if it passes, or something is going to be made to keep everything from spiraling out of control. Too many people are mad to accept anything but victory at this point.

Not to mention that the very people lobbying to get rid of Net Neutrality can only stand to lose by taking advantage of its absence. ISPs will either lose money as everyone sticks to the cheapest basic package they can, or opt out of the internet altogether when they refuse to stomach the costs. Social media websites that were once free will now have a price and for a lot of people the lack of a price is the only reason they don't just leave. Eventually every business that relies on the internet suffers and it'll lead to the internet as a marketplace going bust and probably for good.

But hey! They can get more money from their customers for a month, maybe a year if I'm being generous. Totally worth it. :thumbsup:

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 pm

I had a dream about this ******* FCC guy last night.

I killed him in the dream.

Yeah.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 pm

We'll see how much /pol/ likes Trump when their ISP decides to block 4chan because it's a "controversial" site and it's not included in any of their packages.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm

^Mine isn't on the committee, but I'll spread the word.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

FCC unsurprisingly is voting to end it. Keep calling. Congress can still shut their efforts down.

Steven9wii

Post by Steven9wii » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 pm

this is the worst thing to ever happen.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm no fan of the change, but that seems maybe just a bit hyperbolic.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Worst case scenario is that ISPs might make you pony up more cash for services like gaming or block competing sites, yeah? That's definitely a downgrade from what the US had before but not the absolute end of the world.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 pm

I don't remember there being such problems 2 years ago. Not that there couldn't be. I don't trust ISPs to not screw me, which is why I'm glad I can just cancel one and go to the other when my new customer discount expires. Of course, I don't trust many of the companies opposed either. In any case, I wouldn't expect much out of Congress. The gridlock is about to get even worse.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 pm

X-3 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm
Worst case scenario is that ISPs might make you pony up more cash for services like gaming or block competing sites, yeah? That's definitely a downgrade from what the US had before but not the absolute end of the world.
Maybe if their prices are reasonable then the price hike may not be a big deal, but they shouldn't have any power to impede how you use the Internet.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:43 am

Prior to net neutrality laws, there were a few cases of providers throttling connections to competitors' things.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:20 am

^^That's the thing, the price hike would in the form of impeding usage. If they were just raising their rates normally, there wouldn't be nearly as much of an uproar, because the higher rate would still include full web access.

^Not only that, but some of these ISP guys have said explicitly that they would do it if they legally could.
Shane wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 pm
I don't trust ISPs to not screw me, which is why I'm glad I can just cancel one and go to the other when my new customer discount expires.
I can do that too, but a lot of people live in places where they only have one option for their ISP.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm

The whole "Two years ago" is hugely misleading. The FCC has more or less been enforcing net neutrality since 2005. It's just that they lost a lawsuit and then made the 2015 rules that basically said they could enforce the same rules they'd always been.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

So my uncle, mom's youngest brother, apparently spoke against Net Neutrality on August.

This is actually quite impressive - seeing as he has been dead for ten years. So unless someone with the exact same name moved into the exact same address as he did at the time, looks like some of those reports about "people coming back from the dead to speak against net neutrality" reports are indeed true.
Shane wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 pm
I don't remember there being such problems 2 years ago. Not that there couldn't be.
Probably because stuff like the whole netflix fiasco happened more than two years ago.

CaptHayfever wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:20 am
I can do that too, but a lot of people live in places where they only have one option for their ISP.
God, I hate when people say "oh just get another one, because we have x amount" or "You have this many ISPs here! You clearly have competition!"

Competition my ass - whenever I call them, EVERY ONE except ONE either says
a) "Sorry, we only service condos/apartments"
b) "We only service businesses"
c) "We only service this town"
d) "That's outside our service area, sorry."

At one point, ****ing Qwest would service our neighbours... but not us. We were literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THEM. They could service the people across the street (From them)... but once again, their "area of service" seemed to miraculously end right as their property did, so the people directly across from us couldn't get Qwest. So we only used Comcast because if we didn't use comcast, then we didn't have internet. At all.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:10 am

Netflix were throttling their own traffic for years. Then they started paying for fast lanes. While claiming all traffic should be equal.

I only have competition because there is Fios. I guess satellite is pretty decent now, but I have never looked into it.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

Cravdraa wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm
The whole "Two years ago" is hugely misleading. The FCC has more or less been enforcing net neutrality since 2005. It's just that they lost a lawsuit and then made the 2015 rules that basically said they could enforce the same rules they'd always been.
This has been bugging me. I wish outlets would stop reporting it as “Obama-era Net Neutrality,” because that automatically makes the anti-Obama people grab their shotguns and American Flags and start firing into the air. Obama didn’t make Net Neutrality, it was a long-standing practice that was upheld during his time in office. People need to get that straight.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm

It was passed along a party line vote and removed with a party line vote by unelected officials. Of course people are going to take sides of regulation vs. deregulation because the sides have already been taken. I'd be open to warranted regulation, but what I keep hearing is a lot of what if scenarios talking about how you can't trust big corporations, unless they are among the ones who take the same side. I would expect the support for this to grow if something negative actually happens from it.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”