MIDI 2.0

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Valigarmander
Supermod

MIDI 2.0

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:52 am

After 36 years, MIDI is finally moving to 2.0.
What springs to mind when I say "MIDI," gerbils? Is it perhaps thoughts of an old Gravis Ultrasound or Sound Blaster AWE? Expensive Roland synthesis hardware? Perhaps you're actually a musician who still uses the Musical Instrument Digital Interface to this day. Despite being virtually unchanged since its release in 1983, MIDI remains by far the most popular digital interface for musicians. At the 2019 National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)show, the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) just announced that it is in the preliminary prototyping phase of drafting the MIDI 2.0 standard. ...
I, for one, am excited for the upcoming VGMusic renaissance.

smol Kat

Re: MIDI 2.0

Post by smol Kat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Didn't realize MIDI had been around that long!

Also, VGMusic used to have forums. That's how I got my start. I was wee little babby high school student. Their archive is fantastic, too, and is how I learned to git gud at sight reading.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:02 pm

I like MIDI but don't really understand it. I just remember downloading a bunch of video game music that used the file type or whatever, so the word invokes some nostalgia from when I was kid. Didn't know it was that old and presumed it died out, glad it didn't.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:50 pm

ok listen as one of the few people who actually still goes to vgmusic.com regularly i am actually super-excited about MIDI 2.0

i dont know if its going to be a new standard for general MIDI or if its just an interface thing but either way the possibilities are incredible
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Return to “Music and Podcasts”