VGF Listening Club: THE RETURN

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Re: VGF Listening Club: THE RETURN

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 am

"Sober" HYO
Dancey dancey goodness, easy to listen to, though not something which really sticks with me since it's pretty genre-predictable, but that's okay. It's definitely a track I would add to a playlist for hanging out or cleaning, since it's pleasant, boppy, and has a good vocalist.

"Strapped" A$AP Twelvvy
There's definitely honesty to this song and a surprisingly calm smoothness. I wouldn't normally associate that kind of relaxed feeling with an otherwise quite serious rap song, but this one is showing both readily.

"Canal St" A$AP Rocky featuring Bones
I like the groove to this song a lot, it's got that special Something some rap songs have which appeals to me. I haven't figured out what that Something is, but it's present here, and I'm on board to listen to this one a few more times.

"I" Taeyeon featuring Verbal Jint
The melodies and progression make the theme of being freed pretty evident, even without translating the lyrics. I can see how it would become a meaningful song to anyone needing that sense of escape.

"California" Grimes
This actually comes across as quite saccharine, and by extension, dishonest to me. Obviously not the same thing everyone will take from the track, but I just can't find the sense of what's genuine in here.

Thanks for the songs, Bomby! I'm going to be replaying Canal St a bunch now. :D

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:30 am

1. HYO - "Sober"

This is actually a pretty nice song, it has a nostalgic kind of tone to the vocals and melodic progression that communicates a more subtle emotion that is less common in pop overall. Great voice, good human element, nice presence and a video with a heavy sense of reminiscence

2. A$AP Twelvyy - "Strapped"

Track has a very 90's vibe to it. I like the ambient melodics mixed very wide with the hard but narrow beat elements. The scale and reverb with extra vocal elements remind me of a period and style in music that has definitely been missing from life. Similar feelings of nostalgia for me on this one.

3. A$AP Rocky f/ Bones - "Canal St"

Another rap track with a lot of big space chamber reverb mixed out, strong narrow beats. The production gives this track a great sort of presence. The melodics in this track are minimal and supporting for the most part but the soft piano and choral sounds with occasional bell-like textures fill out the feeling well. Good pitch and consistency overall, keeps the energy consistent. The lyrics are bragging but the tone has it feeling pleading, and keeps a bit more grounded, sombre.

4. Taeyeon f/ Verbal Jint - "I"

This one has a strong vocal mix. The tone is more positive/warm and the drums are wider with more distinct individual instrumentation than the previous tracks you've included. The militaristic snare/drum track actually helps keep it not feeling too kitsch or overstated. The reverb and spacials of the guitar tracks, etc, are all working to keep the instruments feeling restrained, with the top end obviously more subdued on the backing instruments. That sense of fighting against restraint is pretty strong through the whole song, and the visual settings of working in a cafe, etc, all seem to function together to communicate a clear idea of the singer enjoying a struggling life, even before the lyrics fully establish that theme to my distracted mind.

5. Grimes - "California"

The spacials in this track differ a bit in that the beat is mixed somewhat fat, dry, and features more promenantly in the mix than the other elements. The bass synth is similarly very strong in this one, with a warm tone and scale. The scale and the excitement of the supporting melodics keep the song feeling very positive and lighthearted unlike the others on the list, while the lyrical message is distinctly simpler, more accessible. The vocals have a noticeable bit of harmonic distortion which also keeps the texture matching the rest of the track. Overall a nice track, with a kind of exuberance that certainly matches the theme of 'California' - very popcorn in quality, but not in a particularly bad way. It's the sort of thing that is good for a one-off listen, but with much rotation would probably wear on the listener's patience. Thankfully, I can have a listen to it and be a bit charmed as it suits my mood for now, without having to suffer it staying past its welcome.

Thanks so very much for sharing these, Bomby, your taste stands out and honestly this list helps me feel that there's still something new for me to think about in the music world. My top choices on the list would probably be "Sober" and "Strapped" but that's just if I had to choose. I think "Strapped" edges out "Canal St" for me just a bit for having a bit of a more sombre and natural feeling to it.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:47 pm

I'm dropping out. Don't really have the time for this just now. Sorry.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:32 am

No problem by me, sorry you don't have the time hombre.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:13 am

@Calamity Panfan we moving on?

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Yup.

My thoughts on Bomby's songs:

1. HYO - Sober: When I heard the beat i was thinking this was gonna be very Chainsmokersy bleh-EDM type stuff, but I dug this. I like HYO's voice and while the style of production isn't my favorite in the pop world, it works really well and is very catchy. Also her dancing is wonderful.

2. A$AP Twelvyy - Strapped: I thought the album this was on was just "okay" overall but this was probably the best track on the album. I LOVE P on the Boards' beat here. It's so damn smooth and that Sampha sample rules. Sampha should be sampled on every song. Just some classic-sounding New York ****.

3. A$AP Rocky feat. Bones - Canal St.: A.L.L.A. was such a huge growth in Rocky as a whole and I think this is one of the best tracks that exemplifies that. This wouldn't sound out of place at all on Live.Love.A$AP. but everything from Rocky's voice and flow to the production just sounds more honed in. Very good stuff.

4. Taeyon feat. Verbal Jint - I: This sounds absolutely triumphant. Taeyon's vocals are absolutely killer here. Like others I can see how this could be inspiring even before you translate the lyrics into English. And again, what a damn voice.

5. Grimes - California: You're absolutely on the money describing this as "abormally normal" compared to Grimes' other stuff. This is downright accessible (but again like you said, probably not the best introduction to her). It's a nice little song, and I like how she delivers "CAAAAAAALIFORNIA" but overall it does very little for me. I definitely prefer when Grimes just gets weird with things.

The random number generator has spoken and chosen.... @Marilincarnation to share music next!

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:57 am

On it! Too busy today with christmas concerts to dedicate the time, but tomorrow I will get a list of 5 up for y’all

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am

All right here we go

1. The Arcadian Wild - Leila

I'm not sure what this band is up to, as it seems they haven't released anything new in a while, but boy I hope they do. Their folk tunes are just so well-done. I love their instrumentation and arranging abilities, and their vocals are always on-point. This song in particular is a favorite of mine. Most of their songs are more pensive than this; this is definitely on the up-beat end of their spectrum. But the words are still heartfelt and the music is so bouncy and inviting. I love the line "I'd like you not to leave"--it's not begging or guilt-tripping, it's just telling it like it is. I'd prefer you to stay, but if you go, hey, that's up to you. That midwestern sensibility speaks to me.

2. Chance the Rapper - Work Out

I love Chance in general, but this song in general just has such a good vibe to it. Very positive, all around. Even if I can't relate to the song specifically, the general optimism and forward-progress that the song advocates really get me in a good mood.

3. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share

I used to say that Death Cab for Cutie was my favorite band. They're still my #2, but they have since been replaced by CHVRCHES. I love Lauren Mayberry's voice so much, and their style really appeals to someone like me who loves video game music but also normal people music. While I love their 2nd and 3rd albums a whole bunch, possibly more than their 1st, I don't think the band has ever produced one single song better than their first big hit, The Mother We Share. You may have heard it before and maybe I should have branched out to find something new, but, also, no

4. FamilyJules7x and Insaneintherain music

Since most of what I listen to day-to-day is video game music, typically as background music as I do work or homework, I thought I should reflect that in this list. These are two of my favorite YouTube cover artists, both of whom I've posted in various places on this forum in the past. FamilyJules7x does metal covers, and also has been included on some original music projects for guys like Danny Baranowsky (if you're familiar with the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack, Jules is the guitarist that plays in the Hot Side of World 3). Insaneintherain does excellent jazz covers--for his solo work, please check out what he did with Brinstar Red Soil and also the New Wave Bossa Nova. The guy is a wunderkind. But I thought this collaboration was excellent, and also exhibits the music from my favorite game soundtrack of 2018, Octopath Traveler.

5. Lena Raine - Scattered and Lost (Celeste OST)

And now for an OST, which is definitely my second-favorite soundtrack of the year, Celeste. While Octopath Traveler is a wonderful collection of music, Celeste is a phenomenal game soundtrack. Man, this game is good. Game of the Year 2018. This particular track is progressive as you hit certain checkpoints in the level, and it seamlessly transitions from movement to movement depending on what you've accomplished in-game. The track in isolation will build every minute-and-a-half or so, but imagine the dynamic music change as you play the game when you listen. Every time a new instrument is added to the loop, you've hit another checkpoint in the level.

So that's my list! My music taste isn't quite as adventurous as y'all, and sometimes I feel like it's pretty pedestrian compared to what all my friends are into, but I hope you like what I picked out!

Return to “Music and Podcasts”