If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Moderator: PataPanfan

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Post by PataPanfan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 am

The legendary heartland rocker and frontman of the Heartbreakers passed away today at the age of 66 after suffering from cardiac arrest. He was taken off life support earlier in the day and prematurely presumed dead by media outlets before passing a few hours later.

Petty produced hit after hit from the mid-1970s through the 90s. He was a master of melody - "Runnin' Down a Dream," "Free Fallin'," "American Girl," "The Waiting," "Mary Jane's Last Dance," you get the point. His had tons of mainstream appeal from the radio and MTV, but he had the voice of the everyman. He was absolutely sincere. He's responsible for a ridiculous amount of classic rock airplay, but in the 70s that unpretentious nature of his at times got him lumped in more with punk rock bands than the arena rock acts of the time. His brand of Americana didn't feel cheesy - Petty was genuine and respected for it. When alternative rock and grunge started dominating rock music more in the 90s and established acts from decades past struggled more to sell, Petty had a career renaissance. He continued touring and making (pretty damn good) music up until his death, performing what would be his last show ever just last week.

Tom Petty was a legend who stayed relevant as rock music changed around him, and did that by staying true to himself.

"American Girl" still ****ing slays, man.

ScottyMcGee

Re: RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 pm

2017 keeps rolling the punches :(

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Man. I heard about this at PT yesterday, but thought it was just my therapist putting me on (he does that he's a butt). RIP.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 am

I seriously loved his output and he was still pretty young. I'm sad to see him go, he was a good entertainer and had a good character overall. This was always my favorite of his songs:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "Breakdown"

and I really liked his work with the Traveling Wilburies

Rest in peace, Tom, you were a legend
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Music and Podcasts”