Best Concert You've Ever Seen?

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Best Concert You've Ever Seen?

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Hey guys I just saw Roger Waters live and it was probably the best show I've ever seen, so I was inspired to ask y'all what the best shows you've ever seen are.

My list goes like this

1. Roger Waters (Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI - 8/2/17) - Waters was simply incredible. Crazy special effects (THEY MADE THE DAMN FACTORY FROM ANIMALS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN STADIUM) and visuals. The sound was phenomenal, almost studio quality. I did think some of the political stuff was a little heavy-handed even as somebody who despises Trump, but hey I'm not going to hate on **** "Pigs" too much since it's an amazing song.

2. milo/Future Islands (Pabst Theater - Milwaukee, WI - 6/7/17) - Future Islands made my favorite record of the year with The Far Field and so I had to get tickets as soon as I saw they were coming to Milwaukee. Milo as the opener was a pleasant surprise since he's one of the best rappers working today, and one of the few great rappers that the state of Wisconsin has given the world. I got to be front and center of the pit for both bands, which you should know is crazy if you know what Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands is like on stage. I had so much sweat on me by the end and at least half of it was his.

3. EMA/Spoon (Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, Wi - 9/17/14) - Spoon is probably one of my top 10 bands ever, and this was my 20th birthday party. All hopped up on birthday cake, a good alcohol buzz and hype from their incredible They Want My Soul album that had just come out (it's my personal favorite album from the band), I broke down crying multiple times over the course of the show. Spoon kills it live. They were right on point every song. EMA was really cool too.

4. The Hood Internet/The Thermals/Matt & Kim (Majestic Theater - Detroit, MI - 6/24/11) - This was my first concert that I'd gone to without my parents. I went with ML, and it was a blast. I'm more into The Thermals than Matt & Kim, but both bands brought great energy. Especially Matt & Kim, who basically throw a damn party throughout the venue.

5. OK Go (Turner Hall Ballroom - Milwaukee, WI - 10/10/14) - My buddy bought the Spoon tickets for my birthday, so I treated him to one of his favorite bands the day after his. I like OK Go just fine on record, but they're not close to my favorites. However, their live show is pretty damn spectacular and fun. No two songs are alike and everyone's having a blast. Only complaint is that the DJ that played before sucked.

6. "Weird" Al Yankovic (Summerfest Grounds - Milwaukee, WI - 6/29/16) - "Weird" Al is so **** fun live and was perfect for Summerfest. The costumes and video clips and everything are just so damn good.

7. Borns/Glass Animals/X Ambassadors/Weezer (The Rave - Milwaukee, WI - 12/10/15) - I like 3/4 bands here (**** X Ambassadors), and Weezer was my first favorite band that I wasn't introduced to by my dad. Fun show overall. Wish I was closer, and wish they played more from Pinkerton (though I get why they don't play more from Pinkerton, because Pinkerton is a **** bummer)

8. CHVRCHES (Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI - 9/25/16) - Went with ML and another friend for my birthday last year. Had a pretty wonderful time. Opener was good but I don't remember who they were, I think they were local. Lauren Mayberry has such big presence for such a tiny person.

9. Lupe Fiasco (Summerfest Grounds - Milwaukee, WI - 7/2/15) - I don't remember much of this concert other than that I was hammered and absolutely lost my **** rapping along with Lupe's "Touch the Sky" verse. Sometimes that's all you need.

10. The Tossers/Flogging Molly (Summerfest Grounds - Milwaukee, WI - 6/30/15) - My first Summerfest experience, and at the time I was bad at Summerfesting (only one of the three of us that went were over 21 and we were just awful at trying to sneak alcohol in) I'm not huge on Flogging Molly now but they have a big of a nostalgia factor for me since I was into them about 10 years ago. Fun stuff.

Somehow neither time I've seen Kid Rock made the list. Neither did the time I saw Nickelback play the halftime show at a Lions game. Strange.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 pm

NIN is pretty amazing live, definitely something to experience. Especially back during the Fragility tour. I've seen them a decent amount of times.

I've seen quite a few. So many very competent bands, but there aren't nearly so many that have left me quite as particularly impressed.

KMFDM's always good with a very full and commanding presence, Weird Al was over the top, David Bowie was a world-class showman. I really loved seeing the Crystal Method live at Woodstock 99, they actually basically had a full **** studio rack and their set resembled Frankenstein resurrecting his creature. There wasn't a lot remarkable that I saw at the festival as the conditions were sweltering and miserable but that was a big deal. Anti Flag & the Unseen had a totally wall-to-wall packed venue when I was in Milwaukee, a lot of stage diving and crowd surfing going on. That was a really vibrant experience.

Probably the only performance I ever saw that really reached for and near matched NIN for competence and experience was Marilyn Manson, in support of Holywood, they're a very visual band.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Man, I'd love to see NIN live. Gotta be absolutely crazy.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:22 am

[QUOTE="Calamity Panfan, post: 1639892, member: 29448"]Man, I'd love to see NIN live. Gotta be absolutely crazy.[/QUOTE]
Some of it was just the cohesiveness and how clearly well thought-out the presentation was. Art and the frenzy of a live metal show at the same time, it was cool ****. This was a particularly memorable segment:

(warning: NSFW language, etc)
[MEDIA=youtube]9P40YxDJdAo[/MEDIA][DOUBLEPOST=1501734151,1501733287][/DOUBLEPOST]Though I'd really recommend you checkout any footage from the Self Destruct tour before that, back then Reznor was so manic, like he didn't expect to survive the night. Never got to see them then. It's really good to see him healthy and **** now and they're still incredibly proficient but in a slightly more comfortable way that doesn't quite evoke the same desperation and world that the music did back then. Post rock and video have been done since many times over, but the custom giant screens and stuff were otherwise completely absent to the scene prior to NIN and Waters transforming expectations, and honestly you could only expect a couple colored lights before that without a lot of good coordination. I really respect the kind of entertainers who don't just want to be some guy on a stage but to create a feeling of entering their own space for the night.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am

1. Bomb the Music Industry
2. Ben Folds
3. Flogging Molly
4. Weird Al
5. The Killers

Honorable mention:
6. Flight of the Conchords

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Top 5

1. Matt & Kim (The Majestic, Detroit)
Like Panfan said, this show was just a party. Great crowd energy, awesome crowd interaction, and I just couldn't believe how 2 people were making the place come so alive.

2. Weird Al (I've seen him twice, actually--Riverboat in Chesaning, MI and Jackson Community College in Jackson, MI)
Weird Al always has the crowd in his pocket. And one of the best parts of his shows are the short gag films that he plays between sets, which aren't often seen outside of his live shows. He just performs like crazy, it's great.

3. CHVRCHES (Pabst Riverside, Milwaukee)
I love CHVRCHES a whole bunch, and seeing them with their full lighting and sound display was really amazing. Hearing Lauren Mayberry's Scottish accent in person was just the icing on the cake. And hanging out with Panfan and our two friends made for a good night.

4. Ingrid Michaelson (Pabst Theaer, Milwaukee)
Just a very chill show, by design. She's hilarious between songs, and they did a few covers that were either really great or really funny, or both (i.e. Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy"). This was also one of my first dates with my wife after our kid was born, so it was extra special to, yknow, get out of the house and go do something.

5. Florence and the Machine (Fox Theater, Detroit)
Florence's live vocal quality is the reason that FatM gets in the top 5. I couldn't believe how studio-quality it all was, and I know it wasn't lip-synching because tshe was improvising and talking to the crowd and everything. Just a great show all around.

I've also seen N*Sync and fun. live, which we're both great shows, but I was more along for the ride for both of them (especially N*Sync--I was like 8 years old). The best part about the fun. show was the group I was with rather than the actual performance, though that was still very good. I also got to meet and get a signed CD from Miniature Tigers, who opened. so that was cool.

(Btw Pan, the CHVRCHES opener was Reyna)
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Sigur Rós >>>>>>>>>>

......but the Hands Like Houses / Tonight Alive / Sleeping With Sirens / Pierce the Veil concert a few years back to celebrate the "Collide with the Sky" album was lit too
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am

Cloud Cult was amazing. The music was beautiful, they have live instruments (guitars, trombone, trumpet, french horn, violin, cello, keyboard), and they have two artists that paint two whole canvases throughout the set (one was of a woman and the other was of a bird). I was at the very front right next to the keyboard/horn/trumpet player, so I didn't miss a thing. If they're ever in your area, check 'em out!

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 am

I saw some cool band play at the Stone Pony here in Asbury Park.

Like - I saw them from a distance.

Not in the crowd.

But like, on the boardwalk.

Just walking by.

Man, I wish I went to more concerts. But I never have anyone to go with who liked the same music. I almost went to see the South African band Goldfish in NYC but my roommate at the time backed out at the last minute.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 pm

These are hard to rank, so I'm not gonna put much effort into that.

Monkees (Fox Theater, STL, 6/6/14)
Monkees (Chicago Theater, Chicago, 11/16/12)
Monkees (Star Plaza Theatre, Merrillville IN, 6/30/11)
Weird Al (Family Arena, St. Charles, 6/3/11)
Weird Al (Chase Park Plaza, STL, 4/26/00)
Lindsey Stirling (Fox Theater, STL, 6/25/15)
Lindsey Stirling (Pageant, STL, 3/5/13)
Lindsey Stirling (Blue Note, Columbia MO, 10/8/12)
Polyphonic Spree (Pageant, STL, 8/4/07)
They Might Be Giants (Soulard Mardi Gras, STL, 2/17/07)
Y-O-U (Blue Fugue, Columbia MO, 2/2/07)
Barenaked Ladies/Alanis Morissette (Riverport Amphitheater, STL, 8/4/04)
Alanis Morissette/Jason Mraz (Fox Theater, STL, 7/2/05)
Toto/Yes (Family Arena, St. Charles, 8/19/15)
Video Games Live (Fox Theater, STL, 1/26/0 8)
Potter Puppet Pals/Harry & the Potters (Beat Kitchen, Chicago, 8/8/12)
Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Metro, Chicago, 8/10/12)
The Defeated County/Suzie Cue (Off Broadway, STL, last month)
Suzie Cue/Ellen the Felon/Uncle Zesty's Old-Time Bootknockers (The Wood, STL, a few years ago)

And I'm sure there are other great ones I'm forgetting.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Oh man...

I'm gonna say... actually... maybe Alison Wonderland? Ironically I'm more of just a casual fan regularly, but she puts on an incredible show.

But yeah. Grimes, Deerhunter/No Age/Dan Deacon, Animal Collective, Kendrick Lamar & ScHoolboy Q, Deerhoof, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart were all great shows as well.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I've never been to a concert, though later this August I am going to fix that by going to see Ninja Sex Party in NYC.

Shad

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Seen?

Post by Shad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:43 pm

God it's hard to even remember all of the bands I've seen these days, and all of the forums I used to maintain a list on are dead.

First gig I ever went to was in 2002. I have been to almost none since 2012. In that ten year stretch I went to between 100 and 200. So there's your context.

As a collective line-up, best gig I've seen was Paganfest 2008. Eluveitie, Týr, Turisas, & Ensiferum all in a row. It was epic. I even stalked them to the next city to see again.

As individual bands (I've seen almost all of these multiple times), something like:

1) Dropkick Murphys

2) GWAR ~~ RIP Dave Brockie

3) Boris

No order, ten others I think put on an exceptionally above-average performance:

Amorphis
Blind Guardian
Cracker ~~Yes, the 90s 1-hit wonder. They have quite a robust catalogue, and they really jam out and flow through it all seamlessly. For a plain old "rock and roll" band, there is never a dull moment at their gigs.
Isis
Mono
Sunn O)))
The Decemberists
The Mountain Goats ~~specifically when John was still rocking solo
The Tossers ~~partly to do with the venues they're willing to book (or used to be 10 years ago). Where Flogging Molly or DKM are always going to be big ticket events, you can catch these guys in some really intimate spaces where they're as much a part of the party as they are the entertainment.
Týr

It's kind of interesting, to me at least, that the list deviates quite a bit from my favorite bands in general.
Calamity Panfan wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 pm
10. The Tossers/Flogging Molly
Good lad.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm

My post got wrecked by the server move so this is just a friendly reminder that Sigur Rós put on the absolute greatest performance I've ever seen

Shad

Post by Shad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm
My post got wrecked by the server move so this is just a friendly reminder that Sigur Rós put on the absolute greatest performance I've ever seen
I want to say I hate you.

Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor played here on the same weekend in 2002 and I didn't find out until my friend told me at school the next day.

I am still bitter.

15 years.

Still bitter.

Return to “Music and Podcasts”