If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

R.I.P. composer Jóhann Jóhannsson

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

R.I.P. composer Jóhann Jóhannsson

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson was found dead yesterday at the age of 48. Cause of death is unknown at this time.

Jóhannsson made a name for himself as one of the premier ambient composers of early 2000's with albums such as Englabörn and Virðulegu Forsetar. Although he had worked with film, television and dance throughout his career, he started receiving more attention and acclaim for it in the 2010s. He scored three of Denis Villeneuve's films, Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival. In 2014, he won a Golden Globe for his music in the Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything. He earned another Golden Globe nomination as well as two Academy Award nominations as well. His most recent work, the score for Theory of Everything director James Marsh's latest film The Mercy, was released just last week. He also did the scores for Biblical drama Mary Magdalene and Nicolas Cage-starring thriller Mandy, which both are set to release this year.

Jóhannsson was a brilliant composer and his work in film (though I'm really only familiar with the Villeneuve collaborations) has been wonderful. He will be missed.

Dux is not you

Re: R.I.P. composer Jóhann Jóhannsson

Post by Dux is not you » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 pm

Wow, it really is sad when someone goes that young. That it was such a talented person only makes it more of a heartbreak.

ScottyMcGee

Re: R.I.P. composer Jóhann Jóhannsson

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 am

I never actually heard his work - and I'm a movie soundtrack fanatic. But I do recall watching Arrival and remembering the score. I just never got around to buying it. That really sucks. RIP.

Return to “Music and Podcasts”