If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

I made music again!

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

Jere

Post by Jere » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 am

Almost 2 years already?

Don't look to content i have been busy just forgot to upload stuff to here:
Here is one of those one take hope it works kind of deals, it's hard to play drums sing and play guitar at the same time:

They call me the breeze
With profound apologies to Mr Cale

This one is really neat i usally sing this one at pubs exactly the way i sing it in this, but usually it's more of a folk/rock thing figured i might as well try do some punk thing with it cause why not.
Jag skiter i det sexuella

Another idea another thing i can't live up to how i want it to sound but what the crap this is the first time i managed to get that sweet sweet distorted bass tone i like.

Wilys castle 2

Most people trying to distort country usually screw things up but i think it's a matter of how you do it.
Whores die hard

This one was just loads of fun to do, sadly i didn't get much out of it whit mom dying and everything.
Santa's giving humm..
Filthy filthy lyrics in this one!

With myself finally coming back to something resembling peace and quiet i finally sat down and made this today, I have wanted to do something experimental again and with me the means high harmonics (Good thing i still have my old tight jeans)

Allso some people cosplay i make stupid covers with songs from stuff i like

Be wherever you are!

I have discovered that Audacity is the most awesome tool just working with aucustic stuff, im sticking to music creator with the more rocky stuff!

Oh almost forgot this one, in recent events it's a bit cruel but this is basicly a big up yours to the boys over at Channel awesome.
Beep Boop absolutely not a bot!

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

Jammin' stuff here, and I really liked your Wily's Castle cover. I'll keep an ear out for more of your stuff from now on haha.

Jere

Post by Jere » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Found some old notes and a old drumtrack/bass track, i took a afternoon and finished this:

Nuts and boltz

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Love that Call Me the Breeze track, good stuff. Also, guess you went ahead on that Wily's Castle cover? Pretty sick work mate. I'm still interested in doing stuff with that if you are.

Also, that Nuts and Boltz one is pretty brilliant at parts. Could definitely polish it up into something special. :headbang:
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Jere

Post by Jere » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Sure dude, im sure we can figure something out!

What im most irritated right now is that all my strings i have is atleast 1½ years old (rough patch for 2 years supplies have been tight) so the tone is awfull on all my guitars/bass toghter it works but try to incorporate something with some good tone it just falls to pieces i just hope i get a decent chunk of money the 25th so i can get new strings.

I allso in retroperspective might have been a bit to generous with gain on the lead channel.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:56 am

[QUOTE="Jere, post: 1608670, member: 35148"]Sure dude, im sure we can figure something out!

What im most irritated right now is that all my strings i have is atleast 1½ years old (rough patch for 2 years supplies have been tight) so the tone is awfull on all my guitars/bass toghter it works but try to incorporate something with some good tone it just falls to pieces i just hope i get a decent chunk of money the 25th so i can get new strings.

I allso in retroperspective might have been a bit to generous with gain on the lead channel.[/QUOTE]
Haha yeah I have a bad habit of letting strings go stale a lot. Have too many guitars to change them all consistently, though, I'd be broke. I can fix most of that with a bit of software magic, in the very least.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Jere

Post by Jere » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:39 am

Made some changes now it sounds better:

Nutz and Boltz Mix 2

Jere

Post by Jere » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:03 pm

I have way to much time on my hands and not the skills to mix properly but here is something ellse:

Fear factory

This one does not lend itself well to guitar!

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:27 pm

[QUOTE="Jere, post: 1609212, member: 35148"]Made some changes now it sounds better:

Nutz and Boltz Mix 2[/QUOTE]
Haven't listened to the second one all the way through, but IMO the dry mix feels a bit tighter and the reverb just makes it apparent you're using a drum sampler. Reverb's a hard thing to get right, though.

If you want to make the hihats, etc, on your mixes feel less artificial, trying messing with the velocity of the triggers. Also, if you're using a program that supports proper automation, look into whether or not it can "humanize" the midi. If done right, it will add in very slight timing differences/note lengths and tone modulation, etc. Of course, you can also do that manually.

For a more accurate drum room/studio style reverb, try setting the length of the early reflections in your reverb to about 30 ms length, and make the decay much shorter. Turn the pre-delay way down, around 0 to 4 ms. The late reflections size, you will probably want a bit low (like 15% or .15) - set the modulation rate to about .5 Hz and keep the cross around 10% or .1 to avoid having too much mud.

Using a reverb like the one described with a very short decay value, at around 20%, can make the mix on your instruments wider, fuller, and more natural feeling if done properly.

Jere

Post by Jere » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:56 pm

*takes notes*

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:15 pm

I made a track based on your drum riff for reference with different levels of production techniques to liven up the sound.

http://www.filedropper.com/drumproductionexample

First phrase is just the naked drum loop, no extra production or any midi tweaks. After long it will feel pretty repetitive.

Second phrase is with a second hihat to fill out the first one, and all of the drums have humanized timing and I've used automation to break up the velocity. The length of the triggers is also automated in addition to the gain. The tune of sample has been humanized at about 2% so the tone can very just slightly. This feels more natural, but it is still naked.

Third phrase is with EQ on the kick drum (to take out a little of the mid and the sub-70hz frequencies, bump up around 80 hz for bassiness and emphasis on the high end toward 6000 hz so the transient is more audible), and a variant of the room reverb setup I described. The drums are all routed through an FX Bus with the reverb modules, the hihats and snare also have a little extra reverb. To get that, I saved the reverb as a preset and put another instance on an FX Send, and cranked it up a bit for the cymbals and less for the snare. The hihats also have a very light (like 10% or less) flanger on them, to help give the phase and pitch little more 'natural' variance. You could probably use this in a finished mix depending on the energy you want.

Fourth phrase is beyond that, I've put a brickwall limiter with some overdrive and EQ on the snare, and the main drum Bus also has light EQ and a very heavy compressor on it, now, as well as some tape saturation. The master track also has some light EQ and a multi-band compressor/limiter setup on it, similar to what I would use on a finished song. The drum compression is a bit overdone just so you can easily hear the difference, giving it more of a ministry-type sound.

Once you get to the point where your drums have all the compressors/reverb/EQ setup on them, you will probably have overdone it a bit. That's pretty normal, I prefer to do them heavier so I can make sure it scales up really big well, and then I dial back some of it a bit as necessary.

Jere

Re: I made music again!

Post by Jere » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Back making the horrible noice i call music and this time i think i have managed to top myself this one is loud, like wow my headphones are moving on their own loud atleast on my side.

Took some notes from earlier and tried to apply that to mixing though i think i manged to go the otherway around and tweaked everything ellse up to compensate for the loud drums...

Im still fine tuning it but this is the first decent version that came out when i exported it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hhes8bq1gqz4 ... 2.mp3?dl=0

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 am

Jere wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:40 pm
Back making the horrible noice i call music and this time i think i have managed to top myself this one is loud, like wow my headphones are moving on their own loud atleast on my side.

Took some notes from earlier and tried to apply that to mixing though i think i manged to go the otherway around and tweaked everything ellse up to compensate for the loud drums...

Im still fine tuning it but this is the first decent version that came out when i exported it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hhes8bq1gqz4 ... 2.mp3?dl=0
Just noticed this, I'll have to grab the link and listen later mate!

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am

Okay, listening now and that sounds much more pro in the mix. Definitely a bit loud, I was just listening to something before and had to turn down the level when it started up, but overall it's pretty smooth in tone. For ref, the old industry standard was about -3 db should be where most of your peaks stop as anything above that can cause clipping/distortion on older digital equipment like cd players, etc. Use another track to reference it by ear.

Sounds a lot like you're recording with some delay on the guitar monitor, actually, which is how you tend to get that sort of slinky in and out of time rhythm issue. The guitar mix is good for tone and placement but the tuning is slipping a bit too. I'd suggest re-tracking the guitar parts but strip down and disable any unnecessary digital processing while you're recording it. Anything over 20 millisecond delay when I'm recording guitar tracks and I start to rubberband in and out of timing.

The bass is good in tone again, but I'd suggest you record again with less latency but also without the alternate picking. It's fast but it's just slow enough that I bet you can get a much more steady strumming pattern if you're just hitting one direction.

Drums could probably use a bit less compression. Sounds decent but like a radio mix, radio stations tend to compress a lot because the signal carries better, and you want a CD mix to be a bit less than that so they can do whatever it is they need to over the top.

Loving the effort overall, hope you don't mind the constructive crit.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

And let me just say I'm impressed with the overall technical improvements, you've got a good ear.

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah i noticed that it's a bit loud and i partly blame myself and partly the export to mp3 it dosen't sound to bad before the export i need to look into the settings.

I have no idea where the delay on the guitars come in might be the transfer between the amp and the mixer or something cause i can't find where it comes in as im not running any delay while recording (this drives me bonkers as it ruins many takes)
might be the software im using too as it happens on the bass and im plugin that straight into the mixer.

I like to think i start to know what i am doing but a lot is still "oh shiny knob wonder what it does".

I will work on another mix this weekend been away from home for a week.

Return to “Music and Podcasts”