If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Review The Last Thing You Watched

Moderators: Apollo the Just, Bomby

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Re: Review The Last Thing You Watched

Post by PataPanfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 am

I saw Blade Runner 2049 today. It was really good. It's as visually spectacular as you would expect. Just phenomenal. If this isn't the movie that finally gets Roger Deakins a cinematography Oscar, then it's a lost cause because holy **** this was phenomenal.

Overall I probably liked it more than the original Blade Runner. "K" is a much more interesting character than Deckard. The story overall kept me more engaged and it had a nice twist. It's an almost 3-hour movie but I never felt the length.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am

Rick and Morty season 1, episode 3, "Anatomy Park"

They're trying so hard to cram as many tropes and references as they can into a single half-hour episode that they leave too much unexplored and too many threads hanging. Still, what they manage to do is interesting, though it's not my kind of humor. Morty's sexual frustration has become a sort of running gag, so that makes me wonder what's in store. So far I'm not interested in watching more than one episode of this in a row, but that's okay.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm

BR2049 was very good. I very rarely go to the theater but I decided to check it out because it seemed like a significant enough release. Only saw the original Blade Runner once maybe one or two years ago but I knew enough to appreciate the references and callbacks.

Unfortunately I planned things out poorly and I had to watch it in 3D.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Inception was BWOMMMMM/10. Kind of whatever. Glad I watched it for the cultural relevance but got bored for the middle third of the movie and think if you're going to have a movie set in literal dreams you could make it a little more visually interesting than Standard Action Set with, like, 3 scenes tops that had cool dreamlike moments or visuals. Had a few really good scenes but overall was really nothing special

So then I watched Paprika which was so much better in virtually every capacity. Concept, visuals, music, pacing, artistic direction in general, presentation; so good. 9.5/10 (.5 subtracted because the climax is the weakest part of the movie imo, but the rest of the movie is so wonderful it doesn't need the epic climax to sell it. This is a movie where I would absolutely say the journey matters more than the destination.)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:24 am

Rewatched the FMA movie (Conqueror of Shamballa, finale to the 2003 series) because people on the fma discord server kept bitching about how the movie is trash and I thought "maybe I just liked it because I was on my FMA high, imma re-watch and be more critical this time"

Nah, still is awesome, 8/10 general rating and 10/10 as an ending to the 2003 series. The haters have garbage taste. I'll spare you the essay but the condensed version is: ending to the series would not be anywhere near as impactful without this movie's specific setting, which it handles INCREDIBLY well. I also love the dreams vs. reality theme it has going, something I never really picked up on before. It's generally just really good.

Only downside is the pacing is a bit rushed because it covers what could have been a season of anime in 1.75 hours; but given that limitation, I think everything it covers makes sense and is valuable to the overall story.

[[The CGI for the armor is pretty bad, but is balanced out by that unnecessary but incredibly cool and very well animated scene of Ed snapping his fake arm open at the elbow to put it into Overdrive for a neat gratuitous fight scene. So overall no net deductions in the animation category.]]

Oh, and the two Romani songs are incredible and two of the best songs in the 03 series soundtrack in its entirety. Apparently the composer also plays guitar in them, too. Sick.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am

TCM rereleased 'Princess Bride' to theatres for its thirtieth anniversary, and Ma had never seen it on the big screen, so I treated her to a showing for her birthday. It was a nice time.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:14 am

I saw a post on tumblr that made me remember that El Tigre is a show that exists and I haven't seen it in years so I decided it was time for a re-binge.

God. What a good show. Watched the first 11 episodes (or 22 half-episodes) so far; the style is great, the humor is great, the characters are great, everything is just so enjoyable. Manny and Frida are such endearing little s***lords. The Rivera family in all its extended and complicated glory is excellent. 10/10 show would recommend to friends

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Re-watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them yesterday, and saw The Book of Life for the first time.

Fantastic Beasts holds up on rewatch. It's just so COOL to see adult witches and wizards adeptly using magic in interesting ways, and to see magic and magical creatures as a part of the world rather than the setting feeling confined to Magic School like in Harry Potter. I really like all of the main characters and I think the concept of an Obscurus is a good one. I feel like the Grindelwald reveal is the weakest part of the movie because it's just blatant sequel-bait, whereas everything else is really solid, but I guess I can see the appeal of linking it to the Harry Potter story for people who love Harry Potter (as someone who enjoyed but was never really that into HP, I don't care one way or another if the stories connect). Anyway this movie is basically How To Train Your Fantastic Beasts and I love it for that. 8/10?

The Book of Life was gorgeous, as expected. I have a soft spot for stories about bard protagonists (like Kubo and the Two Strings), and this one was really cute and fun. The Land of the Remembered was, just... so vivid and breathtaking. This movie is a visual masterpiece, and it's cute and fun and the songs are nice (the Creep cover was unexpected and gr9, but my favorite song was the original one at the end with the bull). It was very hetero but sweet. Plus, it's just nice to see a really good movie that has such a solid vision, entirely dedicated to Mexican culture. My hometown is majority Mexican and most of the friends I grew up with are Mexican-American so it's just refreshing to see that reflected on the big screen. 9/10, point deducted because Maria basically had no flaws as a character which made her really not interesting; Joaquin and Manolo were such great characters though holy ****. Their friendship-rivalry was developed really well. Also, I can't believe Joaquin's attack cry is just his name?? that was hilarious.

Anyway so I'm back bingeing El Tigre and of course it's all amazing, but episode 18 is just outta nowhere on a whole nother level. This show starts good and then just gets better somehow. The first half of 18 (Fistful of Nickels) was just a solid Rivera family episode, 10/10, and then the ending to the second half of 18 (Animales) after an episode of shenanigans was so unexpectedly heartwarming ;_;

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Finished re-bingeing all of El Tigre. Why isn't there more. I always ask why there isn't more. ;__;

Best Nick animated show. Sorry, Avatar: The Last Airbender; you had a better story, but El Tigre is just... so good. A lot of the humor is blowing-air-out-of-nose-slightly-harder-than-normal silly but then some stuff has me completely losing it. I'm pretty sure "what truck?" from the Golden Eagle twins episode is the funniest line in cartoon history.

Also, I just love love LOVE all of the character dynamics so much?? It hits the perfect balance of "mostly shenanigans and cartoon physics and ridiculousness, with sprinkles of genuine character moments here and there", and I am pretty sure Manny and Frida have the best superpowered-protag-with-superpowerless-BFF dynamic of all time. Everything about it is perfect, especially since there's no NO 1 CAN KNO MY SECRET IDENTITY!!1 subplot so mostly they're just tweenage s***lords being bad influences on each other, and one of them just has magic extendy claws sometimes. Those two are hardcore ride-or-die got-ur-back no-questions-asked, except for when they're being awful fickle tweenage s***lords; it's fantastic. And of course, the Rivera family is just absolutely insane but in the best way.

What a good show. I'm surprised it doesn't have a more dedicated cult following considering how really damn good it was. Oh well, be the change you want to see in the world, I guess. Time to go, idk, make stuff or something. anyway 10/10 literally flawless

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 am

got so excited to see the room twice in theaters in the next few weeks that i watched the room because goddamn do i have a problem

this really is the most perfect movie

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 am

panfan i love u very much and please never ever change

---

last thing i watched was gameplay footage of the el tigre video game because it's midnight and i have lost control of my life. may or may not have made a somewhat guilty 6 dollar seconhand purchase that may or may not be arriving next week ..

PataPanfan

Post by PataPanfan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 pm

I watched the latest Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which continues to be one of the most interesting, funniest and best shows on television. It was hard to watch at times as Rebecca continued to push the people that care about her away to continue her vendetta against Josh. Really heartbreaking how the character is written because obviously her mental illness isn't an excuse for her terrible behavior and actions but you still want her to overcome her downward spiral that just seems to get worse and worse. They did a great job with the direction and characters in the episode making this feel more like a horror/revenge movie while still obviously maintaining the comedic elements. And the final musical number was phenomenal, though I wish they didn't spoil the guest star at the beginning of the episode because the reveal would've been even more incredible.

If you don't watch this show, you should. First two seasons are on Netflix. Very subversive of romantic comedies and musical. It's consistently funny and continually surprising.

PataPanfan

Post by PataPanfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 am

Man I watched Chappie the other night and **** Chappie. Chappie is garbage. I hate Chappie so much.

Like, I get that Dev Patel's character wanted to make artificial intelligence that could *feel* or whatever but why would you make artificial intelligence that doesn't know anything at first? Why wouldn't you at least have it understand stuff like English?

So what you get is this weird robot that's basically a 5-year old child that doesn't understand a lot of basic stuff about the world but hey he can figure out how to upload human consciousness and transfer it between bodies. There's little logic to the movie and everybody is dumb. I hate Chappie so much. I hope Chappie dies.

And **** Die Antwoord.

Steven9wii

Post by Steven9wii » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 pm

the simpsons
Spoiler.
the one where marge becomes a mayor
i think this one deserves 10/10 because i knew that
Spoiler.
homer was one himself but for 1 episode
but my theory that because marge didn't get fired in that episode, she is still the
Spoiler.
mayor of springfield
the episode itself was very funny with its "bart vs homer" scenes where bart hits homer after he makes fun of lisa marrying a piece of broccoli.

All in All this is an amazing episode.
but...... what will happen to "diamond joe quimby" will he be killed off? only time will tell.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm

I watched Garden of Sinners part 1 and part 2, holy **** that was weird. It opens with somebody jumping off a building and kind of spirals from there. While I thought the ending with the ghosts was lame, it was good over all. I like the ending of Sinners 2 better but it felt a little rough at points. Shiki's hands awkwardly shrink during a fight scene and it's really weird.

I also binged Unlimited Blade Works which was really good, but I couldn't help but feel disappointed coming from fate zero. It really eased up on the death toll, to say the least.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 am

COCO WAS SO PURE YOU GUYS

So like I'm not the hugest Pixar fan. I LOVE some of their movies (Brave), and think most of them are either good or fine with some exceptions. So I didn't actually have enormous hopes for Coco other than "it will probably not be bad."

I was so fucjin wrong my dudes. It was just... so pure and wholesome and good. I called about half of the plot points halfway through the movie but it didn't matter because the point of the movie was how it presented its themes rather than the shock factor/surprises. There was no plot twist shock factor really; most of the reveals were heartwarming if anything. The story is told really well and I LOVE the music SO MUCH.

Also it made me really emotional bc I miss mariachi and being surrounded by it in middle/high school in the community where I grew up ;__;

Anyway new favorite Pixar movie I think. By which I mean it's not "good because it's a Pixar movie", but it's a movie made by Pixar that's really goddamn good. I wanna see it again. It's just so wonderful and I love everything about it

PataPanfan

Post by PataPanfan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 am

i watched the latest episode of riverdale and oooooh boy this episode had:
1. tony todd as a creepy farmer
2. a texas chain saw massacre-style intro
3. frequent use of classics iv's "spooky" as a music cue
4. hot sheriff dad
5. hot shariff's son explaining his nerd ass board game he came up with to his friend
6. the reveal of a crime lady who has like an eastern european accent but her appearance screamed "nazi" to me
7. a creepy janitor
8. veronica showing up to a stakeout in a skirt and heels

and that's not everything because with all this there's a MURDER MYSTERY you guys riverdale is the best show on tv it's not close

like i dunno even what to say about riverdale it's such a perfect show holy ****

i had my doubts. i mean it's a teen drama about the archie gang and like i thought it was the dumbest thing and all it was was "what if archie f***ed???" and it kind of is that and there's a really gross subplot about said f***ing early in the series but luckily it gets out of the way quickly because everyone hated it.

but like, there's murder mysteries, josie and the pussycats rule, gangs, street races, a drug called JINGLE JANGLE, maple syrup dynasties everyone is super hot (even (especially???) the parents), all the parents are played veterans of teen dramas because this show loves paying homage to its influences too it's so delightfully self-aware and not in an annoying way

the show quickly went from "stupid show that i'm gonna watch drunk and make fun of" to "well it's still pretty stupid but it knows it's stupid and it's perfect for it and MY FAVORITE SHOW ON TV"

it's really hitting its stride this season jump on the bandwagon before it's too late

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Marathoned the first half of Escaflowne because I haven't seen it since I was like 12 and I don't remember what it was about and I wanted to see if it's actually good or not.

It's totally actually good. Loving the use of tarot. Also it's just so 90's but like in the best way

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”