OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Moderators: Bomby, Apollo the Just

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by Marilincarnation » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 am

I’ve never read the book, but I love the movie.

steeze

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by steeze » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 am

My English class in high school was full of stuff like huckleberry fin. I didn't think it was too obscene when the n-words started falling in class because like boo said, it was being viewed in its context. I mean this was in new york as well it's not like we were an all-white class sitting in a super conservative environment. With all that in mind, I can totally see how people would lose their minds over it in 2018.

Sad that we've reached the results of a culture of censorship. Attacks on free media and now taking a dig at literature that has been read for hundreds of years. Social media has made peoples values shift. Lee has her place in American literature for the way she wrote as well as what she wrote. I'm not a fan of the book personally because it didn't appeal to me. But I can't deny her talent in transition if you will. Writing a novel that will get you into the department of educations curriculum for over half a century is not easy by any means. I wish I had that kind of talent.

It's a shame the country feels like everyone is just walking on eggshells all day long. Just divide, violence, corruption, greed. Why can't everyone just take a vacation, chill out for a week, and just spread the love? Crazy, maybe the hippies were right. Peace and love brothas.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 pm

^^ I don't think the book is too different from the movie.

I'm fairly certain there's no exhibition of the main characters being white saviors, except for the fact that they're white I guess. They're given a reason for their actions, and it's not just "save the poor minorities" from what I remember.

Now that I'm thinking about it, To Kill a Mockingbird did have a happy ending, it's just not triumphant about it. I think I need to find that book again because I'm starting to have a bit of fondness for it.

Actually, speaking of older books: I hate 1984 as a story. The plot is probably not the purpose, mind you: It's Orwell's nightmare scrawled into a novel, but I find his fears don't mesh with reality and how they deal with rebellions is actually very flawed and wouldn't work so I just came away hating the book. Also, this book is never taken off mailing lists but there is an entire chapter dedicated to describing the main characters having sex in the woods. Guess it'd be too poignant to ban 1984 from classrooms. Ha ha.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:04 pm

1984 was alright. If I hadn't have been forced to read it, I wouldn't have.

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:41 pm

oh man, I love 1984

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I think I appreciate 1984's influence more than I actually like it.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:57 am

Watched 'Incredibles' and 'Incredibles 2' with the kids yesterday. I'd seen the first one before, but the sequel was a new fun treat throughout. One minor complaint.
Spoiler.
I twigged the identity of the bad guy the instant she was introduced. 'Evelyn Deavor'. Wow, subtlety. Sounds like a rejected Power Ranger villainess.

You know...don't do wordplay with character names. It's stupid, and the adults in the audience are going to pick up on it instantly. Like why not go the whole nine, call her 'Sinister McTreachery' or something.

I mean, at least flip the script, why not----------have the snarky smart-alecky one named 'evil endeavour' be the good sibling and the seemingly simon-simple simon-pure one be the true black-hearted puppet-master. I know, I know----------'maybe they subverted your expectations by not subverting your expectations!' Well, maybe I wouldn't have had expectations at all if they hadn't named a main character 'Evelyn Deavor'. She was the child of a man who believed so strongly in superheroes that he helped bankroll their operations, and we're meant to believe he'd have been fine with giving her such a blatant supervillain name? Come off it.

Also. Don't really understand why people are being so puritannical about the mild swearing in the movie, incidentally. So, so many reviews by horrified parents, self-righteous over their ten-year-old hearing the word 'hell' in a movie. I'll guarantee you those ten-year-olds say far worse when their wet-blanket parents aren't around. If you make a movie starring lots of grown-ups in the real world, you need to portray them realistically. Most adults don't go around saying 'jiminy jillickers!' and 'golly gosh!', unless they're me------------you hear someone other than Ned Flanders talk like that in a movie, it comes off forced and phony. Mild swearing is acceptible in a PG movie. If parents aren't willing to vet something before they let their stupid kids watch it, then they have no one to blame but themselves.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:57 am

^Hocus Pocus, Secret of NIMH, ET, Goonies, Ratatouille,....there's tons of kids' movies with mild swearing in them. To act like that's some huge scandal is ridiculous. Like you said, it's easy to vet that stuff in advance, especially nowadays.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

UNder the Mistletoe

Post by UNder the Mistletoe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am

steeze wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 am
My English class in high school was full of stuff like huckleberry fin. I didn't think it was too obscene when the n-words started falling in class because like boo said, it was being viewed in its context. I mean this was in new york as well it's not like we were an all-white class sitting in a super conservative environment. With all that in mind, I can totally see how people would lose their minds over it in 2018.

Sad that we've reached the results of a culture of censorship. Attacks on free media and now taking a dig at literature that has been read for hundreds of years. Social media has made peoples values shift. Lee has her place in American literature for the way she wrote as well as what she wrote. I'm not a fan of the book personally because it didn't appeal to me. But I can't deny her talent in transition if you will. Writing a novel that will get you into the department of educations curriculum for over half a century is not easy by any means. I wish I had that kind of talent.

It's a shame the country feels like everyone is just walking on eggshells all day long. Just divide, violence, corruption, greed. Why can't everyone just take a vacation, chill out for a week, and just spread the love? Crazy, maybe the hippies were right. Peace and love brothas.
I just think if you’re going to read a book in a literature class, why not read it from the perspective of a person who actually is that minority. There are plenty of books that have the same themes as To Kill a Mockingbird and are just as well written but from the perspective of someone who actually knows what it’s like to face the discrimination they write about. I have black students in my class and I don’t want my message to them to be, “I’d rather read about your race through a white lady’s eyes.” You know? Then again, I’m not a huge fan of teaching canonical texts to begin with. I like when students can feel connected to texts. I don’t feel the necessity of teaching a book just because it’s been taught in classrooms for a long time. So what? There are plenty of good books out there and there are ones that are much more diverse. That’s not censorship. I’m definitely not talking about not teaching a book to protect the children or anything. I’m talking about being careful reading books about race from a dominant culture’s perspective. If I teach To Kill a Mockingbird again, I’d make sure to make this clear.

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:49 pm

^That was very well-articulated, thanks.

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”