Weeaboos Anonymous

Moderators: Bomby, Apollo the Just

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Re: Weeaboos Anonymous

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 am

Random User wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 am
Lain is soooo good. Honestly my favorite anime, to this day.
PRESENT DAY

PRESENT TIME

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Has anyone ever watched "Gin Tama?"

Considering giving it a go.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

I've wanted to watch Gin Tama, but I've been told it's a bit impenetrable if you're not an old hardcore weeb.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Isn't Gintama just a parody of other anime? I see pictures of it parodying DBZ sometimes. Unless it also parodies obscure stuff it sounds pretty simple.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 pm

It's not just that, from what I've heard. The biggest barrier for me is that, apparently, a lot of the humor relies heavily on Japanese culture in a way that you might not pick up on even if you watch a lot of anime. I've certainly had that experience with other anime where a joke flew completely over my head or it just didn't make sense in the dub.

Also, Gin Tama is just... long. It's not absurd like some Shonen juggernauts, but yeesh, it's hard for me to want to start something like that.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:40 am

I see, I guess it is a tough entry then. I really don't watch that much anime and it's usually mainstream, or was at some point, so maybe that's why I never experienced an anime that had those kinds cultural barriers, unless you count Brock's donuts...but that didn't go over my head so much as it did confuse me. "wtf kind of donut is that...?"

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:09 pm

I love Gintama, but I must recommend watching through Crunchyroll. It is very referential, but the subtitles generally do a good job at explaining those references.

also yeah it is definitely heckin long but it's not like it's Case Closed or anything
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 pm

My basic ass is watching Black Clover and Boruto and really enjoying both of them despite Boruto taking big dumps on the quality of the anime and Black Clover being standard Shōnen cookie cutter bs.

I've found myself audibly laughing out loud at some of the jokes which is RARE for me in any anime because it's usually so dramatic and dumb. I'd say they're charming with potential. I will say this about Black Clover, the animation is usually pretty consistent. They aren't afraid to just throw the rulebook out and put some outrageous downright beautiful web gen animation in there to shake things up though.

Boruto has been taking those risks as well. Episode 65 was downright gorgeous. Wish I had something to watch after this.

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”