If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Best Home Console Mario Kart

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Simple. What is the greatest MK game for a home console?

Mario Kart Wii U
4%
Mario Kart Wii U
17%
Mario Kart Wii U
39%
Mario Kart Wii U
No votes
Mario Kart Wii U
39%

Total votes: 23

Toad64

Post by Toad64 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 am

For me, the main draw of MK8 is the online play. The HD graphics are gorgeous but the online play has been my most played feature, even with my daughter! :D Well worth the purchase. She has just discovered GameCube and has been exploring Sunshine and playing a bit of DD as well.

Booya, thanks for the tip. I will find a store that has this service.
T̶o̶a̶d̶6̶4̶. T̶o̶a̶d̶C̶u̶b̶e̶. T̶o̶a̶d̶W̶i̶i̶.
ToadU

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

It makes sense that people like Baby Park because they have different priorities in what they want from the game. Mario Kart always has random elements, but Baby Park just tips the scales way too heavily into chaos for me. I get why people might enjoy that. But that music...it's still stuck in my head. I hate it. I'm getting flashbacks.

The dual-item slot mechanic is probably the #1 thing that Double Dash has going for it. But I think the imbalance of the character-specific items sullies the concept for me. alas.

I'll admit that I think that Petey and King Boo are bad roster choices are because I just don't like them in general. Petey Piranha is annoying, ugly, and unappealing--didn't even like fighting against him in Mario Sunshine. King Boo is a whole lot better--but by association, I just kinda get annoyed with him, too. It's mostly his voice. If they wanted to add Mario Sunshine characters, I would have much preferred that they add Il Piantissimo or just a regular friggin' Pianta. Or Toadsworth!

(The Pink Gold Peach comparison is valid, though--but that's really the only roster choice in MK8 that I take issue with. Well, Metal Mario isn't great either. And I forgot about Baby Rosalina, she's bad too. Oh, wait, Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach are DLC, too, aren't they...ugh. Well, hey, Isabel, Villager, and Link are amazing choices, so maybe it balances. btw, I love the Koopa Kids.)
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Granted, I can completely understand hating Baby Park on the basis of the music alone. :tongue:
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 pm

oh come on how could you hate on such beautiful music

[MEDIA=youtube]1z75onxMjE4[/MEDIA]

such beautiful mindnumbing music

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:51 pm

1. 8
2. Super Mario Kart
3. 64
4. Double Dash
5. Wii

Also, real talk, I **** love Baby Park.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:22 pm

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Marilincarnation, post: 1615927, member: 23215 wrote:
  • I can't stand the fact that it's the only MK game that doesn't have the hop before the drift. The only one! I don't play DD very much, because if I opt for old Mario Kart I'll always pick 64 or Super; so when people bust out DD and want me to play, I just can't function because my turns are all off.
DD was my first, but the hop doesn't give me trouble when I play any other MK, weirdly. The only game I have trouble drifting in is 64, and I have nothing good to say about 64.
The music is quite bad. If it weren't for Rainbow Road's music, the whole game would be better on mute.
fite me irl :mad:
The character voices are all very annoying and in-your-face, as well. This was the first time they really went overboard in this area.
I remember this bothering me when I was still playing it on my own, but it's been years since the last time I wasn't doing 2 player competitive All-Cup Tour. We talk over the voices, so they don't bother me anymore.

But you're still right that they're annoying.
The courses aren't very great, and if I'm going to play any DD course, I prefer their retro versions in future games.
fite me irl harder :mad:

I actually think DD has the best tracks (Yoshi Circuit!) in the entire series because they're out of your way while still allowing plenty of room for skill and route planning. A lot of the other games suffer from issues with draw distance limiting your vision to three feet ahead or just littering the course with random garbage to make you spin out. The hazards in DD are fairly easy to avoid, by contrast, and most tracks are wide enough to make dodging any item at least doable in most places, so it feels more like a racing game.

The best comparison for me is Mushroom Bridge or City versus every other "road" track in the series - DD's tracks let you use the hazard cars to force opponents into items and to force you to pay attention, but you almost never get blitzed by one around a corner, and they're sparse enough that it's very hard to end up bouncing around between them.
This game introduced Baby Park, which now has implanted its terrible 5-second loop music into my brain at the very mention of it. I hate this course so much. And it has returned several times, too! Baby Park is so RNG heavy and chaotic that it makes any hope of gold-trophying that particular Grand Prix (in any game it appears) basically a matter of luck.
Baby Park is crap, but you can drift-spam around most of the RNG - I've lost far more 16/16 All Cup Tour runs to Peach Beach than Baby Park.

[qupte]The double character thing just strikes me as gimmicky. It doesn't add anything mechanically, and it makes certain characters that I like objectively worse than characters I don't like because the special items are not well balanced. My favorite characters are Koopa and Paratroopa, but...3 shells? Really?[/quote]

Paratroopa gets three red shells, which is devastating. Three green shells aren't bad, either, if you're reasonably close to whoever's ahead of you. Will grant that some of the others (Peach!) have useless items.

Two characters adds some depth to character selection beyond weight, and more importantly adds some strategy to using/saving items because you're not forced to ignore the series' main mechanic until you're ready to use the first thing you pick up.
  • The two-player co-op was also imbalanced in terms of who is enjoying themselves. If I ever got saddled with the Items job, I had to rely more on the terrible driver's positioning and skill than on anything I was able to do. Being passive in an active game is not my idea of fun.
Absolutely. I think I've played that once.
  • King Boo and Peter Piranha were terrible roster additions. And the Babies weren't great, either.
Also agree with this, but that problem is in most MKs.
  • This isn't a very good reason, admittedly, but everyone else's tendency to gush over this game as if it were the pinnacle of Mario Kart achievement just makes me dislike it more. As far as I can tell, the only reason people go to bat for this game so much is purely out of nostalgia (and my nostalgia is directed more at Super, 64, and DS) . I'm interested to see if you have any other reasons?
I'm just as susceptible to disliking something more because I can't see what everyone else is so in love with, so not in any position to judge you here.[/quote][/quote]

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm surprised no one's brought up the weird delay the steering has in Double Dash
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:31 pm

[QUOTE="Marilincarnation, post: 1615921, member: 23215"]I must be in the vast minority in thinking that DD is one of the worst in the series. I rarely, rarely see people share that opinion.

Like, it's still good, but it's like bottom 3 for me. Maybe bottom 2.[/QUOTE]
Nah man, I agree with you on that. It rubbed me the wrong way for a lot of reasons.[DOUBLEPOST=1481661086,1481661003][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="HarkZero, post: 1615969, member: 34654"]I'm surprised no one's brought up the weird delay the steering has in Double Dash[/QUOTE]
That's one of them. I never liked how the game handled.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:32 pm

I love Baby Park because it's the Mario Kart equivalent of playing SSBM, setting the match to a short time limit, waiting for it to time out and take you to sudden death, waiting some more, and then DODGING ALL THE BOMBS THAT START EXPLODING EVERYWHERE UNTIL SOMEONE DIES. Like, the literal exact opposite of no items fox only final destination (boring and lame) -- it's BOMBS ITEMS, BOMBS ONLY, DEATH.

This is who I am as a person. Where's the fun if people aren't exploding everywhere?

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:33 pm

[QUOTE="Toad64, post: 1615939, member: 18488"]I'm flattered if you actually remember me.
Since I've taught my 3 (now 4) year old to play MK8 and actually beat a few players online doing it, I might have to lean that way for pride's sake. Unfortunately my other Little seems to have scratched that disc and it won't load. 15 year old me would be horrified. 30 year old me will hope it's fixable or fork over the dough for another copy someday.[/QUOTE]

[Completely off topic.. sorry... yes, of course I remember you... you used to be a Mod here!! ;) ]

And back on topic... I actually like the chaos of Baby Park. I have no idea what the music is because I rarely listen to music while playing (too busy yelling/having loud fun to hear anything anyways) but dropping items all over the track always amuses me. :p :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Baby Park is absolutely the best part of Double Dash and I feel like it wasn't nearly as fun in other games because you didn't have the sheer chaos of giant Bowser shells bouncing around everywhere
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:47 pm

^ I haven't actually played Baby Park in any games EXCEPT Double Dash, and so in my memory that level is inextricably linked with giant Bowser shell-induced chaos. Those make the experience tbh

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:04 pm

I like Baby Park as long as I'm not taking the game too seriously. The complete chaos can make for a nice break in things.

For DD as a whole... I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I liked it, but at the same time it didn't stand out to me as much as most of the other games have. I've gone back and replayed it a few times in recent years, and I still feel the same way about it. It's not bad, it's not great. It's just... good.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:23 pm

[QUOTE="HarkZero, post: 1615969, member: 34654"]I'm surprised no one's brought up the weird delay the steering has in Double Dash[/QUOTE]
This is definitely a thing, but it gets eclipsed by the missing hop (and very closely related to it). But yes, you are very right.
Carthago delendum est

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am

Is that why I fall off courses constantly in DD but no other MK game ever?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:09 am

I'll have to be honest that nostalgia goggles have likely painted my memory of Double Dash, because I lost my copy like 8+ years ago and haven't been able to play it since. I remember loving it, but if there is weird control stuff going on my memory has very kindly erased that for me.

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 am

Wasn't DD the game that introduced "Hi I'm Daisy!"?

Honestly, DD was one of my personal favorites in the series but it's kinda hit or miss.
Like, I loved the two character per kart thing, and I loved how they're more animated and cartoon-like than in any other game in the series. The way they actually hold the items before using them? And how they balance a stack of 3 in one hand and lean back and forth trying not to drop them when you turn? Or how the back characters legs dangle as they hold on for dear life when you boost?

I liked the specialized items in concept and how much extra flavor and wackiness they added to the game, but they were nowhere near balanced and that was a fact.

I loved the two player, one kart team mode. When you were synched up you had that ram attack player 2 could use to steal items and you always knew when to toss the other player your item or switch with them. I was less thrilled with how weight classes worked and the heavier the character the less cars they could fit in.

I loved that you could dodge any item thrown at you. Red shells were simple with a little practice. The yoshi and birdo eggs kept a slightly tighter lock but could still be avoided. Even Blue shells could be avoided with a perfectly timed powerslide. On the other hand, it kinda defeated the purpose of the items that way. I remember once when I specifically dodged 3 red shells, an egg and 2 blue shells in rapid fire over the course of like half a lap. It felt awesome like nobody could touch me, but if I'd been on the other end I think I might have been kinda frustrated. (It was also possible to learn the quirks of the weapons and when to fire them to make them unavoidable or at least force somebody to swerve off road in order to do so, but kinda the same problem. If somebody is ahead and you can't catch them they probably know items better than you.)

I liked the simpler tracks that were filled with stuff. A lot of mario 64's tracks were long, empty and boring with straightaways where you couldn't do much. It felt like it was trying to be too "grand." A lot of the newer games have that same problem. They try to feel "big." I don't actually dislike "big" but it bothers me when it's the only thing there.
Double dash had a really good mix. Some of the course were shorter but they ALWAYS were filled with stuff to make them interesting. and they had all sorts of interesting secrets. a lot of returning DD courses have had their secret shortcuts removed in the newer games. Remember when the tracks used to actually get narrow at some points? I don't think there's a single choke point in all of 8.

I liked how the karts handled. I like that they can actually corner. MK Wii, they added bikes, which I disliked, but those made the karts handle terrible. Even in the lightest of lightweight karts in that game you absolutely had to powerslide to not hit the walls on most tracks. I like powersliding but it's an advanced sort of thing that you shouldn't need to do just to make it around the course.
In DD anyone could make it around the corners.
For that matter, DD was before they watered down powersliding. On a nice long turn you could still crank out like 3 boosts if you were fast. They gave nice rewards too. In the newer games not only can you do less, but they seem less and less potent too.

For that matter, I like the game balance better too. Ever since MK Wii, lightweight characters have been less and less viable. And I happen to prefer lightweights so chalk that one up to personal bias.

You know, I also dislike the submarine mode in 7 and 8? Water hazards in the old games used to be interesting because it'd slow you down in proportion to how badly you messed up. Shallow water just a little, deep water quite a bit. There's nothing that quite fills that purpose, and yet the sub adds basically nothing but flavor. And in exchange it actually really limits the ways they can use water on a track. Not a big fan of the hover mode either, but that's just because they use it to make you constantly drive straight up a wall or upside down. Seems like it's the new status quo now too, which kinda sucks.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:01 am

And who can forget how you'd slow to a crawl for 10 seconds after getting hit by a Blue Shell because of how your back character was dragging their feet? I wish I could...

[spoiler] the best console MK is SASRT [/spoiler]

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 am

I'd like to go on record as saying that Diddy King Racing has the best single-player experience of any kart racing video game, old or new.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Polls Forum”