If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

So, you're a Jedi...

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

What colour is your lightsaber?

Rainbow (I may have created this one just for me...)
13%
13%
9%
15%
9%
6%
9%
9%
6%
13%

Total votes: 47

SmackDownPete

Post by SmackDownPete » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:09 am

^^In the star wars roleplaying and old republic games they even had disruptor rifles and pistols which jedis could not reflect with their lightsabers due to the nature of the shots fired.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1536129, member: 17381"]dee wanna wanga

You know, not to go pretending the Separatist leadership wasn't dumber'n a sack of hammers, but you'd think they'd have some better protocol in place for dealing with Jedi guys than 'shoot at them'. Like, why not issue every tenth, or twentieth, or hundredth battle droid a thermal detonator? or a space bazooka? I mean, I'm not saying it would necessarily work-------just, you know, it's a hell of a lot harder to reflect an explosion with a lightsabre blade than a blaster bolt. Plus then we might have gotten to see that bitch Ki-Adi-Mundi get his legs blown off, and then cry and wet himself from the pain. That would have been extraordinarily funny. He'd be crying, all sad. Picking up his blown-off legs, trying to stick them back on. Realising he doesn't have enough Force-mana to cast a healing spell on himself because his magichlorians were all concentrated in his metatarsals and tibias. Then crying some more. Comedy gold.[/QUOTE]
What I want to know is why the battle droids speak out loud when communicating with one another. They're robots. They can communicate via some covert radio frequency or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1433312806,1433312739][/DOUBLEPOST]And what the hell was R2-D2 doing at the beginning of AotC when he was supposed to be guarding Padme? Sleeping? Robots don't need to **** sleep.[DOUBLEPOST=1433312950][/DOUBLEPOST]And why the hell did Zam Wessell's probe vomit a pair of slugs into Padme's room instead of just lobbing a grenade in there? And why did the probe just wait there outside the window until Anakin and Obi-Wan burst into the room? Was it watching the show? And why the hell didn't it just self-destruct to destroy any trace of evidence instead of flying back to its owner like a dumb **** **** robot?[DOUBLEPOST=1433313051][/DOUBLEPOST]Why the hell were General Grievous's organs contained in a flammable sack just barely protected by a flimsy breastplate that some guy can pry open with his bare hands?[DOUBLEPOST=1433313158][/DOUBLEPOST]Why the hell did Yoda and Obi-wan send baby Luke to live with Vader's **** family?

Why the hell didn't Obi-wan spend any of the next 19 years training Luke? What the hell was he doing in that desert hovel the whole time?[DOUBLEPOST=1433313398][/DOUBLEPOST]After Papa Palps led Anakin to turn his back on the Jedi Order, slaughter his former colleagues and even children, end democracy in the galaxy, get his limbs chopped off by his former mentor, have his ass burned off in lava, and ultimately kill the one person left that he cared about and was trying to save, why did Anakin stick with him? Why didn't he use his big cyborg hands to crush the throat of the withered old bastard who lied to him and completely ruined his life?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 am

All good questions. Most of them answerable with the old 'George Lucas wrote the scripts in a weekend and didn't think things through at all, so most of the characters' actions make no sense' excuse.

Here's another---------why didn't they try to establish the Trade Federation as bad guys, even just a little? Like, we know the Empire are evil. They kill tons of people. Just rampant murder. Very first thing we see them do in SW is gun down rebels. They kill Jawas, and Luke's aunt and uncle. They blow up Alderaan seemingly just to be a-holes. You know, having the bad guys actually be bad and do bad things raises the stakes. What does the Trade Federation do that's actually evil? Truthfully---------do you guys think the Trade Federation guys fired a single one of their guns whilst taking over Naboo? Kind of seems like the Naboo guys just kind of gave up without a fight. So did the Trade Federation start slaughtering people en masse? Maybe having public executions every hour on the hour until Pads broke down and signed the treaty? No. They just kind of mill around. Round people up and then just have them rounded up, I guess. It just seems like Nute Gunray is some kind of middle management doofus who got in way over his head as far as being evil is concerned. Like, if Darth Diculous told him, 'Start executing Naboo guys by the hundreds,' I seriously think Gunray would look horrified and exclaim, 'But that would be mean!!'

Boy, and how about those Naboo guys just giving up like a bunch of puking cowards without a shot fired? Talk about your bad guys not being evil---------how about your good guys not being admirable? Man. Again, one of the first things we see Rebels doing in SW is pitting their horribly-outmatched Blockade Runner against a Star Destroyer. Rebel troopers pretty much letting themselves get gunned down to buy Leia enough time to send the Dick Star plans off. Captain Antilles letting Vader murder him rather than give up any information. The Rebels are tough and defiant, and willing to die for their biz. So what do the Naboo guys have that makes them admirable? Why the hell should I root for the good guys or dislike the bad guys in the prequel saga? This isn't a war of good vs evil------it's a slapfight between 'idiot' and 'sissy'. Ugh.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:40 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1536186, member: 30663"]]And what the hell was R2-D2 doing at the beginning of AotC when he was supposed to be guarding Padme? Sleeping? Robots don't need to ****ing sleep.[/QUOTE]

Aside from probably Lucas wanting to show R2 as a cute alarm system, I would think that droids need to shut down at some point to normalize their system, in the same way that a laptop or whatever sometimes gets pissed at you for being on for so long. If you recall, Threepio does this in Episode IV when he casually asks Luke if he requires any assistance because he plans on shutting down for a while. The real question is why the f*ck wouldn't they just make sure R2 didn't need to shut down during his lookout?

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1536186, member: 30663"]And why the hell did Zam Wessell's probe vomit a pair of slugs into Padme's room instead of just lobbing a grenade in there? And why did the probe just wait there outside the window until Anakin and Obi-Wan burst into the room? Was it watching the show? And why the hell didn't it just self-destruct to destroy any trace of evidence instead of flying back to its owner like a dumb ****ing dumb**** robot?[/QUOTE]

I forgot to address this in my "rewrite" of Attack of the Clones. Any kind of destruction would still leave some evidence, however small. Bits and pieces of probe fragments. The probe probably stayed to make sure the bugs did the job. I guess you could argue that the probe's fragments would have been lost in the depths of Coruscant anyway. It'd be like to trying to find broken pieces of glass on the beach or something.

A bigger question though is how could you effing cut a window open without any alarm going off? Heck - our ADT systems nowadays are better than that.

I also always thought it was stupid that Jango Fett used a dart to kill Zam. That left a tracaebility that I don't think a Mandalorian bounty hunter would overlook. He should have just sniped her. In fact - why didn't he just fly away to Padme's apartment and finish the job himself? Zam had ended up luring the Jedi all the way on the other side of the city or whatever. With them gone, Padme has only humdrum security guards - simple idiots that Jango could have easily taken out. Granted, this could have been easily answered with an added scene of some more Jedi being called in to rush to Padme's protection while Anakin and Obi-wan pursued the assassin.

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1536186, member: 30663"]
Why the hell did Yoda and Obi-wan send baby Luke to live with Vader's ****ing family?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it would have really mattered at that point where Luke lived. Vader knows Padme is dead anyway and so the twins must be dead. He has no reason to care about or visit the Lars family ever again. Having the twins raised by the Organas would maybe be another option but you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. The real issue is that we never got a sense of the Lars family and how they could have been good guardians.

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1536186, member: 30663"]
Why the hell didn't Obi-wan spend any of the next 19 years training Luke? What the hell was he doing in that desert hovel the whole time?[/QUOTE]

It's assumed in RotS (albeit very poorly) and stated in the EU that he was meditating to learn how to do that Force ghost thing he eventually does in the original trilogy, as Yoda told him Qui-gon has done it and he too should learn this. An idea I had on this is that maybe Obi-wan feared the same anger that was in Anakin resided in Luke. Heck, Episode III should have had a moment of guilt shown in Obi-wan where he maybe decides not to train anymore because he felt like he failed Anakin. He could have also been helping the Rebellion in some way.

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1536240, member: 17381"]

Here's another---------why didn't they try to establish the Trade Federation as bad guys, even just a little? Like, we know the Empire are evil. They kill tons of people. Just rampant murder. Very first thing we see them do in SW is gun down rebels. They kill Jawas, and Luke's aunt and uncle. They blow up Alderaan seemingly just to be a-holes. You know, having the bad guys actually be bad and do bad things raises the stakes. What does the Trade Federation do that's actually evil? Truthfully---------do you guys think the Trade Federation guys fired a single one of their guns whilst taking over Naboo? Kind of seems like the Naboo guys just kind of gave up without a fight. So did the Trade Federation start slaughtering people en masse? Maybe having public executions every hour on the hour until Pads broke down and signed the treaty? No. They just kind of mill around. Round people up and then just have them rounded up, I guess. It just seems like Nute Gunray is some kind of middle management doofus who got in way over his head as far as being evil is concerned. Like, if Darth Diculous told him, 'Start executing Naboo guys by the hundreds,' I seriously think Gunray would look horrified and exclaim, 'But that would be mean!!'

[/QUOTE]

The point was though that the Trade Federation was comprised of greedy idiots. They're not really bad, just very foolish and able to be manipulated. So like our political candidates! Of course the real villain is Sidious and Darth Maul. I think you just like your bad guys clear cut, which I understand. But when I first watched Episode I, I still wanted Nute Gunray to get it in the face because corruption can suck it. Since the prequels were made in the more modern age, it played on more modern themes. It's not like in the sixties and seventies when we had the Cold War going on and this "us vs them" mentality. Modern cinema, like today, doesn't like to pit heroes and villains in a black and white contrast. But yeah they could have maybe added a little devilry. In my Episode I rewrite, a Gungan (not Jar-Jar) is kept prisoner by them in order to find the rest of the Gungans. They would torture him and stuff, hearkening back to the torturing of Leia.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Yes, I would like my heroes and villains clear-cut. This is 'Star Wars', not 'Game of Thrones' or something. These are meant to be movies for the whole family to enjoy, like, from the kids on up, and it's impossible to give a damn when you can't relate to anybody. The Naboo aren't valiant underdogs---------hell, we barely see any Naboo people at all. For all one can tell, that whole Naboo capital city is populated solely by the Queen and her handmaidens, Captain Panaka and his homies, and a few fighter pilots. (Up until the dumb victory celebration at the end, that is. Then the joint is packed.)

Like, all right, wouldn't it have established some kind of emotional connection if we saw Naboo's security guys fighting back? Taking down some droids before being forced to retreat under withering fire? Like, buildings ablaze or outright exploding, Naboo civilians running around screaming, bad-guy droids firing indiscriminately into the panicked mob? Maybe security good guys trying to help civvies evacuate or something? You tell me, man. Wouldn't that all give us more to work with than 'the droids roll into the city completely uncontested without any loss of life'?

Show us the stakes, I say. Let's see the consequences of letting the bad guys have their way. If it's 'robots patrol around city, not really doing anything evil', then why the hell not let them have the planet. I'm not invested in the struggle between 'ehhh' and 'duhhhh'. It doesn't have any grit.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:26 pm

I guess, yeah. I'd have no problem with an added scene(s) of Naboo. . Nabooians fighting the droids. Or is it Nabooites? Nabooans? Nabooties. Whatever. I think the other issue then is how the plot was just structured - focusing first on Obi-wan and Qui-gon rather than Naboo as a whole being invaded. It's true that I recall Padme saying to Jar-Jar "My people are dying, what can I do? Blah blah blah" and me thinking "Uh, we haven't really seen your people suffering. Like. At all." Also, I thought the Trade Federation droids were never as intimidating as faceless stormtroopers with their totalitarian white. I had a hard time feeling threatened by droids that go, "Uh, wait, you're under arrest." As we've gone over many times before, they only went downhill as the prequels progress with goofy voices.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 pm

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1535767, member: 17381"] (Captain Panaka was rad. He and his squad took on the entire castle's worth of robots like boss champs and came out without a scratch. Really makes you appreciate how worthless the Jedi are, when like six normal dudes and Padme are more capable of capturing Nute Gunray in his own base than the entire Council is for the whole of the next two movies.) [/QUOTE]

Man I've been out of this thread for a bit to miss stuff but Captain Panaka was someone I thought really needed more spotlight. Instead in AotC we get another random captain with an eyepatch and then he's gone before the first half even finishes. One of my biggest gripes with the prequels is the lack of recurring characters aside from the main caravan we're forced to care about (Obi-wan, Anakin, Padme and Palpatine). We needed like a prequel version of Wedge and Lando, know what I mean? Also, when I was a kid first watching Episode I, I kept thinking Panaka was Denzel Washington. He kind of looks like him. Denzel Washington Captain Panaka would have been badass.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:08 pm

I think there was a throwaway line at the beginning of TPM where Sio Bibble says "the death toll [from the Trade Federation invasion] is catastrophic," but apart from that all we see them do is drive tanks through the city gates and round up a few guards.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:14 pm

The Gungan idiots refer to them as 'the Naboo'...oh wait, I'm sorry, as 'DAH NAH-BOO'. Hard to say whether that passes muster as name for the people. The Gungans are idiots, after all. Key-riminy, Boss Nass makes JarJar 'Sh*ttiness Made Flesh' Binks a general in his army. What the hell is wrong with your species when that becomes a viable option. Were the Gungan equivalents to Don Knotts and Jerry Lewis not available? (Man. I hate Boss Nass so much. And yet he was voiced by Brian Blessed, who is awesome. And, like, he did a good job portraying the role. Not his fault the role was garbage. This is confounding.)

If they wanted us to give a hang about the Naboo guys (don't care what the Gungans say------I wouldn't trust one of them clowns to sit the right way on a toilet seat, I damn sure won't take their cue on proper syntax, the gibbering pidgin-speaking imbeciles), they should have a) done the heroic struggley eh ne ne ne I already mentioned, and b) made the main character a Naboo guy, and established him a little before the crisis. (Gee, am I going to refer to ANH again?)

Like, Luke is pretty well-established by the time he decides to go with Ben. Like, he's a real good kid, he plays a little, jokes around a little, he feels frustrated, he wants to do right by his family, he's a little lost and sad and confused. (Gee, making your main character a really normal relatable guy, instead of some arch british assh*le in a bathrobe or an annoying little dipsh*t kid. Who knew that would work.) Like, that moment when he's watching the suns set...it says so much, without saying a single word. (You know, I don't know, but I have to think someone other than Lucas devised that moment. It's too sublimely, subtley brilliant for his idiot fingers. It doesn't have any dumb garbage going on, man.)[DOUBLEPOST=1433358878,1433358567][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1536284, member: 31048"]Man I've been out of this thread for a bit to miss stuff but Captain Panaka was someone I thought really needed more spotlight. Instead in AotC we get another random captain with an eyepatch and then he's gone before the first half even finishes. One of my biggest gripes with the prequels is the lack of recurring characters aside from the main caravan we're forced to care about (Obi-wan, Anakin, Padme and Palpatine). We needed like a prequel version of Wedge and Lando, know what I mean? Also, when I was a kid first watching Episode I, I kept thinking Panaka was Denzel Washington. He kind of looks like him. Denzel Washington Captain Panaka would have been badass.[/QUOTE]

Good old Hugh Quarshie. Aside from portraying Captain Panaka (easily the coolest guy in TPM), he also played Kastagir, one of the last immortals in the original 'Highlander' flick (went toe-to-toe with the Kurgan. Man. I sure wouldn't want to try that on for size. Balls of solid rock, Kastagir).

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:28 pm

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1536286, member: 17381"]
Like, Luke is pretty well-established by the time he decides to go with Ben. Like, he's a real good kid, he plays a little, jokes around a little, he feels frustrated, he wants to do right by his family, he's a little lost and sad and confused. Like, that moment when he's watching the suns set...it says so much, without saying a single word. (You know, I don't know, but I have to think someone other than Lucas devised that moment. It's too sublimely, subtley brilliant for his idiot fingers. It doesn't have any dumb garbage going on, man.)[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of directors who are also writers just lose steam after many years. Lucas was greatly inspired early on by Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and Joseph Campbell's work on heroes and legends and the Flash Gordon stuff. His mind was fertile with inspiration. Now it's dead. It's like with Shyalaman, how The Sixth Sense came out and everyone was all "omg so good" but now he's like the worst writer/director ever and is only able to produce really awful stuff. They just peaked and then everything else after that is crap.

Then again, sometimes I wonder if the original trilogy is only successful because of the technological limitations at the time, forcing them to really write a good screenplay. Lucas always said stuff like how his vision didn't feel open enough until CGI became established. I wonder if the prequel trilogy were made THEN and the original trilogy made NOW if the latter would be awful because Lucas would jizz over the use of CGI and sacrified good screenwriting.

I feel for him though. As an aspiriing writer who's crafting his own fictional universes, I suddenly understand where Lucas is coming from going crazy with special editions and having written so many different versions of the same story. You get obsessed with trying to feel good about what the right version must be. Recently, they released Lucas's very first draft of Star Wars (titled THE Star Wars) in comic book format. It's weird and different - but also ineresting how it could have been what we saw.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Let's don't forget that ANH was literally saved in editing. Lucas' original cut was a total turkey----------just an incoherent mess, that some editor somehow pulled the real ANH out of. Then Lucas had actual skilled writers and directors on-hand for ESB and RotJ, in order to ensure those two would be good. Evidently hubris got the better of him by the time prequel saga came about.

Would we even be having this conversation if 'Phantom Menace' had been the first SW flick? I doubt it. SW wouldn't exist in the zeitgeist. TPM would be that wildly-uneven not-very-good old sci-fi/fantasy flick not many people remember. It'd be sharing shelf-space with 'Krull' and 'The Black Hole'. 'Biggles' Adventures in Time'. 'Tron'. (Admit it, already, world, 'Tron' was so overrated.)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:20 am

^I dunno though. What I mean is I think TPM would have been forced to have a better script since the movie technology wouldn't have allowed them to do many things - such as a massive army of droids, the podrace, wildly acrobatic lightsaber duels, maybe even the senate. The openings of TPM and ANH are similar in the sense that it's about a politician escaping from some big villains, and the plot ends up on a desolate planet which our most important main character lives. I just wonder what TPM would have been like in 1977 without all the opening bullcrap in Naboo - without the Gungan City and the sea monster chases and the this and the that and the other thing. It would have probably been similar to ANH by opening up with the Trade Federation pursuing the Queen and then the Queen ends up on Tatooine. And that's it. We're already on Tatooine within the first ten minutes or so like in ANH. Heck, maybe the Trade Federation wouldn't even have had battle droids, maybe they'd be creepy aliens like Nute Gunray in armor.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:39 am

Yeah, but we get to Luke really quick in ANH, and the movie kind of becomes about him at that point. Compare to TPM, where we don't meets stupid-ass Anakins until about forty-odd minutes in, and he's an auxiliary figure at best up until he accidentally saves the day at the end. (Hey, you know, spinning really is a good trick! F*ck Anakin and his midichlorians. F*ck them both right in the ear.)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I like how this thread suddenly turned into a "Rant about Star Wars when something comes to mind thread". But AotC should seriously be taught in film school as an example of horrible editing and flow. These are really nitpicky things that if you love film you'll realize this is all so goddamn awful. After the opening crawl, we see Padme's ship and two Naboo starfighters flying towards Coruscant.

Then - and the editor in me gets SO IRKED by this, it's like nails on a chalkboard - we cut to a scene that lasts literally 5 seconds where we see the back of Padme and some officer is saying "We'll be landing shortly, your highness blah blah" and then we cut back to the ships flying towards Coruscant. It gives my brain whiplash. Clearly that scene was intended to identify Padme as being inside the ship to the audience and also to give some suspense when "Padme" lands and is blown away, but it's really her assistant Corde. But this is done so choppy. We don't have time to savor the people on the ship. It's editing purely made to get to the point as quickly as possible like you don't care about your scene.

Return of the Jedi has a similar opening where we follow Imperials carrying Vader to the Death Star. But the difference there is we take extra seconds to give a good flow of action as the Death Star and the ship communicate. It also serves a purpose as they introduce the concept of the deflector shield.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:50 pm

^It seemed an interesting direction to take the topic in after we were done talking about lightsabre blade colours.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:11 am

[Quote=Booyakasha]Admit it, already, world, 'Tron' was so overrated.[/quote]

Maybe but Tron: Legacy was neat.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:13 am

Mmmm. Olivia Wilde in dem spandex.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:18 am

The music was cool, too. I don't like Daft Punk but that was cool.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:30 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1537878, member: 18119"]I don't like Daft Punk [/QUOTE]

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 am

^ Well, I just don't like much music in general. For some reason, most of the best music comes from movies or games, IMO. I compare Daft Punk's other music to Tron and it's just meh. Maybe because I think of the cool games/movies that go along with the music I like, maybe, I dunno.

Return to “Polls Forum”