If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

ML is playing Chrono Trigger again

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Marilink
Supermod

ML is playing Chrono Trigger again

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

This isn't really a Let's Play thread, but I wanted some place to drop all of my thoughts on Chrono Trigger as I replay it for the umpteenth time. I will talk about this game until the cows come home, so feel free to offer up your thoughts on the game, react to my own, or just discuss this work of art in general.

Through Twitter and some text conversations with my brother, I've already compiled a few reactions. (If you follow me on Twitter, I apologize for doubling up; but I'll generally flesh out my thoughts a bit more here.)

btw, spoilers.
  • The first time you arrive in 23000 AD, there's no indication that you should advance to the Sewer before going through Lab 32. The only inkling of telling you to go to Death Peak through the Sewer is one guy that says something like "There's an old man down in the Dome to the South, but the Sewers are dangerous and Death Peak is where this whole mess started." So, it's almost like this dialogue is telling you not to go there. However, if you don't go through the Sewers at this point in the game, you have a memory later in the game that you never should have, when you're introduced to Belthazar. This isn't that big of a deal, in the long run...but it's one of the only plot inconsistencies in the game and it stands out to me because of that.
  • It's fascinating that Azala and the Reptites are more advanced than prehistoric humans, including linguistically. Is this intentional, or is this a Woolsey special? I think it's intentional, though I can't check the original Japanese or anything. Either way, the fact that the Reptites are so much smarter than the Humans makes their extinction a little tragic or sympathetic, even though they're not exactly the nicest individuals. Humans didn't turn out entirely great in the long run, either.
  • I love that EXP is gained by all party members, including those who aren't with you. It makes it much more inviting to switch up your party and try out new team combinations. And there is still benefit to rotating, mainly the Dual and Triple Techs. CT has such a good balance of characters in so many ways--there aren't too many, nobody is too good, everyone has beneficial situations, and all have interesting personalities in their own ways. One of the best ensemble casts in a JRPG.
  • Marle has always been, and forever will be, Best Girl.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:10 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1633468, member: 23215"]
  • The first time you arrive in 23000 AD, there's no indication that you should advance to the Sewer before going through Lab 32. The only inkling of telling you to go to Death Peak through the Sewer is one guy that says something like "There's an old man down in the Dome to the South, but the Sewers are dangerous and Death Peak is where this whole mess started." So, it's almost like this dialogue is telling you not to go there. However, if you don't go through the Sewers at this point in the game, you have a memory later in the game that you never should have, when you're introduced to Belthazar. This isn't that big of a deal, in the long run...but it's one of the only plot inconsistencies in the game and it stands out to me because of that.
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I think many RPGs try to give you hints on where to go by having an NPC tell you a place is dangerous. Naturally, a humdrum citizen of Simple Villagetown would find anything outside their comfort zone dangerous. Whenever someone tells me a place is dangerous my first thought is "Better check it out." Reverse psychology.

I think the Reptites are more technologically advanced than the humans in the prehistory era for the simple reason that dinosaurs are assumed to have evolved first before humans, so they had more time to produce technology and culture.

Marle has always been and always will be awesome. I have always admired the female-to-male ratio of characters in the main cast of Chrono Trigger. I really like how they showed three types of girls - Lucca is the nerdy type, Ayla is a sporty/daring type, and Marle is like in the middle. Almost like Powerpuff Girls.

I actually realized just now, in retrospect, that my girlfriend is basically Marle.

Holy ****. I found my waifu in real life.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm

• The Magus castle and fight...I can't get over how cool it is. The single tone and lack of battle music, the castle design, Slash and Flea, the Masamune, the Magus theme...it's just all so good. One of the best false climaxes in video games, period.
Carthago delendum est

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

I've only ever gotten to Masa and Mune. This game is pretty high in my backlog, but I'd really like to get the DS version.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm

^The DS version is really good. I really like the translation about 95% of the time. I have some qualms, though. Namely, they changed "Good morning, Crono!" which, in my book, was an iconic phrase.

It also does dumb things like translate "Head Chef" as "Master of Kitchens." The translators did a bit too formal of a translation and came up with some goofy stuff like that. It's translated, but not exactly localized.
Carthago delendum est

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 pm

I just picked up the DS version. I should get around to playing that soon.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I made it to the final battle on the DS version years ago and then could never be bothered to do the necessary grinding to actually win said battle. Basically the same situation I'm in with FFVI.

It's on my list of things I need to go back to someday, in large part because that first run was before I really had any significant experience with the genre. There were some parts I loved (anything involving Lucca/Frog/Robo) and some parts I couldn't stand (anything involving Marle/Ayla), but at this point it's very difficult for me to say what's still legitimately great about it versus what was merely new to me at the time.

All I'm sure about is that I no longer like the opening fair at all, the OST is one of the all-time greats, and that "the word refused to change" is an almost unbeatable way to do a bad ending.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:01 am

^Thankfully, the Millennial Fair section is incredibly short if you do the bare minimum. (Run up to Marle, go back and talk to the girl sitting on the fountain, then head up to Lucca)
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 am

DS was a good remake. My only complaint was that, having never played the original version (except on emulator but not all the way through), I didn't realize I was spending time on some extra content exclusive for the DS. It was this thing where you had to keep going up and down a mountain to deliver different magical items to these people in a cave. Something like that. It went on for what felt like forever and I reached a point where I was like "God, is this really part of the main story?" And I looked it up and the answer was a big fat, "Nope." As a result, I strayed from the main story and kind of forgot what was going on. I hate it so much when you forget what's going on in an RPG.

Lost Sanctum! That was it!
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1633569, member: 23215"]^Thankfully, the Millennial Fair section is incredibly short if you do the bare minimum. (Run up to Marle, go back and talk to the girl sitting on the fountain, then head up to Lucca)[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Are there any consequences in the trial for doing it that way?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Only superficially. There are a few dialogue changes depending on if you're pronounced guilty or innocent, but even if you're found innocent, the Chancellor tricks the system into having you executed anyway. I prefer it that way for the story, but ultimately you end up in the same place.
Carthago delendum est

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm

• The first entrance to the Kingdom of Zeal is one of my favorite gaming moments of all time. (Really don't read this if you want to play this game for yourself sometime!) You witness Lavos crash into the planet, realizing that he's not anything more than a random, cosmic chance encounter that just so happens to doom the entire world. You hear Azala's prophecy of the immense destruction and the ensuing ice age. Upon entering the gate, you wind up in that very ice age, still in the distant distant past, almost 2,000 years earlier than the next-earliest time period you've been to. You don't know what to expect, but it sure doesn't seem good. Yet you find this mystical sky bridge in the overworld. All of a sudden, you're in this amazing world of magic and prosperity. You never expected this amazing spectacle in this ice age.

...and despite its grandeur and magical veneer, never once does it feel like anyone in the kingdom is actually happy.

It's so good.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Retro Games”