If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

SNES or Genesis?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:38 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1609696, member: 23215"]You heard it here first, folks--Mode 7 > Blast Processing. Read all about it.[/QUOTE]
It's easy to be better than something that doesn't exist.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:48 pm

SNES wins overall, but the Genesis was still awesome in its own right.
What's the matter, scared?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Hard to have a fair opinion one way or another when I've barely played Genesis. Most kids had one or the other. If I'd had both I doubt I'd have cared which one I was playing as long as the game was good.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:15 pm

[QUOTE="He Who is Without Skin, post: 1609698, member: 25415"]It's easy to be better than something that doesn't exist.[/QUOTE]
True that. It just struck me as sort of funny that Mode 7, which has sort of become a punchline in retro gaming, was the point to combat Blast Processing, which has always been a punchline to anyone who understands things. Just a sort of surreal article to read for me now, being so far removed from that point.
Carthago delendum est

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:18 pm

So, was the SNES more powerful?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1609711, member: 34516"]So, was the SNES more powerful?[/QUOTE]

Mostly.

St. Tazy Ten

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Definitely SNES. Although Genesis has a lot of good games, SNES just had more of almost everything.

Not a better Mortal Kombat port, but hey everyone makes mistakes.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I remember the 1900s. When third parties still made games for Nintendo. Sega had a comparable and in some respects better first party lineup, but without that support, the advantage clearly went to Nintendo.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:57 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1609710, member: 23215"]True that. It just struck me as sort of funny that Mode 7, which has sort of become a punchline in retro gaming, was the point to combat Blast Processing, which has always been a punchline to anyone who understands things. Just a sort of surreal article to read for me now, being so far removed from that point.[/QUOTE]
I was unaware that anyone considered Mode 7 to be a punchline to anything? The MD actually did not house tech capable of easy background manipulations like this:

Image[DOUBLEPOST=1475211449,1475210973][/DOUBLEPOST]And of course, more of Nintendo poking fun at Sega's marketing:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:03 am

I've definitely seen/heard/made jokes at the expense of Mode 7. It was useful, obviously, but sometimes it looked so grainy and bad, or sometimes it seemed like games were just trying to use any excuse to throw some sweet, sweet Mode 7 action in.

That one rotating room in Castlevania IV immediately comes to mind, along with things like the Chocobo map in FFVI and the soaring/cannonball map in SD3/SoM. On the other hand, some of its other implemenatations are super subtle or simply well-done and I never would have even noticed them. I actually have never thought of the tower collapse in Super Metroid and the moving platform in SMW to be Mode 7, but it makes sense now.

Like I said, it was just funny and fun to read their counter argument to Blast Processing being "But we can stretch, scale, and rotate sprites!" It was a different time, and it's fun to go back to.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:58 am

Ah, well the thing that made it actually special was not scaling of sprites, which both systems could do to some extent (although the SNES was inevitably better at it), but the SNES could scale and rotate tiled backgrounds of a colossal magnitude. Not just a single graphic, but an entire plane containing other graphics.

Anyway, clever programmers made use of the SNES's expansive abilities to drive something like 16 or more parallax layers at once, with at least 4 on the system hardware itself. Have a look at this clip from Killer Instinct, pay attention to the bridge in the background:

That's not just Mode 7. Mind you, the Genesis could only drive 2 background layers.

Some games like Super Off Road: the Baja took parallaxing and scaling to such extremes the likes of which many today would not recall.

[MEDIA=youtube]sRBX2GbGr2M[/MEDIA]

If only Stunt Race FX ran faster than 15 fps.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:57 am

I don't think you understand guys. Sega DOES what NintenDON'T. It's what plants crave!
[spoiler]Yes, SNES was better. Yes, I still love my Genesis.[/spoiler]

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:58 pm

i will fight you all to the death you nintendorks[DOUBLEPOST=1475258332,1475257943][/DOUBLEPOST]**** gunstar heroes

comix zone in your **** face

vectorman now and forever

let's talk about strider for a second before i punch you

don't **** with ristar

imma kill you if you hate on toejam and earl

goddamn aladdin has a **** sword in the snes one you only have APPLES what is that trash

you ever play golden axe you stupid idiot

like are we not even gonna talk about castlevania bloodlines

streets of rage 2 do you even know what this **** is

don't even get me started on sonic especially sonic and knuckles, i ain't chuckling right now i'm for real
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:18 am

The Aladdin one always slays me. Like, it's nice that Aladdin had smooth animation. Capcom dropped the ball on that one. Had nothing to do with Nintendo or Sega. Folks on SNES were too inundated with killer original stuff to pay attention to tie-in games.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Other then classic sonic, Genesis games don't really interest me much. SNES has Mario, Kirby, Metroid, the better 16 bit Megaman games, Secret Of Mana, Zelda, and so much more!

Return to “Retro Games”