If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

SNES or Genesis?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

VG_Addict

SNES or Genesis?

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 am

Let's settle the 16-bit wars once and for all. Which was the better consoles, the SNES or the Sega Genesis/Megadrive?

Personally, I think the SNES's better 3rd party support and controller make it the winner.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 am

SNES wins pretty easily, really. Genesis was good but not really even as good as any of Nintendo's systems aside from maybe tying with NES, Wii, & Wii U.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1609632, member: 18119"]SNES wins pretty easily, really. Genesis was good but not really even as good as any of Nintendo's systems aside from maybe tying with NES, Wii, & Wii U.[/QUOTE]

I think the SNES was more powerful. It was able to run Doom. Not very well, but it could run it.

The SNES definitely wins in sound. I don't think there's any Genesis game that has music as good as Super Mario RPG's.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:13 am

^ Overall I think SNES was a stronger system in most regards. I don't know specs but I remember Genesis had one to two advantages though they obviously didn't make enough of a difference because even the best Genesis games don't look or sound as good as the best SNES games.

I do think Genesis' 6-button controller was cool just because I prefer more buttons, though.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:31 am

Super Nintendo. Forever.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:11 am

The Genesis was basically a consolized Amiga, and unfortunately suffered an inferior design overall as well as really annoying "edgy" marketing that compared it to technology from the generation prior. The SNES was much more purpose-built. I've had more fun with Turbo Grafx and Neo Geo games than the Mega Drive overall, even putting the SNES aside. Bonk's Adventure was pretty much Nintendo Quality software, and Metal Slug and other SNK titles rank as some of my favorite games of all time.

But the system which received many of the best titles during the 16-bit generation was the NES. You can't argue with Mega Man 2-6, and they all came out from 89 onwards. Super Mario Bros. 3 released in 90. Ninja Gaiden 1-3 released from 89. The NES received amazing, landmark titles all the way through 1993, well into the lifespan of the Genesis/MD. By the end of 94, the Playstation was launching and the Genesis was nearly abandoned by Sega, while the SNES was really only just hitting its stride with games like Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario World 2, Chrono Trigger all debuting in 95 with others like Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Deluxe, to come in 96.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:59 am

I think NES is sort of overrated. It was a starting place for many great franchises but it shows its age far more than any other Nintendo system, and naturally so to an extent, but I think SNES games still feel pretty modern even after all this time. However, NES seems very archaic to me. Extremely limited controls, lots of arcadey games, and everything was "Nintendo hard" which just translates to repetition so they can artificially lengthen otherwise very short games.

Some neat trivia I stumbled across last night, Master System's last official games was '98 (Mickey's Ultimate Challenge). To put that in perspective, it was just a few months prior to the Dreamcast's release. That would be like us getting a PS1 game just before PS4 released.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 am

SNES ALL THE WAY.

Genesis was fun but felt like a knockoff. Something just. . .cheesy about it.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1609648, member: 18119"]I think NES is sort of overrated. It was a starting place for many great franchises but it shows its age far more than any other Nintendo system, and naturally so to an extent, but I think SNES games still feel pretty modern even after all this time. However, NES seems very archaic to me. Extremely limited controls, lots of arcadey games, and everything was "Nintendo hard" which just translates to repetition so they can artificially lengthen otherwise very short games.

Some neat trivia I stumbled across last night, Master System's last official games was '98 (Mickey's Ultimate Challenge). To put that in perspective, it was just a few months prior to the Dreamcast's release. That would be like us getting a PS1 game just before PS4 released.[/QUOTE]

The NES was much better than the Master System.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:40 am

As much as I appreciate the NES, and it was the first system I had growing up, there are very few games I find myself enjoying as much going back to in comparison to SNES.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:45 am

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1609656, member: 34516"]The NES was much better than the Master System.[/QUOTE]

They're actually pretty even, I think. Nintendo edges out the win but it's closer than SNES VS Genesis.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

SNES came out quite a bit after the Genesis did, so it's no contest in my opinion. SNES was just superior in almost every sense of the word.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:41 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1609634, member: 18119"]^ Overall I think SNES was a stronger system in most regards. I don't know specs but I remember Genesis had one to two advantages though they obviously didn't make enough of a difference because even the best Genesis games don't look or sound as good as the best SNES games.

I do think Genesis' 6-button controller was cool just because I prefer more buttons, though.[/QUOTE]

Didn't the Genesis have a faster processor?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 pm

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1609667, member: 34516"]Didn't the Genesis have a faster processor?[/QUOTE]

I heard that "blast processing" was a real thing to some extent, so maybe. According to wiki it is "an obscure programming trick on the graphics hardware."

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 pm

The NES was like The Terminator and then SNES was like Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Like, oh Terminator movie was cool and all BUT OH MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN TERMINATOR 2????
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1609672, member: 31048"]The NES was like The Terminator and then SNES was like Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Like, oh Terminator movie was cool and all BUT OH MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN TERMINATOR 2????[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good analogy, actually. N64 would definitely be Termintator 3. Pretty good, not as great as T2 but arguably better than T1. Poor GameCube is certainly better than Terminator Salvation though, so that's pretty much where it ends.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:26 pm

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1609667, member: 34516"]Didn't the Genesis have a faster processor?[/QUOTE]
The Genesis was not made to scale well over time. It had a single dedicated CPU for 16-bit games which aged as the system did. The SNES was built in such a way as to decrease the CPU load with superior sound and graphics processors beyond what the Mega Drive could. Essentially, the base level Genesis/MD had more general ability in the CPU category, but in practice it did not use it to drive software in any way that compares well to the SNES's superior architecture. To properly grasp the ability of the SNES, one must take into account the additional co-processors which were housed in the cartridges and optimised to cheaply provide a method to perform operations specific to whichever game contained them, a function which Genesis games by and large lacked. Remember the Super FX chip? It wasn't the only such chip in SNES cartridges, and it wasn't even the only version of the FX.

More importantly, the notion that the processor's frequency is a measure of that system's capability is incorrect. 3 mhz versus 7 mhz means only that the CPU made use of that much more electricity, not that the CPU requiring 5 more made good or conservative use of it.

Blast processing was just a dumb marketing buzzword for performing calculations between frames, during screen blanking afaik. That was actually standard practice on Nintendo consoles.

What Nintendo had to say on the subject, themselves:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:31 pm

It's hard to argue against my favorite console of gaming's history. At least 4, if not more, of my favorite games are SNES games. It's a phenomenal system.
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Nintendo sure is a shadow of their former selves, and that's a stark reminder of the fact. Look at how aggressive and competitive they were. Now they just want to make an easy buck off some crap gimmicks they chuck into the blue ocean.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 pm

[QUOTE="He Who is Without Skin, post: 1609688, member: 25415"]

Image[/QUOTE]
You heard it here first, folks--Mode 7 > Blast Processing. Read all about it.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Retro Games”