If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

GB/GBC/GBA Games

Moderator: е и ժ е я

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

GB/GBC/GBA Games

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:45 am

Just a general GB topic, basically. I'll start off talking about Castlevania Adventure. I don't know how many people played this one, but I just now beat it and it is the first and only pre-SoTN CV I have beat.

My thoughts:

It is very short, 4 stages, and obviously they "made up" for this with high difficulty and a ton of cheap s***. Bosses range from easy to medium difficulty. Music is great, graphics don't hold up well.

What do you guys think about this one? Any GB games come to mind?

...btw i used save states

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:48 am

I remember the Game Boy Color being my first handheld (save for a Game Gear I borrowed from my uncle) and it had Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on it. I have good memories of that game.

I like most of the Mario titles for the GB line though: Super Mario Land 2, the Super Mario Advance series, Mario & Luigi, and Mario Party Advance were all games I sunk a lot of time into.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

I pretty much played Pokemon at first. To be fair that's because I couldn't beat any other game boy game I got. Star Wars, Batman, Super Mario Land 2, all too hard for my wee brain to comprehend.

Though I was playing Pokemon Gold so it evened out.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 pm

I pretty much exclusively played Pokemon on handhelds until I got a copy of the LttP GBA re-release (which was the only way I could actually play the game). Then I spread out to Minish Cap from there.

Still I would say my most-extensively-played retro handheld game is by FAR my copy of Pokemon Ruby. My bb <33
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:32 pm

The GameBoy Pocket was my first GameBoy. I don't know what was my first GameBoy game specifically but they included Pokemon Red/Blue, Donkey Kong Land, Star Wars, Game & Watch Gallery, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, and this really crappy Godzilla game.

I wish I got more RPG's. Beside the original Pokemon games, I didn't get into RPGs until late high school. But I really want to experience having an RPG like The Final Fantasy Legend on my GB Pocket.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I just beat Wario Land II recently. It was so awesome, and I'd highly recommend that anyone play it.

I've been meaning to make a longer thread dedicated to it. Maybe I'll still do that.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 pm

I played 'Harvest Moon GBC' a lot back in high school. Wonder if my save is still any good. Going on eighteen years old now. Great game.

'Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble' was a hoot.

Don't believe I made it terribly far in any of the GBA Pokemons. I kind of got lost about fifteen hours in and couldn't find anyplace new to go or anyone to battle, so I lost interest. Played 'Klonoa' and 'Advance Wars' a bunch, though.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Oh man I always wanted Kirby Tilt n Tumble.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Mega Man Zero series is so good.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:33 pm

GBA Castlevanias are the best, entirely. The Metroid games on GBA were both fantastic as well.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:55 am

[QUOTE="Hell Orb, post: 1583572, member: 25415"]GBA Castlevanias are the best, entirely. The Metroid games on GBA were both fantastic as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, GBA Castlevanias are absolutely the best in the series, IMO. Many will say SoTN but Circle of the Moon trumps that any day.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:27 am

I dunno, Dawn of Sorrow...
Carthago delendum est

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Did you mean Aria of Sorrow?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 pm

No, I meant Dawn. Aria was good, but Dawn was better.
Carthago delendum est

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:41 am

That was on the DS.

Personally I feel the sorrow games were probably some of the best Castlevania games - partly because I got lost the least amount of times with them.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:51 am

I realize. I was merely talking about good Castlevania games, which I admit, isn't privy to the original thread.
Carthago delendum est

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am

Yeah. :P Personally I feel Aria of Sorrow is one of the best ones in the castlevania series, in part cause it feels like you got some progression.

Also, FFTA was released on the Wii U virtual console.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:55 am

Did that get released Stateside as well? The article that I saw only mentioned Europe.
Carthago delendum est

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 pm

I had all three of the GBA Castlevania games. I think I got them used from someone. They are actually pretty good, from what I remember. Kind of easy though, except for Circle of the Moon. After getting through the original game and Castlevania 3 a long time ago, the rest(metroidvania games) seemed easy. Castlevania 2 is just frustrating more than hard. I have heard of this Castlevania Adventure, but never played it. I only ever owned a few Game Boy games at a time.

I remember hearing about Castlevania: The Adventure years ago, when I first discovered game sites on the internet(around the late 90's). One of the first things I did was read about a bunch of games I had never played. It was hard getting on the internet though, since I could only do it at my uncle's house when I got the chance to go there. I also read game magazines in the Wal-mart when I got to go along. These things were the only ways I could get any information about games. That is how I first found out about Castlevania: Circle of the Moon being released along with the Gameboy Advance. At the time I though that was the coolest sounding game, but it took 2 years until I could get a used one.

I had the Wave Racegame for the Game Boy, except I played it with no color. I am not sure how I got it, I think it was from my grandfather or aunt. At the time, since I never had a Game Boy before that, I actually liked playing it. The idea of something portable was novel to me. I also got Pokemon Red by accident, which was something else to play. I had no idea what Pokemon was at the time, but I got to playing it a lot. And I got to rent and play the Zelda game for the Game Boy. A kid I knew lent me Super Mario Land for a while. Other than those, I got Pokemon Gold. I had a used GBA with the Castlevania games(the Double Pack cartridge), Fire Emblem, and one of the Pokemon games. That was pretty much it. I never had a DS at all until that 3DS came out, and even then I have only bought 6 games since I got it. I am not really experienced with any of the handhelds like many people are.
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:34 am

^ Never had a DS? It's probably one of the best systems ever made, IMO. What 6 games do you have for it?

Return to “Retro Games”