If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

How long does retro go?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:19 am

I've never really changed my stance on what is retro even as the years go by. NES and SNES and Sega games from that era. I could see maybe lumping N64/PS1 into the category, though. The point about PC games contributing to a cut off seems like a fair one.

I'm not sure the last time I saw a pay phone, and it has to be 20 years since I actually last used one. 1.5 billion more people have access to cell phones than toilets. If pushed to decide, a lot of people who have both would probably choose phones. If you ever have a problem, someone will probably let you borrow one, unless the problem is lack of service in the area, but businesses still generally use landlines that they will probably let you use. Unless they are jerks. I remember once I was running through the rain after my car had broken down, and the gas station refused to let me use a phone.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:15 am

It depends on when new technology creates changes in how games are made to such an extent that new genres and methods of design displace the old ones, so to be considered 'current' a game would then have to pursue those new trends. This could happen again but so far it's only happened a few times.[DOUBLEPOST=1451636073,1451635859][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="The Man in a Red Suit, post: 1579538, member: 35827"]I would say having a cell phone in your pocket is more likely than having quarters on hand at this point. I haven't actually seen a pay phone in a long time.[/QUOTE]
Well they're easy to find anywhere like an airport or travel hub.[DOUBLEPOST=1451636128][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="The Man in a Red Suit, post: 1579538, member: 35827"]I would say having a cell phone in your pocket is more likely than having quarters on hand at this point. I haven't actually seen a pay phone in a long time.[/QUOTE]
The new ones accept bills and cards.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm

[QUOTE="The Man in a Red Suit, post: 1579538, member: 35827"]I would say having a cell phone in your pocket is more likely than having quarters on hand at this point. I haven't actually seen a pay phone in a long time.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that every city or town is legally required to have at least one pay phone. For emergencies I guess. Smartphones are cool until they die in 30 minutes from 100% to 5%. Heh.

It's funny though. When I DO see someone on a pay phone I automatically think something sketchy is going on.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:54 am

I normally would say 2 systems back, but they're putting Wii games on the VC. ._. I'd still say the N64 is retro by this point, or will be as soon as they can make Retrons for it. :P
What's the matter, scared?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

I used to be adamantly opposed to counting GC/PS2/Xbox as "retro" because they still feel so recent, but I think I'm starting to consider them that way now. You can't find the games in a lot of stores anymore, the consoles have matte rather than sleek finishes (I don't know why but this dates them somehow? Like, console finishing texture aesthetics have changed or something and it kind of marks a change in era), idk. I'm warming up to the idea.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 pm

^Scale and budget have changed how games are made since then and for which audiences. I think it's fair to say that GCN Nintendo isn't especially different from current, but 3rd party has shifted to broader sandbox genres with an emphasis on context-relative systems which were not really possible before, such as the climbing and parkour elements of Asscreed.

Nintendo has stopped really experimenting with things like camera mechanics, and taken a more function before form stance where simplicity is emphasized, and 'gameyness' is celebrated or better accepted.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:05 pm

I can't count PS2 as retro just yet. It still had games up until a few years ago and was sold in stores. Dreamcast is a different situation, a bit older and didn't stick around as long.

Membou

Post by Membou » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:18 am

I agree that generally retro is going to be a relative term. I think the question should be "what does retro mean to you?", and that's where you'd see a lot of interesting responses. Right now, I feel like the PS2 is just on the edge of retro, and will probably be the case once VR starts becoming a larger force in the industry. There was such a huge jump between PSX and PS2 level graphics, though.

TEDDY!

Post by TEDDY! » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:59 am

I looked up the definition, what is a retro game, expecting to get a logical answer immediately and to tell everyone that google is a thing we should use. I was wrong. There is no simple answer :frown: .
My two cents in this topic is similar to everyone else's. Its opinionated, and will be relative to each person.
In my opinion, retro games are games that use outdated engines. And I'm perfectly ok labeling new games being released right now as retro because there are a lot of Indie developers and well known companies making games with retro-esc engines on purpose.

Johnthehunter

Post by Johnthehunter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:52 am

Pay Phones :D it was very very ooold times, it is a retro thing now and you can find it only in museums i think :) ) it was great thing :)

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 am

There's still some here. I doubt phone booths exist much now though.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 am

the only pay phone i know about anywhere close to here is at a tiny gas station out in the middle of nowhere that looks like a great place to film a horror movie

Daos

Post by Daos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I would say the N64, PS1, era counts as retro now.

Tombay

Post by Tombay » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 am

As of now for me the retro is PSX but not anything after. But I think in 2-3 years, ps2 could be considered as retro too. However, I think that the graphics, the design and technologies after PSX could not be called retro at all. I mean that the era of consoles before 2000s differed in the approach of the game dev at all.

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 pm

I know everyone's already agreed that it's a subjective thing, but to drive the point home:
1. Me being slightly younger than the average VGFer, I read through this thread and my first thought was, "Do I consider the GameCube to be retro?" The answer was "Not yet, but very soon."
2. I asked my dad what he considered retro video games. He started listing arcade games.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, I hate to be overly nit-picky about this (*joking, obviously--------------there is nothing boo loves more nit-picking, as long as its him doing it*), but clearly 'retro' is not a mere matter of chronology or software generations. Because whenever a modern game is billed as 'retro' or 'retro-style', that never means 'two gens old'. I certainly don't think of 'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' as retro.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:28 pm

yeah this is what i was thinking about and it's why i don't consider the n64 a "retro" console per se: the term "retro" as it's often used reflects two or three generations of consoles with a lot of fan overlap.

like it's not uncommon to see someone who likes the nes, snes, and genesis all at once, but that group of people tends to have divisive opinions over the 3d leap generation consoles like n64 or psx.

it's treated more as a "golden age, silver age" type of divider than anything to do with age.

Return to “Retro Games”