Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Post Reply
User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#1

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

and it's not going to be all that great.


The first half is going to be X1 through X4 which is great, but the second half... is X5 through X8. Meaning it's completely redundant save for X8 maybe. X5 is a huge disappointment, X6 is trash, and X7 is even worse.

So yeah, get the first collection if you haven't played these games yet, but don't bother with the second one.

User avatar
X-3
Moderator
Posts: 23273
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 am
Location: noiɈɒɔo⅃
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#2

Post by X-3 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Not sure why they didn't just fit this into one package. The audience that cares about Mega Man isn't going to be so eager to buy Collection 2.

User avatar
DarkZero
Supporter
Posts: 32876
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: CORN HELL
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#3

Post by DarkZero » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm

hey, X5 is decent!

anyway yeah i think they announced this back when mega man 11 was announced but they didn't mention it being two different collections. i guess it makes sense, it could be difficult to put 3 snes games, 3 psx games, 2 ps2 games, and all the bonus content on one switch cartridge. i'm hoping it's not terribly expensive to get both at once. i am actually interested in giving X7 a fair shot instead of renting it for a weekend at blockbuster 10 years ago.

also the snes filter does not look good, so really glad that's optional.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#4

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm

DarkZero wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm
hey, X5 is decent!

anyway yeah i think they announced this back when mega man 11 was announced but they didn't mention it being two different collections. i guess it makes sense, it could be difficult to put 3 snes games, 3 psx games, 2 ps2 games, and all the bonus content on one switch cartridge. i'm hoping it's not terribly expensive to get both at once. i am actually interested in giving X7 a fair shot instead of renting it for a weekend at blockbuster 10 years ago.

also the snes filter does not look good, so really glad that's optional.
X5 could be amazing if Alia wasn't a thing, but as it stands it's just a big disappointment imo.

Also, if Wikipedia is anything to go by, the max cartridge size is 32gb.

The 3 SNES games take up 2MB each, the 3 PS1 games take up 400-600MB each which ends up at a little over a giga byte, and the 2 PS2 games take up around 2GB each. There is more than enough space for these to all be on one cart.

User avatar
Booyakasha
Supermod
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:00 am
Location: Wisconsinland
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#5

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm

There's room enough for the first six on one DVD. I know, because I've got the 'Mega Man X Collection' on PS2.

If you have a PS2, you should just buy that instead. Seems to be dirt cheap (fourteen bucks new at Amazon).
boo----------------the furious little monkey

User avatar
X-3
Moderator
Posts: 23273
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 am
Location: noiɈɒɔo⅃
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#6

Post by X-3 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

X4 was too easy so they put a sadist in charge of X5's mechanics and X6's level design.

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#7

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:57 pm
There's room enough for the first six on one DVD. I know, because I've got the 'Mega Man X Collection' on PS2.

If you have a PS2, you should just buy that instead. Seems to be dirt cheap (fourteen bucks new at Amazon).
I haven't actually played that collection so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard there were issues regarding input lag, specifically in the PSX games.

And I'd suggest playing X5 with its mass overhaul patch instead of through a collection, it fixes and removes a ton of the stupid **** Capcom thought would improve the game (that mostly means alia is gone, but there are a few other quality of life enhancements too). It makes for a much smoother and more enjoyable experience over all.

User avatar
Booyakasha
Supermod
Posts: 18046
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2000 2:00 am
Location: Wisconsinland
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#8

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

If there was lag, I didn't notice it.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#9

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm
If there was lag, I didn't notice it.
Apparently it's only really noticeable in the speeder bike sections, but those were already cheap garbage so it doesn't really change anything I guess.

User avatar
New! Tazy Ten
Posts: 29033
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Just recently escaped Limbo
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#10

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

How are they even going to market the second one?

Also, I'm wondering what they mean by "X Challenge". Are they... combining bosses and making a big compilation game or something?

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#11

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 pm

The Amazing Tazy Ten wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm
How are they even going to market the second one?

Also, I'm wondering what they mean by "X Challenge". Are they... combining bosses and making a big compilation game or something?
They'll probably just focus on X8, the good bits from X5, and the bonus stuff.

As for the X Challenge, I imagine it'll be a lot like challenge mode from the Classic collection with more variety in the things you do.

Best case scenario, X5, X6, and X7 get major design overhauls that make them each fun and enjoyable experiences. I know for a fact they won't go through the trouble of doing that, but it would more than make up for its apparent short comings.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#12

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 am

If I recall correctly, only the first 3 from MMX are good (first was great), the rest were still okay but pale very much in comparison. I only played up to X6 though.

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#13

Post by Artemis008 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 am
If I recall correctly, only the first 3 from MMX are good (first was great), the rest were still okay but pale very much in comparison. I only played up to X6 though.
Ehh, I thought 3 was a bit rough but 4 was fantastic.

User avatar
DarkZero
Supporter
Posts: 32876
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: CORN HELL
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#14

Post by DarkZero » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 pm

so apparently the physical version on switch has collection 1 on cartridge and collection 2 is a download code
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#15

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 am

DarkZero wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 pm
so apparently the physical version on switch has collection 1 on cartridge and collection 2 is a download code
Yeah, the Classic collection was the same way.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#16

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:34 am

I don't really understand because they out 7 games on a PS2 disc way back, why is capacity so low in 2018?

User avatar
DarkZero
Supporter
Posts: 32876
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: CORN HELL
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#17

Post by DarkZero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 am

maybe it's intentional, like they figure that dividing it up into two packages will increase the overall sales

or maybe it's just a bad business decision. capcom has a tendency to do those.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

User avatar
Artemis008
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#18

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 am

DarkZero wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 am
maybe it's intentional, like they figure that dividing it up into two packages will increase the overall sales

or maybe it's just a bad business decision. capcom has a tendency to do those.
Even though the second collection is arguably completely worthless?

User avatar
DarkZero
Supporter
Posts: 32876
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm
Location: CORN HELL
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#19

Post by DarkZero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm

i was thinking more like: in the digital space, more people would pay a cheaper price for the first 4 MMX games than a higher price for all 8, since 1-4 are what most people would want to play anyway. the second collection is there for people who want a complete collection.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Capcom's doing a Mega Man X Collection

#20

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

That's devious but it makes sense.

Post Reply

Return to “Retro Games”