If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Can you recommend any classic games I haven't played yet?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Artemis008

Can you recommend any classic games I haven't played yet?

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm

I've been going through a retro gaming spree, playing anything I can get my hands on as well as any improvement hacks I can get my hands on, but I'm running out of things to play and I need recommendations.
I have played

GENESIS
Spoiler.
Battle Mania Daiginjou
Chaotix
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Megaman the Wily Wars
Ristar
Sonic 1+2 Delta
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 2 Retro Remix
Sonic 3
Thunder Force IV
Wonder boy in monster World
MSX
Metal gear

Nintendo DS (has to be playable with minimal touch screen usage)
Spoiler.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (no touch screen hack)
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Mario Kart DS
Megaman Zero collection
Megaman ZX
Pokemon Heart gold
Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon White 2
NES
Spoiler.
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Castlevania III
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Gimmick!
Maniac Mansion (uncensored prototype)
Megaman
Megaman 2
Roll Chan 3 (It's just MM3 with roll)
Megaman 4 Minus Infinity
Megaman 5
Megaman 6
Metroid Mother
Mother
Super Mario All Stars (NES homebrew)
Super Mario 3mix
Sweet Home
Battle Of Olympus SRAM saving edition
Zelda II
PC Engine
Castlevania Rondo of Blood

PlayStation
Spoiler.
Castlevania Symphony of the night
Chrono trigger
Clock Tower
Crash Bandicoot Collection + Sorry the dragon
Dead or Alive
Megaman 8
Tales of Phantasia
The King of Fighters 99
Sega CD
Spoiler.
Final Fight CD
Snatcher
Sonic CD++
Sonic Megamix
Soul Star
SNES
Spoiler.
A super Mario World Central production
Arcana
Castlevania Dracula X
Donkey Kong Country
FZero
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War
Kirby Super Star
Megaman & Bass
Megaman 7
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X3 Zero Project
Mother 2
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Radical dreamers
Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana 2
Super bomberman 4
Super Castlevania 4
Super Mario Omega
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2
Super Metroid
Smash TV
Street Fighter II the new challengers
Tetris and Dr Mario
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past
Zelda BS Densetsu (a remake of the first original)
FDS
Castlevania
Mario 2

GBA
Spoiler.
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Metal Slug Advance
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero
Mother 3
Pokemon
Pokemon Theta Emerald Ex
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Mario Advance 4
GBC
Spoiler.
Pokemon
Pokemon Generation 2
Seiken Densetsu
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages
What have I not played yet?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: Can you recommend any classic games I haven't played yet?

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:15 pm

The Oddworld games are pretty keen.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 am

Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG are two excellent SNES RPGs. Also, Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 am

I'll recommend one from EACH!

Genesis: Give Streets of Rage 2 a try. If you really like it you can look at Streets of Rage 1 and 3 but 2 is said to be the best. If you don't like playing a sequel first than start with the first one, but that's up to you.

MSX: Play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and enjoy being slowly cooked by grenades by a guy wearing green.

DS: ...Pokemon White/Black 1? I mean you played all the other ones and there are differences with White/Black 2. Speaking of, I have to go find White/Black 2 for myself.

NES: Gonna assume you want something that isn't going to make you hate being alive, so I'll recommend Startropics. It's a top down dungeon crawler but with a yo-yo. I... think there's some copy protection in it but I can't remember so you'll have to look that one up. If you don't want to, try Power Blade and throw boomerangs at machines instead.

PC Engine: Last Alert. Play it. Love it.

Playstation: ...Sorry the Dragon? :crackup: ...Alright, seriously. I recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because what's better than Jotaro beating up an old man controlling a large bug on a plane? Nothing.

Sega CD: ...Almost wanna say that's all the good Sega CD games... OKAY OKAY. Try Snatcher. It's more adventure oriented and it's pretty bloody but it's slim pickings on the Sega CD YOU GET WHAT YOU ASKED FOR.

FDS: ...Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa? ...If you don't feel like being a big baby look up Famicom Detective Club and hope there's a translation somewhere because you're not learning Japanese with this s**t.

GBA: Did you skip Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance? Well... that just won't do. Go back, play Harmony of Dissonance and arrange the furniture in your room like a good Belmont. It's just Juste Belmont after all.

GBC: I'll give you two choices. Either play Super Mario Land and start on the path to Wario, or play Magi Nation and enjoy a dead franchise. Hardy har har.

Have fun!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 am

I back all of Val's recommendations with enthusiasm.

It also looks like you should go play the NES Ninja Gaiden games. Venture into some Beat-'Em-Ups, too--Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV is one of my favorite SNES games. And surprisingly, I'd also recommend Goof Troop for SNES, especially if you have someone you can co-op with.

Your GameBoy library is a little lacking. Kirby's Dream Land 2, Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario land 2...for starters. If you only play one of those, btw, make it Wario Land 2. That game is amazing.

Finally, I'll recommend/require that you play DrillDozer for the GBA. Game is amazing and severely overlooked.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am

The Amazing Tazy Ten wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 am
I'll recommend one from EACH!

Genesis: Give Streets of Rage 2 a try. If you really like it you can look at Streets of Rage 1 and 3 but 2 is said to be the best. If you don't like playing a sequel first than start with the first one, but that's up to you.

MSX: Play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and enjoy being slowly cooked by grenades by a guy wearing green.

DS: ...Pokemon White/Black 1? I mean you played all the other ones and there are differences with White/Black 2. Speaking of, I have to go find White/Black 2 for myself.

NES: Gonna assume you want something that isn't going to make you hate being alive, so I'll recommend Startropics. It's a top down dungeon crawler but with a yo-yo. I... think there's some copy protection in it but I can't remember so you'll have to look that one up. If you don't want to, try Power Blade and throw boomerangs at machines instead.

PC Engine: Last Alert. Play it. Love it.

Playstation: ...Sorry the Dragon? :crackup: ...Alright, seriously. I recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because what's better than Jotaro beating up an old man controlling a large bug on a plane? Nothing.

Sega CD: ...Almost wanna say that's all the good Sega CD games... OKAY OKAY. Try Snatcher. It's more adventure oriented and it's pretty bloody but it's slim pickings on the Sega CD YOU GET WHAT YOU ASKED FOR.

FDS: ...Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa? ...If you don't feel like being a big baby look up Famicom Detective Club and hope there's a translation somewhere because you're not learning Japanese with this s**t.

GBA: Did you skip Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance? Well... that just won't do. Go back, play Harmony of Dissonance and arrange the furniture in your room like a good Belmont. It's just Juste Belmont after all.

GBC: I'll give you two choices. Either play Super Mario Land and start on the path to Wario, or play Magi Nation and enjoy a dead franchise. Hardy har har.

Have fun!
I'll give Streets of Rage 2, Metal Gear 2, Last Alert, Star Tropics, Powerblade, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Famicom Detective Club and Magi Nation. I didn't bother with Black and White 1 because I'm using a catch em all hack, so it's kind of redundant. Plus, I played it on my 3ds when I was really young. Sorry the dragon..... god dammit auto correct. I already said Snatcher. I was told harmony of dissonance was the weakest of the GBA castlevania games which I wasn't really into to begin with.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:10 am

Any of the Wario Land games are good. Wario Land 4 is one of my favorites of the GBA library.

For NES I'd definitely recommend Ufouria: The Saga. Very fun Metroidvania type of game with cute characters and sick Sunsoft music. Metal Storm is also a cool hidden gem for the system, but very very challenging; think Mega Man meets VVVVVV.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm

SNES: Super Mario RPG. Demon's Crest is also pretty good.

GBA: The Mega Man Battle Network series is worth a look into. Mario and Luigi is considered one of the best Mario RPGs.

DS: Kirby Superstar Ultra is one of the best in the series and I don't think it has any required touchscreen usage. (edit: though it's a remake of Superstar so :shrug:) Bowser's Inside Story is really good but has a lot of touchscreen/microphone stuff.

PSX: Definitely need to play FFVII and Mega Man X4. You should also consider games like Metal Gear Solid, the Resident Evil series, Soul Reaver, Final Fantasy Tactics and Suidoken II.

N64: is n64 emulation still bad

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 pm

X-3 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm
N64: is n64 emulation still bad
On Retropie it is. The only game I was ever able to get working was Mario 64, and it still had a lot of graphical glitches.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 pm

I noticed you haven't listed Final Fantasy games for the PS1. Seeing as you've already done I-VI, I could recommend VI and VII. Mostly for the sake of a more complete list.

Dux is not you

Post by Dux is not you » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 am

PSX: Tomba

SNES: Also backing Goof Troop and the Donkey Kong Country games, especially DKC2.

GBC: Shantae

DS: Also, I'm not seeing the Ace Attorney games anywhere on that list.

Return to “Retro Games”