If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Retro games with hacks / retro homebrews thread

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Artemis008

Retro games with hacks / retro homebrews thread

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:39 am

Over the last year and a half I have worked toward creating the "ultimate retro gaming experience". For the most part it's just been me taking old games and modding the **** out of them until I get the "definitive" experience. Seriously, some of these games I just can't stand to play vanilla anymore. Some of my favorites are

Mario All Stars NES; it's a compilation of Mario 1, 2, 3, and LL in one NES rom. The best part? It's got SRAM! That means I can quit the game at any time and pick it up later, right where I left off. It's between level saving too, which is just icing on the cake at this point. Definitely check this one out.

Super Mario World Deluxe Remix; oh my god this is a dream come true. It's Mario World with a complete graphical and musical overhaul. God the sound track is amazing. Take a moment to listen to this wonderful ost.
[MEDIA=youtube]zGc1mIrFSns[/MEDIA]
Skip to 11:08 for an utter eargasm.

Discuss you favorite rom hacks/homebrews, it doesn't have to be an improvement hack like the above.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 am

I am interested in Romhacks as I've been modding games since I got my first proper PC in 94 (and fantasizing about doing so since before that), but it's only an occasional one that comes along and does a really great job and does the game source justice.

Anyway, pics are down because photobucket but there's this thing I've put some work into:

http://vgf.com/forums/threads/ocarina-o ... -me.97898/

I have done a lot more work than was documented in the thread, mind, but I'll detail that when I'm ready to properly. Here's one of the last texture-improvement screens that was in the thread, which probably best illustrates both the content I've built and the type of errors from the community hires pack such as the missing guttering or incorrect lighting methods that I've addressed:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Artemis008

Re: Retro games with hacks / retro homebrews thread

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:26 am

I found this small yet awesome hack for Megaman X5 on rhdn, it gets rid of Alia's interruptions, makes it so you get both the z buster and 4th armour no matter who you choose in the intro stage, and makes it so health containers effect both X and zero. I haven't played vanilla Megaman X5, this is what I've been waiting for.

Return to “Retro Games”