If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

What retro game shocked you the most with its content when you were a kid?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

SciFyDi

What retro game shocked you the most with its content when you were a kid?

Post by SciFyDi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Kind of an odd question but what game shocked you the most when you were a kid? Something along the lines of graphic violence, strong language, nudity. Things you wouldn't expect from a game.
I was thinking back to accidentally playing the Atari classic Beat em and Eat em!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 pm

The DK Rap had the word Hell in it :O
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am

Well, probably Duke Nukem 3D's strippers were a huge deal since it came out when I was 13. But you know, I was pretty blown away by Rampage as a kid, which let you play as a giant monster who destroys cities and eats people. One of the first games I ever played, too, which obviously made a big impact on me.

As far as games that were just outright unsettling, I think Splatterhouse was definitely out before I was ready for that content. It looks pretty tame to adult me, but as a kid when I saw it at a friend's house, it was just about the most nightmarish thing I could imagine.

I always laughed at Marian getting suckerpunched in the cutscene intro to Double Dragon. She stands there so patiently and then the gang just is like 'yoink' and walks off with her unconscious. Something about it and Billy Lee coming out of the garage immediately afterward to take his time fist-murdering thousands of guys to death on the way to their hideout seems pretty unnecessary when they've probably got her 10 seconds down the road at most.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:16 am

When I was eight or so, a friend loaned me his copy of 'Friday the 13th' (NES), and reading the manual made me too scared to actually play the game.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 pm

I've never been particularly shocked by anything, but I remember all the people acting outraged about games like Mortal Kombat. If only they could see what modern MK looks like.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 pm

I think there was something in Nes Maniac Mansion that was questionable. I don't really remember what it was. I just remember hearing about it. I recently replayed it and didn't notice anything. I never thought Mortal Combat was bad and never understood the rating it got. The most shocking game I ever played was in more recent times and that was South Park the Stick of Truth. After GTA I figured games couldn't get any worse but I was wrong. I know it was banned in several countries but it left me boggled as to how some of the content was able to be left in. If you've ever played it you know what I'm talking about lol. Still a fun game though.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 pm

[QUOTE="SciFyDi, post: 1639871, member: 40519"]I think there was something in Nes Maniac Mansion that was questionable. I don't really remember what it was. I just remember hearing about it.[/QUOTE]
you're probably thinking about the "hamster in the microwave" thing, there was a bit of a controversy over that
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 pm

You know I remember the hamster but I could swear there was something else. I'm probably going to google it.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Was there some bathroom voyeurism in that game?

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 pm

^...no?

^^they also infamously censored a lot of the content from the original when porting it to the nes. there's a fairly popular article where one of the developers talks about it called "the expurgation of maniac mansion".
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 pm

I only played it once on a rental. Probably not remembering right.

SciFyDi

Post by SciFyDi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 pm

[QUOTE="DarkZero, post: 1639882, member: 34654"]^...no?

^^they also infamously censored a lot of the content from the original when porting it to the nes. there's a fairly popular article where one of the developers talks about it called "the expurgation of maniac mansion".[/QUOTE]
I pretty sure it was the Playboy calendar. I was remembering it being nude because as a kid I knew that there was an uncensored version. That's probably why I got confused. I would never ever nuke the hamster and even now I probably couldn't do it lol.

Return to “Retro Games”