If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

VGF Four Job Fiesta

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Man, I've been having a lot of fun with this. It's really made me remember what a great game FFV is. And I've spent half of my weekend playing this game. "Hey, you want to try out this new Zelda game that critics are calling one of the best games of all time?" "Nah, I'm good." "How about a new Metroid game like you've been wanting for years?" "Eh, maybe, maybe not." "What about this old RPG that you've already played through multiple times?" "HELL YEAH BRAH SIGN ME UP"

Depending on whether or not I'm sick of this by the end, I might consider doing a second run. I'd love to check out some of the other jobs.

[img]i.imgur.com/SmAE7ur.png[/img]

Gilgamesh 3.0 wasn't any trouble. Thankfully, Enkidu only cast White Wind once, so I had no trouble killing them both. Also, Drain spellblade is amazing.

[img]i.imgur.com/ZYF29XB.png[/img]

The Barrier Tower has some scary chest battles. This guy KO'ed half of my party with Atomic Ray and left the other half near death, but I somehow managed to make it back from the brink.

[img]i.imgur.com/F5m2yFE.png[/img]

For this fight I chose Faris as my sacrifice, since as the White Mage she's the worst at dealing damage. Everyone else took turns hitting Atomos with everything they had. Apparently Atomos is not resistant to the sleep status, so the Sleep spellblade came in handy.

[img]i.imgur.com/EnCl1au.png[/img]

...Apparently I'm not ready to handle situations where 3/4 of my party has been turned into zombies. I think this is the first time I've had to flee a battle.

Also, imagine my consternation upon learning that inns don't heal zombification. What, a good night's sleep can heal death but not undeath? :rant:

[img]i.imgur.com/eDjBU7G.png[/img]

For the Crystals I made sure everyone was Protected and Shelled, and then just used physical attacks. I experimented with having Butz berserked, but it didn't make much of a difference.

[img]i.imgur.com/rgmPhWF.png[/img]

R.I.P. Galuf. Say hi to Tellah and General Leo for me.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. White Mage 2. Red Mage 3. Bard 4. ???
Val - 1. White Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Beastmaster 4. Chemist
Kat - 1. Blue Mage 2. Berzerker 3. Beastmaster 4. ???
M_K - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Ninja 4. Dragoon
Scotty - 1. Monk 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:14 am

Man, last time I only beat the Crystals by abusing Gil Toss. Wonder how I'm gonna do that now...

The only update I have right now is that anytime an enemy uses Aqua Rake, I get Aqua Rekt.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:28 am

Holy moly this train flew out of the station fast. I still need to get on this. I'll be playing my GBA version.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:10 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1639485, member: 23215"]Man, last time I only beat the Crystals by abusing Gil Toss. Wonder how I'm gonna do that now...[/QUOTE]
Have you Drawn your Earth Job yet? This is still POSSIBLE... :smile:

I grinded at Istory Falls and decided to attack Leviathan for a lark. Tidal Wave worried me for a few moments (knocked me around Critical HP), but fortunately it only did it once. :sweatdrop2:

And for this part, I call it: the Bosses of the Rift (Minus the Supers, of course <_<).
As you can see, Fistie managed to Old Bartz, but other than that, nothing special happened. It countered some attacks with drain, but that's LAUGHABLE. :rotfl:
Managed to evade Omega. And no, I WON'T fight it "Just to see what happens". ):<
Yeah. Took GREAT advantage of its Fire Weakness, but a Jumping Krile finished it off. If you get killed by a dragoon of all things, you SHOULD be extinct. :indifferent:
This ******* managed to old my entire party around the first quarter of the fight (B, K, and F were Level 42, L got Time Slip'd)! It made the Last Half a SLOG. Worse, B and K got ???'d too! This was one hell of an annoying fight. :grumpy2:
Pictured = What Catastrophe did THE ENTIRE FIGHT. A nice breather considering the Azulmagia fight. :rotfl:
This one Froggied my party with his first move. Other than that, it did nothing special or threatening. E Z P Z :bouncy:

I'm DREADING the next fight. I need to hope I can kill it fast enough or Assassin's Dagger pulls through for me... :pray:

Edit = OH! New page, so Update!

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Faris has mastered White Mage and Galuf Krile has mastered Beastmaster, so they're gonna swap jobs. I'm starting to get an idea of what I want my party to look like by the end of the game. My Mystic Knight should have the Chemist's Drink command, since most drinkable potions boost stats, and the Knight is my main damage dealer. Conversely, my Chemist should have the Spellblade command since s/he's my secondary damage dealer. My Beastmaster should have mastery of White Magic. I'm not quite sure what I want my White Mage's extra ability to be though. Maybe Control?

Anyway, let's go kick Exdeath's shiny metal ass.

Dragons are rough. This guy (actually, it's hard to tell, but it's actually THREE DRAGONS stacked on top of each other) probably would've wiped out my entire party if Butz's shield didn't absorb most of the attacks.

Gilgamesh 4.0 was annoying because he kept hitting everyone with status effects, but he never managed to kill anybody.

I think I've decided I want my White Mage's extra ability to be Recover. That'll make dealing with status effects much easier.

Exdeath really kept me on my toes. His attacks hit like a truck, he kept using Dispel to remove my defensive buffs, and occasionally he'd cast Condemn on someone. Most of my party was vulnerable to Level 3 Flare too. Easily the longest and most arduous fight in the game to this point.

Phew. Made it to the last third of the game.

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:31 pm

I wiped on Archaeoavis. Couldn't heal efficiently enough after the full-party Maelstrom in round 2. Maybe I should turn my game speed down...but where's the fun in that.
Carthago delendum est

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:35 pm

edit: sorry, forgot to resize my pictures in this post

I had to fly back down to Bartz's home town inn twice in the air ship raid, but I got through it. Damage dealing is a serious problem for me right now, and it's a problem that will only get worse as my Red Mages become more and more useless.

Hm, this boss shouldn't be too bad, just gotta break a few rods and

hmm

Yeah, Archeoaevis owned me twice. As soon as he went into his revived phase, the only thing I could use to damage him was Physical Damage...so really what that meant was trying to keep Faris healthy enough (and un-stunned AND un-confused) to deal her 250 when she could. Galuf mostly acted as bait, as I could let him be stunned with little consequence. He was only dealing 120 anyway, so if he got stunned it just allowed Faris to get a better hit in.

Either way, I finally got through.

Definitely the hardest challenge of the run for me so far. But BOY OH BOY I EXPECT THERE TO BE HARDER CHALLENGES TO COME, BECAUSE CHECK IT OUT

I act disappointed and everything, but I actually can't wait to play with these four jobs. I never would have picked this set to run through an FF game, ever. So the FJF is really taking me out of my comfort zone and giving me a real challenge.

Time to figure out what Dancers can do.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. White Mage 2. Red Mage 3. Bard 4. Dancer
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Good luck, man. I feel you're gonna need it.

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1639529, member: 30663"]Good luck, man. I feel you're gonna need it.[/QUOTE]
It may take some patience, but I think Marilink's got this. That WM is MUCH better than the Thief I had. (b^.^)b

This bad boy apparently doesn't take kindly to Quickened Meteors. Countered with Mega Flare TWICE and Wasted my party. TPK count = 2 :ouch:
Second Time Around = I learned that this jerk LOVES to counter Physicals with Tidal Wave and Magic with Mega Flare (50% chance each, is my guess). Yeeeesh. This guy is exactly the kind of guy I fear. :crying3:
Also Learned that it's weak to Holy, and left the Murdering to Bartz and Krile, who had Holy Weapons. Gave the Healing duty to Faris, where I equipped the Healing Staff and used Quick to heal effectively. I had to Balance Murdering with Holy weapons with Healing Staff and Items. Thankfully, I hit it so hard, I never seen it Charge Giga Flare, which was what I feared from the beginning...
In Retrospect, I could've bought a few more Coral Rings and go all out, never worrying about the Tidal Wave Counter. :banghead:
Oh, and Gilgamesh was in the crystal world. Took his shield before he left. Thank you good sir. :smile: 7
Eh. This guy wasn't too bad. I just needed to eliminate as many Barriers as quickly as I can so their reflected magic doesn't kill anyone. Managed to off 2 of them before they started reflecting Flare. After that, Necrophobe only got off one attack on my group before the battle ended. Oh, and I stole some nice armor off Gilgamesh before he sacrificed himself. Thank you good sir. :smile: 7
Oh, and after one grind and buying session later:
Yeah...... F*** THIS GUY. Omega Reset Counter = 1. Thankfully, that's the only one.

On my final push. Hopefully, blind and brutal offense can win the day. :crazy:

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Time Mage Krile is just adorable.
Carthago delendum est

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27 am

Long story short = Brute force won out, but not without Quick abuse.

The Long Story =
Treepot wasn't too bad. KO'd Krile Twice (Flare and White Hole), but that's about the extent of the dangerous stuff it did... or the stuff I let it do. Tossed a LOT of space rocks its way... and swung my Holy Machete around a few times.
And then...
Image (FYI = the resize and the Color Splotches were intentionally done by me)
Neo Exdeath always puts a shiver down my spine, no matter how prepared I think I am for it. There's always this feeling that when I'm so close, then WHAM! Some bulls*** happens and that's 12-35 minutes LOST.
[spoiler=In case you want to learn Neo yourself]There's an order I like to do things in:
Turquoise Splotch part first. That's the Grand Cross guy. No matter what, I want to take that part OUT first. Ailments, as I said before, are my major bane.
Red Splotch next; that's the Almagest guy. AoEs are also a scare point for me, and Sap makes it worse.
Brown Splotch 3rd, but only because it's back row.
Lime Green guy last, but no matter the order the last guys are ALWAYS DANGEROUS, since they inherit Meteor, Almagest, and Grand Cross AND attacks Twice.[/spoiler]
Basic Strategy =
Bartz(Knight) = Always Attacking. Heals only when he absolutely has to.
Lenna(Ninja) = Fuma Girl. Quick + Fuma whenever she can. Sometimes Heals. (and by heal, I mean Elixir)
Krile(T. Mage) = Scrolls. Is Designated healer, so only uses Quick when healing. Meteors during the one man finale.
Faris(Dragoon) = Quick + Jump. Emergency Healer, definitely when Krile is Down.

This Battle went smoother than I imagined. Stopped Grand Cross in its tracks before it did any Major damaging effects. :raindance:
Almagest was only cast once, as was Meteor, thank goodness. :sweatdrop2:
Exdeath battles Death count: Krile = 4; Bartz = 2; Lenna = 2 Most of these were from The front of Neo smacking people around. :grumpy:
Thank Goodness for Quick. Who knows what I needed to do if I didn't have Time Mage... :blush:

And that's the end of Treepot. Hopefully forever. Probably until the next spinoff Final Fantasy game.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 am

Nice work M_K! Be sure to tweet out your victory to Gilgabot. (Instructions on the site)
Carthago delendum est

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:01 pm

^Already done. And I got a nice star too. :)

A Knight to protect, a way to Berserk... I think I can take on this guy:
I'm glad my Hermes Sandals Time Mage outran Shinryu. I don' t have to deal with Tidal Wave and it makes it easy to Bonk Shin on the head with my Power Staff. :hammer:
Once Berserked, Shinryu is MUCH easier to deal with. Sure, it's obscene physical power would kill anyone it touches, but any Hastened ally can handle any such a problem.
The original plan was to have Bartz Cover-Guard the Ladies, who would be put to Critical HP... but with Quick Fuma Tossing and Dragon Lance powered Quick Jumping making short work of Shinryu, it made THAT plan a waste of time. Whatever works, I guess. :indifferent:
Sensing a Theme here? Time Magic = OBSCENE!
Pictured = Dragoon ACTUALLY being useful! :eek:

And that is a DEFINITE end of my Fiesta Run. I'm pretty sure I can't take on Omega. Ah well.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

The Antlion was an easy fight. Butz used the Drain spellblade, so Krile was able to focus on healing herself when needed.

These two weren't much of a problem apart from the fact that you need to kill them both at the same time, or else one will instantly revive the other. This posed a problem for me, as I have no spread attacks whatsoever. To my relief I eventually discovered that if I whittle both of their health down to where they can each be killed with a single attack and then kill them both, one immediately after the other, they won't have enough time to revive.

Melusine was tricky. Most of the time she shrugged off all physical attacks, and the only magic attacks I could utilize were Spellblades. But I had to keep changing which Spellblade I had active due to her repeatedly shifting her elemental defenses.

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Gonna take a hiatus for a little bit, the move to DC has started. Gives Scotty some time to catch up, I guess

^Man, where'd the fan translators get "Merugene" from Melusine? I know the r/l confusion is common, but s/g?
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm

The Japanese translation of "melusine" is meryujiinu. The "s" in "melusine" is pronounced with a "z" sound, so ideally it should be more like meryuziinu. But one of those quirks of the Japanese language is that there isn't precisely a "zi" syllable. There is "za", "zu", "ze" and "zo", but the syllable that would be "zi" is instead pronounced more like "ji". So "melusine" becomes meryujiinu. "Merugene" is basically a recursive translation of "melusine".

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Cool. Phonemes are fun.
Carthago delendum est

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 pm

I've hit kind of a wall myself in that I'm just super worn out. I'll get back to this soon though!
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Now that I have the airship, I could fly to the Interdimensional Rift and commence the endgame, but 1) I still have a few items and spells I want to grab, and 2) where's the fun in that? I think I'll at least get the other three tablets first.

Of the twelve sealed weapons, there are actually only three that can be used by my party: the Assassin's Dagger, the Fire Lash, and the Sage Staff. I gave the Fire Lash to my Beastmaster and the Sage Staff to my White Mage. I'll let my Chemist have the Assassin's Dagger.

This fight wasn't that complicated. Lenna healed while everyone else played Guess Who? Lenna's secondary ability came in very handy, since my party kept getting paralyzed and confused.

To the Fork Tower!

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:02 pm

I've decided that my final plan is to basically have everyone have White as their secondary ability, except my Red Mage who will have Dualcast. My White Mage will have Hide for emergency MP stalling, especially for Atomos and Omniscient. With how weak my party will be, I'll need to have a lot of healing--and I think that Holy might end up being my #1 damaging spell, especially from my Bard and Dancer.

Thinking...
Lenna - White Mage (w/ Hide)
Faris - Bard (w/ White)
Bartz - Dancer (w/ White)
Krile - Red Mage (w/ Dualcast)
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Retro Games”