If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

VGF Four Job Fiesta

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14 am

Guess it's the grind for me, boys
Carthago delendum est

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:45 pm

lmao first encounter after reloading my save had a Death Sickle
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Desert was a breeze- gotta love Aqua Breath.
Ruins weren't too bad, had to do a bit of grinding to get 1000 Needles and L4 Graviga. Getting White Wind, of course, was easy cheese.
Archaeoavis was great. 1000 Needles spam and then finished it off with L5 Death.

time for some badass music and then my final roll! It's... Dan-awwwwwww.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. White Mage 2. Red Mage 3. Bard 4. Dancer
Val - 1. White Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Beastmaster 4. Chemist
Kat - 1. Blue Mage 2. Berzerker 3. Beastmaster 4. Dancer
M_K - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Ninja 4. Dragoon
Scotty - 1. Monk 2. Mystic Knight 3. ??? 4. ???
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

^Good luck! Dancer has been interesting to play with. If you like to go fishing for a 1/4 chance, it's a grand ole time.

So after some good ol' fashioned grinding in the Bal Castle Basement, it was time to head to Castle Exdeath for probably my hardest challenge so far.

This fight was not easy. It took me 4 tries to get it done. Whenever Exdeath gets under 50% health, he starts Dual-casting. If I got the wrong combination of spells back-to-back, I was just sunk. I was also fighting tooth and nail to keep my party buffs up, which Exdeath had fun casting Dispel to get rid of. My strategy eventually boiled down to Bartz rolling dice with Dance, Krile attacking when in front row or casting Fira when forced into the back row by Reverse Polarity, Faris running clean-up on Shell/Protect, and Lenna basically casting Curaga every turn. It was really tough, but, hey.

I made it work.

Favorite line in the game, I think.

Antlion was fine. I didn't get any pictures of Gargoyles, but that was actually extremely difficult to me. I couldn't figure out how to keep them from casting Transfusion and just both respawning with 5,000 HP. I don't have any reliable damage dealing that can even crack 500, so it was really tough to whittle one down to under 500, then do the same to the other, and kill them quick enough before they resurrect. One Transfusion and I basically had to reset, because I had wasted so much MP to get that far. Spamming Romeo's Ballad seemed to help, but even then, the Stop would only last for under a round, so I had to work fast.

Been fumbling around in the desert pyramid for a while. Hoping to crank some out this weekend.
Carthago delendum est

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:10 pm

^You have 6 Bardsongs so far? One of them goes buh-bye one you clear the Pyramid.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Edit: never mind, I know what you're talking about. Yes, I snagged Mana's Paean from the Library of Ancients before it disappears.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 am

Ugh. What the hell? Liquid Flame is suddenly a bitch to fight with all Mystic Knights. I keep missing virtually every attack. I don't get it. In my first play-through I just used ice magic and it died fairly quickly. I use Spellblade Blizzara but I keep missing. I land a hit maybe once every 15 strikes.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

^Are your Monks missing, too?
Carthago delendum est

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

Which form of Liquid Flame? The Hand form is Immune to Ice.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 am

^^I didn't check yet. I had to stop playing for the moment because my boss walked around my office.

I kept missing both forms, regardless if I used Spellblade or not.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Ok. Well, if you have 2 Mystic Knights and 2 Monks, you should be able to use Ice Spellblade on most forms, and then use the Monks to take out the hand form.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Aha, right-o.

(*casually acts like I totally remembered the rules of Four Job Fiesta the entire time and feverishly looks them up again*)
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 pm

^You have Mystic Knight and Monk unlocked, so your party can be any combination of those two classes, as long as both are present. (So you can split it 2/2, 1/3, or 3/1).

When you unlock your Third job, you must have 3 characters of each class and one character will double up.

When you unlock your Fourth, you must have all 4 Jobs represented at all times.

Secondary skills can be whatever you want.
Carthago delendum est

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:43 pm

There are also 3 forms. Human form is offensive by design; hand (which, yep, is immune to Ice) is defensive; tornado uses Fire2 to heal itself.

ps Galuf's basement is best grinding spot everrrrrrr
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

^It's even better when you have Level 5 Death. I was just spamming Golden Needles.
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am

Having some trouble with the final boss, so I've been grinding a lot lately. I'll get around to beating him eventually.

Microphone_Kirby

Re: VGF Four Job Fiesta

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 am

... Oh, don't mind me. I'm just Dragging over the posts Shane forgot. ^.^
Marilink wrote:Image

NSFW
I kinda forgot that this boss was here, so I forgot to save after completing the pyramid. Thankfully, I was able to do it first try, because I did not want to have to go back into that freaking Pyramid again. Losing one party member is seriously detrimental to my strategy; only having 3 throughout that dungeon was way more challenging than I expected it to be.

This boss was annoying because I couldn't deal too much damage to him at a time. So not only was I playing roulette, but I was doing it 300-400 damage at a time. Thankfully, because the battle was so long, I think I must have been Level 70 or so by the end of it, because I have Hero's Rime playing basically the whole time. And, bonus--Wendigo's normal attacks don't count as Physical! So once Faris was singing away, she was locked in for the entire battle. That helped a whole lot.

So about this point in the game, I remembered that Rods were a thing. You can't buy them anywhere in the second world, so I had run out--but now that Karnak is back, I was able to go really load up. And, guess what? Even though Minotaur bans the use of Magic, you can still break Rods on him. Bartz took the healing role in this battle.

Fam. Lenna is officially beastly. Holy Dualcast is just monstrous.

Omniscient was a lot less of a problem than I anticipated. I took M_K's advice and abused Reflect, Mana's Paean, and Hero's Rime. Again, Omni didn't have any physical attacks, so the bard songs were able to just rack up massive buffs for me.

The most clutch part of this fight was that my Reflect was still up when Omni went ham at the end of the fight. If that weren't the case, not even Shelled Lenna could have survived that Flaire. But thankfully, he just Flared himself to death. Nice.

I have all the legendary weapons that my party can equip, and I have all the highest-powered magic that my party can take advantage of. Next order of business is grinding for the final run. Wish me luck.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. White Mage 2. Red Mage 3. Bard 4. Dancer - ENDGAME
Val - 1. White Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Beastmaster 4. Chemist - FINAL BOSS
Kat - 1. Blue Mage 2. Berzerker 3. Beastmaster 4. ???
**M_K** - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Ninja 4. Dragoon - DONE!
Valigarmander, post: 1641274, member: 30663 wrote:FINAL BOSS TIME.

I really had to level grind. My party was in the low 30s when I beat Necrophobe, but now they've beefed up a bit and I'm ready to take on Exdeath.

The first form wasn't too hard, although White Hole was annoying since it kills and petrifies a party member. Lenna and Faris focused on healing and buffing while Butz and Krile chugged Giant, Speed and Hero Potions and hit Exdeath with everything they had.

Here's where things got difficult. Almagest was really rough due to the immense damage it dealt, but most of the time my party was able to tank it. Dispel was annoying because it would remove all of the buffs I had set up for a character, and I'd have to hurry to replace them in time to prevent that party member from being wiped out. Grand Cross was usually manageable thanks to Lenna's Recover, but occasionally resulted in nasty situations like...

...this. Talk about back from the brink. I'm still not sure how I managed to survive this one.

Things got easier once two of the four parts were killed. At that point I tried damaging the two remaining parts evenly so I wouldn't have to deal with the Meteor spam at the end.

And that's that! What a great game. This challenge has reminded me why I love it so much.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my roll. White Mage was a little rough at the beginning of the game when it was all I had, but afterward it was invaluable. Mystic Knight was also pretty great to have, especially once I started getting the high-level spells. Once I got Flare I was doing tons of damage. Beastmaster was probably my least useful class. Certain enemies had useful abilities, but they were limited to one use and I didn't have the patience to farm enemies to capture. Chemist came in handy, especially since it allowed my damage dealers to boost their stats with potions. Recover was also a really good ability for quickly and efficiently removing status effects.

That was a blast. I think I'd be up for trying it again next year.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. White Mage 2. Red Mage 3. Bard 4. Dancer - ENDGAME
**Val** - 1. White Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Beastmaster 4. Chemist - DONE!
Kat - 1. Blue Mage 2. Berzerker 3. Beastmaster 4. ???
**M_K** - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Ninja 4. Dragoon - DONE!
Marilink, post: 1641275, member: 23215 wrote:Congrats, Val! Just out of curiosity, what level were you in the end? And I can't believe you made it back from that 2 dead, 1 Zombie situation. That's nuts.

...and when did you make your name in the Summary link to Caramelldansen? I missed that right up until now...
Valigarmander wrote::whistle:

I ground a good ten levels or so at the end, so I think my party was all around level 42.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:12 am

NIce, thanks M_K. I've gotta stop being so distracted by Sonic Mania so I can finish this challenge.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 am

Phew, I was worried I'd have to do my run over again.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

I'll get back to this next week. Still distracted by Torneko. ;)
Why must you leave~?

Return to “Retro Games”