VGF Four Job Fiesta, Part Two: Electric Boogaloo

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: VGF Four Job Fiesta, Part Two: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:57 am

So the dungeon of Castle Walse houses these jerkoffs, who have ridiculously high stats for this part of the game, can OHKO any party member with a physical strike, and always back attack you. Except... a) having a Thief in the party means you never suffer back attacks, and b) the Thief's !Flee command allows you to instantly escape battle. That means I got to grab all the goodies in the castle basement without having to worry about a party wipe. :cool:

Hoo boy. Garula has very strong physical attacks, including ones that inflict Sap, and it's difficult to keep everyone's health up when all I have are puny Potions. Garula also occasionally counters physical attacks, and since physical attacks are the only way I can deal damage at this point... well, I got another party kill.

I trekked back to Walse and bought about 50 Potions. I also discovered that you can steal Mythril Knives from the Wyverns in Walse Tower, which nearly doubled the damage my party dealt, so that was a huge help too. Second round, I was able to defeat Garula.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 2

Second job coming up. Will it make my life any easier?

It's Summoner! I'm excited about this one. Summon magic is powerful (albeit expensive) and versatile (albeit primarily offensive). The class has mediocre Agility and Vitality and abysmal Strength, but in exchange possesses the highest Magic stat in the game, and can equip knives or rods. This does mean I'll have to go out of my way a little to collect all the summons, but I think it'll be worth it.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Kat - 1. Thief 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???
Val - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. ??? 4. ???
ML - 1. Blue Mage 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???
RU - 1. ??? 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???
Squeege - 1. Monk 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Squeege is at Fire Ship, had trouble with the boss in spite of his Mystic Knight roll. He was using 2 x 2; I told him to try 3 x 1; he said he couldn't afford to equip 3 Mystic Knights; I said grinding for GP + grinding for levels = profit.

I still haven't played since grinding a bit for Karlabos. Too busy. Will maybe get back to it Sunday?? IDK.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Val - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. ??? 4. ???
Squeege - 1. Monk 2. Mystic Knight 3. ??? 4. ???
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:05 am

Shiva wasn't difficult. I had Lenna equipped with a Fire Rod dropped by an enemy in Walse Tower, and had her and my two Thieves attack while Galuf used Sylph/Potions to heal the party. (I could've taken the easy route and broken the Fire Rod during the battle... but I don't want to be cheap during this run unless I have to.)

Liquid Flame was a little scarier, but I was still able to handle it. Shiva did a ton of damage, so it was mainly just summoning her and trying to keep everyone's HP up. Healing was difficult because the only multi-target healing I have is via Sylph, which triggers the boss's counterattacks. Once again I found myself using up all of my Potions.

The !Flee command and lack of back attacks came in handy once again during the Castle Karnak escape, and I was able to get every chest I wanted with plenty of time to spare. :cool:

Death Claw was a joke, as always.

And the third job is Ranger! ...Which means I have to wait until later in the game before I can use it. :frown:

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Val - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Ranger 4. ???

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:45 am

Ifrit was a pushover. Four casts of Shiva and he went down.

Byblos caught me off guard. Wind Slash dealt major damage to my entire party, and getting Webbed, Confused, or Toad-ed wasted a lot of time. After losing to him once, I swapped everyone's jobs so my Thieves would be able to use Summon, and I was able to easily overwhelm him by having everyone cast Ifrit repeatedly.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 3

...And I also got wiped out by Bio Soldiers twice trying to reach Jachol.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 5

I don't think I died this much early on in my previous run. Not having any multi-target heal apart from Sylph really hurts.

Ramuh was tedious. His magic attacks were all capable of killing my party members in one or two hits. I ended up just casting Sylph repeatedly, because I had few attacks that were much stronger, and needed to keep everyone's health up.

Finally got my Ranger. This class has poor Vitality, but makes up for it by being able to equip bows, which can deal full damage from the back row. Bows are also two-handed and have mediocre accuracy, which kind of sucks. The commands a Ranger can learn are !Aim (attacks with 100% accuracy; situationally useful), !Animals (summons a random critter based on the user's level to damage or inflict status on an enemy, or heal the party; actually pretty useful), and !Rapid Fire (physically attacks four times at 50% strength each hit, but also being unblockable and ignoring defense; extremely good). I didn't realize how many useful skills this job has, so I'm psyched for it now.

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am

For the record, i have started my run, I just beat Magissa and Feroz. Will post more details later. Slow going right now.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Squeege was finally able to beat Liquid Flame (apparently, he didn't realize one of the forms was immune to ice r i p) and rolled his third job. I'm not sure if he got much further than that because I was really tired and went to take a nap after I saw his roll. He seems to be in pretty good shape now! Don't know much about the Ninja class, but it seems p good lmao

I'm going to finally get back to this now!! Not streaming tonight because SGDQ but I'll liveblog my progress in VGF Discord and/or my stream discord. As such, party wipes will still count toward my donation :)

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Squeege - 1. Monk 2. Mystic Knight 3. Ninja 4. ???
Why must you leave~?

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:38 pm

as promised,
Spoiler.
[8:47 PM] nyankat42: Party level 7...let's do thissss
[8:52 PM] nyankat42: ~10 potions later we done good fam!
[9:03 PM] nyankat42: got enough daggers to do work fairly quickly
[9:11 PM] nyankat42: lol I just accidentally triggered the Siren fight I might get my first party wipe
[9:19 PM] nyankat42: holy crap I actually did it without wiping
[9:20 PM] nyankat42: went through all my potions and antidotes to do it but DAMN
[snip]
[11:57 PM] nyankat42: excellent.
June 25, 2018
[1:16 AM] nyankat42: wiped on Magissa/Forza. Party was level 10
[1:17 AM] nyankat42: not sure if it's doable at L10
[2:10 AM] nyankat42: ;adflkgj finally
[2:10 AM] nyankat42: had to grind to L12 to do it
[2:53 AM] nyankat42: have me a full set of mythril knives so maaaaaybe I can beat garula?
[2:53 AM] nyankat42: I'll try tomorrow(ish)
[11:44 AM] nyankat42: I have (sort of) slept now to beat up a snuffleupagus
[11:46 AM] nyankat42: (we're all L13)
[11:46 AM] nyankat42: so I may need another level or two
[12:19 PM] nyankat42: ok so he killed half my party but the right answer was to grind to 14 and disregard healing
[12:21 PM] nyankat42: water roll is summoner...dunno what to do with that!!
wipe count: 1

I hope Summoners can break rods! The nice thing about having to grind in the tower is I have a few Fire Rods I could break when I go to get Shiva.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Kat - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. ??? 4. ???
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Kat and Val are gonna end up with the exact same party

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Kat confirmed for Mime.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 pm

gosh HECKING darn it :lol:

So having Shiva made my life a lot easier and I powered through the Karnak sequence in like an hour, maybe less. Except now I rolled Bard (how appropriate!) How get?

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Kat - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Bard 4. ???
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:36 pm

I hope you’ve been playing your pianos!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 am

Bard has some pretty awesome songs, if you're willing to go out of your way to collect them all.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:41 am

Sandworm was manageable. I had my Thief and Ranger use physical attacks, while my Summoners cast Sylph, and I eventually wore it down without much trouble. (I find it interesting that Sylph has been the most useful summon for me thus far.)

Oh, and I got killed by another pair of damned Bio Soldiers on the way to the Ruined City.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 6

Cray Claw went down in three summons of Ramuh. No problem.

Adamantoise was a similar story, thanks to Shiva.

Ramuh made quick work of all the guns outside the floating ruins. Soul Cannon itself was almost pathetically easy: the Launchers went down almost immediately, and the cannon itself was only able to cast Wave Cannon once before I destroyed it.

I remember having a lot of trouble with this fight last year. It's amazing what a simple change in your party makeup can do.

Archeoaevis wasn't too bad. I relied primarily on summons to damage it (though the Animals command was also pretty useful), since physical attacks weren't doing much. The only scary part of the fight was when it started casting Maelstrom, which did in fact lead to a party wipe at one point. MY KINGDOM FOR A RELIABLE MULTI-TARGET HEAL.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 7

And my final job is...

Samurai! Finally, a good physical fighter! Samurai can equip heavy armor and wield katanas and knives. They have a few interesting abilities to learn, including !Mineuchi (supposed to stun enemies, but is apparently bugged and doesn't work), !Zeninage (throws your money at enemies to cause ridiculous damage; will be useful at the end of the game when money is otherwise useless), Shiradori (an innate ability that increases your attack block rate), and !Iainuki (a special attack that attempts to instantly kill every enemy on screen; might be useful for grinding).

I don't think this would've been my #1 choice for a fighting class, but I'm just glad to have one now.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Val - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Ranger 4. Samurai

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Hot tip: Zeninage absolutely wrecks the Four Crystals boss in the Tree.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 am

^ Yeah, I remember it being pretty OP in my previous playthroughs of this game. I'll try not to rely on it too much, but it'll be nice to have in a pinch.

I think I have my party figured out. My Samurai is going to be the primary physical fighter, and will have !RapidFire as her second command. My Summoner will be the main spellcaster; I may give her either !Call or !Animals as a randomized, MP-free alternative to !Summon, or the Artful Dodger innate to boost her agility. Since my Thief has the third-lowest attack power of my jobs, he'll default to being the secondary spellcaster, with !Summon as his secondary skill. That leaves my Ranger as the secondary physical fighter, who will probably use !RapidFire.

Time to find out how good my party really is.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:49 pm

All right, I wish I could do picture updates like I did last time, but for now that’s untenable. So here’s what’s been happening.

-Blue Mages suck in the early game. I’m at the Fire Crystal and I only just now learned any spells, and even then it took me a bit to learn any worth using (Aero, Aera). I should really look up where I can learn Vampire.

-Since my Blue Mage party was so weak, the early game bosses were r o u g h. Feroz and Magissa really did a number on me. Even after grinding to level 10, I still only beat them by dice rolls.

-Thankfully, Garula wasn’t too bad, and my Water roll ended up being Summoner. I’m happy about that. Doing the Summon sidequests will help me boost my levels and find more Blue Magic spells.

-I went out of my way to get Shiva, so Karnak was a breeze. Liquid Flame posed very little problem, and then Iron Hand fell to two Aeras. Finally, my party is coming into its own.

-My Fire roll is Ninja. Excellent—now I have a proficient physical fighter. I already have a nice and balanced party, so I’m not gambling on anything for my Earth roll. I wouldn’t mind getting Chemist, because that would be totally new for me.

Party wipes: 7 (shameful, shameful)

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Blue Mage 2. Summoner 3. Ninja 4. ???

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

oh right so squeege is doing reasonably okay right now (his final roll was Chemist so he's both squishy and potentially OP) and also I still would like to grind before getting the earth crystal.
Party wipes: 2

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Squeege - 1. Monk 2. Mystic Knight 3. Ninja 4. Chemist
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 am

This fight was extremely easy, since I had summons that could hit all six of them for decent damage and kill them all at the same time. This is another battle I remember having a tough time with last year.

Titan was another easy fight. The only thing I was worried about was surviving Earth Shaker at the end of the battle, but thankfully my Samurai had enough HP to make it.

This boss was hard last year, and it's still hard. Blaze and Aqua Rake did major damage to my party, and it was really hard to keep my team's health up (Sylph is too weak and healing via !Animals isn't guaranteed; the only other option is single-target items). I game over'd once. The second time around was basically a race to see who could kill who first, with my party spamming Titan and desperately trying to keep HP high.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 8

Arrived at Galuf's World, farmed for Tents, kicked Gilg's ass, escaped Castle Exdeath...

Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge was a simple fight. I mainly used Titan, Animals, and physical attacks on him. It got hard keeping everyone alive once he cast Haste on himself, but I beat him in the end.

I didn't want to cheese the Tyrannosaur fight by using a Phoenix Down or an Elixir on it, so I fought it mainly by casting Ifrit. It still ended up being an easy fight.

I farmed Objets d'Art in the basement of Castle Bal for a little while, mainly because I wanted to steal a Twin Lance for my Thief (though the ABP was nice too).

Rescuing Golem turned out to be a little trickier than normal, since I lacked a class like a White Mage or a Bard who could damage both enemies while keeping Golem alive. I ended up resorting to casting Ifrit repeatedly, and using Hi-Potions to replenish Golem's health.

Dragon Pod was easy. Golem prevented any of the flowers from attacking me, while Titan obliterated them.

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 pm

The only thing annoying about the third Gilg fight was Enkidu's healing. It's good that my Thief and Ranger are able to do full damage at long range.

Wow. It's a good thing these things are weak to Earth, otherwise I would've been toast.

Atomos wasn't bad at all. I didn't even have to cheese the fight by using Zeninage.

Shoat might have been easy if I'd had the foresight to bring more Softs with me. Luckily I had just enough to get by.

My strategy with the crystals was to cast Golem to deflect physical attacks, then wearing their health down with Titan before picking them off one-by-one with physical attacks. However, I couldn't stay alive once one of the crystals entered critical health (two casts of Aqua Rake was more than enough to obliterate my party), and again, I have no multi-target healing ability. After several tries I just used Zeninage to beat them.

PARTY WIPE COUNT: 11

rip galuf

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I’m on vacation, so just a quick update from my travel playing—

-I still have no reliable healing. Thankfully, because my summoners actually have summons and blue mages actually have blues, I can outpace most bosses for damage. I haven’t wiped since my last post, including bosses like Byblos, Archeoavis, Titan, etc.
-That said, I came real close to a wipe on Archeoavis. Bartz (Butts) came through in the clutch on what would have been his dying turn.
-My Earth roll came up Samurai. Since my party is pretty similar to Val’s, I’m a touch disappointed. But !Zeninage will be extremely handy, and having a duo of Ninja/Samurai is going to be extremely powerful on the physical end.

Now if I can just get some dang HEALS

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Blue Mage 2. Summoner 3. Ninja 4. Samurai

Return to “Retro Games”