If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

"What did you learn today?" doesn't have a clever title this time.

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:28 am

Adult cats rarely meow to each other, but commonly meow at humans. This is a post-domestication extension of meowing by kittens, who do so to get attention from their parents.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 am

The pronoun that Rayfa and Ga'ran use in the Japanese version of Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice is "warawa," which I recognize as also being the pronoun Boa Hancock from One Piece uses.

Makes sense considering their character types and social standing but interesting to me nonetheless.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1633774, member: 30663"]Adult cats rarely meow to each other, but commonly meow at humans. This is a post-domestication extension of meowing by kittens, who do so to get attention from their parents.[/QUOTE]
My mother/daughter pair both do it. Only cats I've ever known that ever meow to each other. Like, I've legit heard mom meow-whine at baby, asking for head licks. Baby's 6. Mom's 7. We assume it's an echolocation tool, haha.

Tomorrow I'm gonna learn how to create an index for a book.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

The U.S. government loses about $55 million per year minting new pennies, as their production cost is over 50% higher than their value.

why

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 pm

If we changed the way pricing is done in the US so that pennies were no longer necessary to avoid getting ripped off, then I'd support ending production.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:15 pm

I think when Canada stopped producing pennies, vendors just started rounding to the nearest five cents.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 pm

^Right, which means that 40% of the time, people get overcharged. And assuming that we'd do it the same way is optimistic; they might just decide to always round up, so we'd get overcharged 80% of the time.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:18 pm

You make back the lost 2 cents on the next purchase, since people buy multiple items and do not have a uniform tax rate.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:56 pm

I learned that Microsoft has created the Windows 10 desktop slideshow so ineptly that the image swap is enough to cause significant stutter even on my system. This was after spending the last month obsessively watching every usage graph trying to find a bottleneck or throttle that didn't exist and even buying an extension cord to use a different outlet. But no, the entire time it was just the thing my Windows 95 computer with 128GB of RAM and a 500MHz processor could handle in 1998. From searching the internet after I finally found it, this seems to be a reasonably widespread issue.

In MS's slight defense, I assume this has something to do with me having 700 desktops for it to pick from. But that defense still doesn't count for much, because it's a slideshow.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 pm

The term "blue blood" as used to describe aristocrats comes from Spain, where the nobility tended to have paler skin than the general populace due to lack of Jewish or Moorish admixture. Veins appear blue-colored beneath fair skin, hence "blue blood".

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:15 pm

TIL the Japanese version of Majora's Mask didn't have the saving-at-owl-statues feature.

Thanks, SGDQ.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:00 pm

There's a town in Queensland called Eromanga.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 pm

The Phoenician alphabet is the ancestor of all major modern Semitic scripts (Arabic, Hebrew, etc.), European scripts (Greek, Latin, Cyrillic, etc.), and (debatably) Brahmic scripts (Devanagari, Khmer, Javanese, etc.), meaning the predominant writing system in every country in the world today is Phoenician-derived, with the exception of China, the Koreas, Japan, and Ethiopia.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

The fact that you have successfully and easily prepared a cantaloupe is no indication that either of those adjectives will apply when you attempt to prepare a watermelon.

In other news, I now have a bowl of performance art vaguely resembling sliced watermelon in my fridge. Miraculously, I also still have ten fingers.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I spent a decent bit of the weekend learning things about the new Magic set! :D
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:15 am

TIL there might just be a thylacine running around in SA!! :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:48 pm

A lot of the Italian-American Cuisine is filled with meat, coffee, and sugar because these were products that poor Italians weren't allowed to have in their homeland. When they immigrated to the United States they found these same items readily available for affordable prices. So they reacted to it like if you found a source of water in the middle of a desert.

And that's why you have lasagna.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:27 pm

There is a speedrun category for Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask called "low pause" in which the games are routed to pause the game and access the START screen as few times as absolutely possible (which means the bare minimum of c-item swaps). Basically the category is an excuse to get really, REALLY creative with glitches and routes.

The Majora's Mask route is a total ride. Beat the game in 2 pauses; avoided needing to equip the transformation masks by doing everything you need to do as a Deku before learning the Song of Healing, exploiting glitches to warp to places you usually couldn't access in a certain form/without certain items, etc. The communities for these games have broken them in such creative ways, it's really incredible.

(MM run is more interesting IMO bc the 3-day cycles have to be taken into account which makes things spicy at times. For example, need to open the temple in the Southern Swamp as a Deku, exploit a series of glitches to get back to Clock Town as a Deku, talk to the Happy Mask Salesman to return to a human, then go back and beat the temple as a human in the same 3-day cycle)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 pm

I was looking through the dictionary today because I was curious if there was a feminine equivalent of the word "avuncular"—an adjective meaning "pertaining to, or in the manner of, an aunt". It turns out there is such a word: "materteral".

What a horrible-sounding word. It's like the word "maternal" got injured in a factory accident and the doctor was piss drunk while sewing it back together. It's the opposite of "rolls off the tongue": it slides off your tongue on a sandpaper sled and then does a somersault while flipping you off.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm

The Prince/Princess of Wales doesn't actually have to be from Wales, it's just the title given to the heir apparent to the British throne.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”