If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

VGF is sweet sixteen!!! (50+ pictures warning)

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:22 pm

We also have a similar post count!

Spooky.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Nice to see you guys back, for real. Stick around!
Carthago delendum est

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:23 pm

[QUOTE="Marilincarnation, post: 1615834, member: 23215"]HotD is actually one of VGF's horcruxes.[/QUOTE]
Hang on, are you saying Missy murdered a dude
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Wait!!! My marshmallows never killed anyone, Kargath. :partyfairy: :party: :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Sometimes I lurk.
I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away.

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:19 pm

It would be interesting to have a thread about how everyone is doing now. I'm honestly curious since so many people are here that I remember. Not sure if that is too invasive though, haha.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:52 pm

^I mean, this could very well be that thread if you'd like. It would fit in the theme of reminiscing about the old days/looking back on the past years.
Carthago delendum est

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:58 am

[QUOTE="Marilincarnation, post: 1616010, member: 23215"]^I mean, this could very well be that thread if you'd like. It would fit in the theme of reminiscing about the old days/looking back on the past years.[/QUOTE]

Alright! Well, how are you doing? How have your last 10-15 years been - and what pulled you to continue to dedicate yourself to VGF? :)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:21 am

It's been great! Graduated college, married a girl, had a kid, halfway through grad school. I've been sticking with VGF because this was my first internet community where I've made a lot of great friends (many of which I've actually met IRL now), and I have no reason to leave!
Carthago delendum est

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:43 am

[QUOTE="Marilincarnation, post: 1616038, member: 23215"]It's been great! Graduated college, married a girl, had a kid, halfway through grad school. I've been sticking with VGF because this was my first internet community where I've made a lot of great friends (many of which I've actually met IRL now), and I have no reason to leave![/QUOTE]

That's great, thank you for sharing! I'm glad you sound happy. Is it hard to have a kid and go to grad school at the same time now?

I never made any solid friends on here so that was a big part of why I probably stopped coming on. I did talk to one person a lot I met on the NC forums and we met up before, but something strange happened and he disconnected himself from the internet.

HotD, how have you been? You're very much someone I knew in a distant past. Everything good with you?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:25 am

It's quite a bit to manage, yeah, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being busy.
Carthago delendum est

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:31 pm

[QUOTE="Mariosrpg89, post: 1616155, member: 23826"]
HotD, how have you been? You're very much someone I knew in a distant past. Everything good with you?[/QUOTE]

Everything is going very well, thank you for asking. This is my favourite time of the year and I am enjoying it very much with lots of baking, wrapping gifts and generally belting out carols loudly and as always, out-of-tune. :lol: Life has been overall interesting, but I'm getting through it quite well. I keep busy with part-time work and I am learning languages, informally at this stage, when I have free time (none for the past couple of weeks).

I'm here still at VGF because I truly adore the members (don't believe any rumours that it's because I wield super amounts of power as an Admin) and over the years, I have gotten to make some lovely friends (I still keep in contact with a number of 'lurking/non-active' members outside of VGF). It's like a second-home for me and some place I can come and just be myself, albeit minus all the sharing of my baking. I do my bit and try to bring a little extra magic to a very special place on the internet!!

How about you? How are you and how's Life been treating you? (Was your mission --in Life-- a success and that's why you returned?) :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:00 am

[QUOTE="Heroine of the Dragon, post: 1616216, member: 22385"]Everything is going very well, thank you for asking. This is my favourite time of the year and I am enjoying it very much with lots of baking, wrapping gifts and generally belting out carols loudly and as always, out-of-tune. :lol: Life has been overall interesting, but I'm getting through it quite well. I keep busy with part-time work and I am learning languages, informally at this stage, when I have free time (none for the past couple of weeks).

I'm here still at VGF because I truly adore the members (don't believe any rumours that it's because I wield super amounts of power as an Admin) and over the years, I have gotten to make some lovely friends (I still keep in contact with a number of 'lurking/non-active' members outside of VGF). It's like a second-home for me and some place I can come and just be myself, albeit minus all the sharing of my baking. I do my bit and try to bring a little extra magic to a very special place on the internet!!

How about you? How are you and how's Life been treating you? (Was your mission --in Life-- a success and that's why you returned?) :D [/QUOTE]

Ah that's all good to hear! It's a valuable thing - being able to say that things are going well. You sound like my favorite kind of person this time of year. I too love Christmas and buying presents - I just sent my niece and nephew a big box of gifts in the mail. Which languages are you learning?

Life has been full of some crazy curve balls the past decade - some of it was quite a mess and I'm fortunate to say I've gotten through the worst of that. Now I'm living far away from home - in Tokyo - and have just been focusing on my job tutoring and teaching adults, learning Japanese and going out and exploring on my own. I recently was given a Japanese N64 by my friend here and I got very nostalgic. Many things here that I run into give me that feeling, actually. I started to think of VGF again and my time here and decided to stop by! I have a pretty good amount of free time, too, because my family and most of my friends are naturally so far away.

VGF being a second home for you makes me feel all warm and fuzzy - thank you for passing along the kindness, speaking to me so openly and welcoming me back to the forum :smile:

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:48 pm

[QUOTE="Mariosrpg89, post: 1616267, member: 23826"]Ah that's all good to hear! It's a valuable thing - being able to say that things are going well. You sound like my favorite kind of person this time of year. I too love Christmas and buying presents - I just sent my niece and nephew a big box of gifts in the mail. Which languages are you learning?

Life has been full of some crazy curve balls the past decade - some of it was quite a mess and I'm fortunate to say I've gotten through the worst of that. Now I'm living far away from home - in Tokyo - and have just been focusing on my job tutoring and teaching adults, learning Japanese and going out and exploring on my own. I recently was given a Japanese N64 by my friend here and I got very nostalgic. Many things here that I run into give me that feeling, actually. I started to think of VGF again and my time here and decided to stop by! I have a pretty good amount of free time, too, because my family and most of my friends are naturally so far away.

VGF being a second home for you makes me feel all warm and fuzzy - thank you for passing along the kindness, speaking to me so openly and welcoming me back to the forum :smile: [/QUOTE]

You're awesome!! ;) Thank you for your response. You are always welcome here!!

I'm learning Hungarian, French and Finnish. But not all at the same time. :lol: I am focusing all my spare time on Hungarian at the moment and find the conjugations to be challenging. It's good for the brain cells. ;)

I'm so glad you came through your experiences on the brighter side and hope you are enjoying Tokyo. Have you visited the owl cafes? Or been on the bullet trains? I haven't been but [USER=17429]@Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds[/USER] and [USER=25415]@He Who is Without Skin[/USER] went and the photos were lovely!! I hope your Japanese is coming along nicely, too.

I empathise; this whole thread made me super-nostalgic when I made it (and I may have leaked composing it since it took me a long time to get everything ready for it and gave me a lot of time to ponder all the people I have made a connection - big or small - with over the years). And congratulations on getting a JN64. I hope you are having lots of fun playing games. :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:21 am

[QUOTE="Heroine of the Dragon, post: 1616350, member: 22385"]You're awesome!! :wink: Thank you for your response. You are always welcome here!!

I'm learning Hungarian, French and Finnish. But not all at the same time. :lol: I am focusing all my spare time on Hungarian at the moment and find the conjugations to be challenging. It's good for the brain cells. :wink:

I'm so glad you came through your experiences on the brighter side and hope you are enjoying Tokyo. Have you visited the owl cafes? Or been on the bullet trains? I haven't been but [USER=17429]@Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds[/USER] and [USER=25415]@He Who is Without Skin[/USER] went and the photos were lovely!! I hope your Japanese is coming along nicely, too.

I empathise; this whole thread made me super-nostalgic when I made it (and I may have leaked composing it since it took me a long time to get everything ready for it and gave me a lot of time to ponder all the people I have made a connection - big or small - with over the years). And congratulations on getting a JN64. I hope you are having lots of fun playing games. :D [/QUOTE]

Holy...I've heard Hungarian is very difficult. One of my childhood friends is Hungarian and I'm sure he'd think you're crazy for trying! Hahaha. Which languages do you already know?

I have not visited an owl cafe but I got to meet one in the street and took some wonderful photos of it. No bullet train yet either. Tokyo is fantastic and I love my neighborhood which is a little farther out in West Tokyo. I have some great friends I get to see sometimes and there's just so much shopping and eating to do - I try almost everyday! Japanese is getting to be pretty difficult for me at the level I am. I'm already fluent in Greek and while I had an advantage being bilingual I'm still having a lot of trouble speaking without sounding like I'm having a stroke. I can read pretty alright, though.

When making the thread and pondering on those connections were there little things that stood out in your memory of people that you didn't even speak to anymore? Like, "I remember so-and-so because of that one thread..."

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:49 pm

[QUOTE="Mariosrpg89, post: 1616368, member: 23826"]Holy...I've heard Hungarian is very difficult. One of my childhood friends is Hungarian and I'm sure he'd think you're crazy for trying! Hahaha. Which languages do you already know?

I have not visited an owl cafe but I got to meet one in the street and took some wonderful photos of it. No bullet train yet either. Tokyo is fantastic and I love my neighborhood which is a little farther out in West Tokyo. I have some great friends I get to see sometimes and there's just so much shopping and eating to do - I try almost everyday! Japanese is getting to be pretty difficult for me at the level I am. I'm already fluent in Greek and while I had an advantage being bilingual I'm still having a lot of trouble speaking without sounding like I'm having a stroke. I can read pretty alright, though.

When making the thread and pondering on those connections were there little things that stood out in your memory of people that you didn't even speak to anymore? Like, "I remember so-and-so because of that one thread..."[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, I think I'm crazy some days... and get a good laugh out of my conversation attempts. ;) I know a smattering of 6 languages other than English (some only how to greet someone, use polite words and ask some simple questions), but mostly I know a lot of French and am out of serious practice with my French.

That's very awesome seeing an owl in the street like that!! We met one at a display to bring notice to wildlife rehabilitation recently and I loved it!! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Tokyo and I'm sure that your Japanese will be great very soon. My biggest tip is to make sure that you have someone local to correct your pronunciation. ;) And have fun!!

Oh yeah, I felt like I was reliving the past one memory at a time for a while there... remembering this member said this or that and having a giggle or leaking. It's been a wonderful part of my life being at VGF. I also have lots of stuff that I didn't post... my collection of art drawn about me, or for me, and a bunch of PMs. Plus I have stuff on floppies that I can't access anymore. When you came back, did you have a rush of memories about the place and it's members that you used to know best? :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Pyropunk

Post by Pyropunk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Holy cow.... 16... I can barely believe it. I still remember coming in here back around 2002ish? And just coming for the heck of it. Wasn't a huge video gamer until I started coming here and talking to folks and joining up in AIM Chat (hah, wow.... old school) and finding out what was fun, not fun, or just making new friends. Glad to see this place is still around and can't wait to see what happens. I've recommended tons of people here over the years. Heck, just had a kid the other day I referred because of our conversation and how he felt like an outsider and lonely due to his love of a game. Told him to join because of all the awesome people who are like minded and love to play!

Mariosrpg89

Post by Mariosrpg89 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:20 am

[QUOTE="Heroine of the Dragon, post: 1616524, member: 22385"]Hahaha, I think I'm crazy some days... and get a good laugh out of my conversation attempts. :wink: I know a smattering of 6 languages other than English (some only how to greet someone, use polite words and ask some simple questions), but mostly I know a lot of French and am out of serious practice with my French.

That's very awesome seeing an owl in the street like that!! We met one at a display to bring notice to wildlife rehabilitation recently and I loved it!! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying Tokyo and I'm sure that your Japanese will be great very soon. My biggest tip is to make sure that you have someone local to correct your pronunciation. :wink: And have fun!!

Oh yeah, I felt like I was reliving the past one memory at a time for a while there... remembering this member said this or that and having a giggle or leaking. It's been a wonderful part of my life being at VGF. I also have lots of stuff that I didn't post... my collection of art drawn about me, or for me, and a bunch of PMs. Plus I have stuff on floppies that I can't access anymore. When you came back, did you have a rush of memories about the place and it's members that you used to know best? :D [/QUOTE]

Sort of! I remember a lot of you but not a whole lot of details personality wise. Plus, I know some members were real young (like me) and likely have changed completely. I always remembered you were extremely sweet, though. I also remember Knux fairly well because he was active when I was, too, and was very sad to hear the news afterwards :(

Not to bring that up now - heaven knows we need some cheering up this season. I'm not happy about many unrelated recent events. I think it was also a good time to leave the states this year!

I hope your Christmas was pleasant and joyful!

james griffin dubbo

Post by james griffin dubbo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:20 pm

i registered on here in 2001

oh my god we're old now

Johnthehunter

Post by Johnthehunter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 pm

17th birthday is coming soon :) congrats guys :)

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”