Thoughts on my visit to Twitchcon 2018

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

S1x

Thoughts on my visit to Twitchcon 2018

Post by S1x » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 am

Video version:

Text version:

- I had just the Sunday pass, but I wanted max value from this day, so I went in early before any expo stuff opened. I used this time to scout out the stuff that was available (free play pinball and the Museum of Emotes was pretty interesting), and then sit down in the room where GDQ Express was going on
- In GDQx I sat in the corner watching most of the Super Metroid / Link to the Past combo randomizer. The way the seed treated the runners was perfect and led to a bunch of hilarity finding the last needed item and it was a very good time. Certain other speedrunners I've watched were talking with their friends not too far from me. They're indeed real people, who knew
- The Artist Alley had a lot of cool styles (stitches of Stardew Valley characters!), and I did decide to fork over 10 bucks for some cool retro bead keychains
- I didn't pay too much attention to the Meet and Greet section, but I did get to see the disappointed reactions from so many kids when they learned that the Ninja section was completely booked already :D :D :D
- In the early afternoon I met up with @Apollo the Just / Lloyd Irving, explored more stuff, talked about awkward Twitch chat moments, and circled back to the GDQx room
- We watched most of the Mario block, which was super impressive as always, and being right there with the cheering crowd and the runners themselves enhanced the experience further (we're probably a few pixels in the background of the streamer cam somewhere)
- There was a dedicated Fortnite section, but besides the free drink (blue flavored lemonade), it didn't resonate with me in the slightest. Does this mean I'm old?
- One of my goals was to educate myself a little more on how to brand my streams and stuff for greater chances of attracting the audience I want, but I moved around too much to see/hear most of that content. Whoops
- There are a lot of ways drink makers marketing to gamers can make beverages taste very strange
- The most interesting thing in the expo to me was people playing a Link to the Past Randomizer while others bought coins with Bits and then traded those coins for things to help or hinder the run in real time. I can install this extension now if I want, and it's kind of tempting......
- I thought about buying Twitch branded purple merchandise, but the line to enter the Loot Cave never seemed to go below a 1 hour wait, and I was not ready for that kind of life commitment

Overall, the GDQ event, Apollo, and the fact that Twitch chose the most convenient place possible for me made this worth the adventure. If just one of those were missing, I would have likely watched stuff from home. Very cool that it worked out this way!

Bonus pics (with more coming soon from Apollo probably):

^ Front entrance. Pic taken during the evening because I forgot to do one in the morning

^ League of Legends action with some commentators and players from the NA region

-
^ Corner view of the GDQx room. There's so many monitors on the actual stage

^ One of these is a SessyLloydo drawing, and the other is Apollo acting like the drawing. I think I have almost figured out which is which and will get back to you shortly

Apollo the Just

Re: Thoughts on my visit to Twitchcon 2018

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 am

I’ll post more after work tomorrow but rn all I have to say is

GAMER

GUMMIES

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

This is awesome. I really hope I'm able to get to a GDQ someday, so you guys are living that dream of mine a little bit.

Glad to see you guys had such a good time! Did you get any good reactions on your Lloyd cosplay, AJ?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm

I’m on mobile on my lunch atm and way too lazy to post individual photos so have a collage I made for Instagram: Image

As I went off about in S1x’s video, I was honestly just there for GDQx. The other stuff was cool but I just wanted to take the only opportunity I’ve had thus far to attend a GDQ event in my state close enough to get to.

I gotta say, seeing The Couch (^TM) in person just made it all way more real. I’ve been thinking about attending the next RPG Limit Break, especially if Symphonia gets in, because - who knows - if I get gud maybe I can be on The Couch (^TM) someday. I’ve been following certain speedrunners for years, I’m on talking terms with some of them, and now the possibility of actually feeling like a part of this community rather than a spectator just feels way more attainable. I’m still **** emotional about it tbqh and way more motivated to get GUD.

Unrelated, SpikeVegeta was sitting in an adjacent table while we were at dinner. Turns out he’s a real person who eats food like real people, weird.

^ yes!! A couple people did recognize me. I failed to obnoxiously promote my channel at them which was the plan but I didn’t want to be That Guy so I held off. Maybe next time I’ll rehearse saying “thanks follow for bad ToS speedruns” and hand out stickers of Lloyd’s wanted poster...... #marketing

My favorite person was still the guy who was like “nice cosplay, nice affiliate badge, but GUESS WHAT’S BETTER” and then flashed his Partner badge at me and S1x

anyway..... I love speedrunning

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:18 am

i have 2 very important additions to make to my earlier post:

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 am

ayy you did it

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”