70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

I am nobody

Re: 70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

Post by I am nobody » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:15 am
Amazon's analytics are screwy.

About 99% of my all-time purchases from Amazon have been the crap I'm into---------gaming, teevee, anime, manga, toys, comics, etc. I look for an Armor of God pin for my nephew one time, and now all my top picks and recommendations are nothing but Armor of God crap, other assorted Christian propaganda, and inspirational posters. Bring back the ponies already, for heavens sakes.
With the caveat that I don't work for Amazon and don't know how their specific recommendation engine is implemented, it's probably down to some quirks of probability. Those things generally just look at a bunch of products and pick the one you're most likely to buy based on what similar customers did, and if you look at a very niche product that has fans that tend to all buy the same set of things, the probabilities around that single item can win out over a dozen generalist products that aren't very predictive about what people will buy next. "Armor of God" definitely sounds like one of those niche products.

But some of it also seems deliberate since I've had recommendations like that ignore me specifically marking items as gifts and not to be used for suggestions, so that may be the intended behavior in Amazon's case. Can't imagine why.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: 70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:52 pm

...ewwww. So most people look at an Armour of God pin, and then they just quit on buying Harlan Ellison books and Troma movies and pony figures, and instead they just get into this Chicken Soup For the Soul/Jars of Clay/Hayley Westenra horsesh*t forever? Gross.

Never knew I was such an iconoclastic edgelord.

I don't care about Hayley Westenra, I'm into Lucy Westenra! I'll Van Helsing up and stake some drac-ass sumbitchenbasterd nosferatu wienerheads, homey!
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”