70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

steeze

70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

Post by steeze » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 am

Got some money for my birthday. I feel like giving an indecisive person an amazon card is cruel. What would you buy? I've considered buying a new ps4 controller but I mean, come on. I got 70 dollars to take on the world right now with no repercussions. Fake suggestions are welcome as well. Big believer in gag gifts.

smol Kat

Re: 70 dollar amazon gift card. What would you buy?

Post by smol Kat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 am

I recently got a gift card from work and it went to a USB dance pad.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

I know what I'd buy-----I'd buy extravagances. Pure extravagances. Completely superfluous things, sins of conspicuous consumption, concessions to vanity, nice things I want for me, just for the sheer delight of having them, and delighting in the fact that they're mine.

A person shouldn't buy extravagances, but that doesn't mean he can't keep a couple hundred in his Amazon shopping cart, just in case he wins the lottery or he gets to take over the chocolate factory or payday comes along or something. Yeah.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 pm

A cup.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

^An extravagant cup?

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Does this qualify as an extravagant cup? idk how women with boob jobs would feel about these though.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Presumably women with boob jobs would need extravagant cups anyway.

OR

I often ponder how women with boob jobs feel, as well!

Cast your votes now!

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 pm

I don't know about buying A cups, but I like Amazon gift cards because I just add them to my account and forget about it until the next time I go to buy something. I shop there a lot for mostly boring stuff due to price/convenience/selection. I occasionally dip into their digital store, but the last physical gaming item I bought was an Xbox 360 controller. So much easier to use a plug and play controller for PC gaming than trying to figure out how to get something from Sony to work.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Plug-and-plays are great. Bought a cheapo third-party plug-and-play for the sake of having a second XONE controller for half the price. It's good. No futzing about with sync, no worrying about batteries. Plus I can use the cord to charge my phone and tablet whiles I'm watching teevee and Youtubes and being a lout in general.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm

I stopped patronizing Amazon earlier this year, but if I hadn't I'd probably just get however many books $70 can buy.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Same as Val, buuuuut instead of books probably a good microphone so I can stop using my phone as one lol

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:47 am

Wait, why did you guys stop patronizing Amazon? Just curious. I just use it for so much it eliminates wasting time going grocery shopping with Amazon Fresh. Plus I get pretty good deals just by using prime. On top of that getting points for using my credit card for everything.

Nothing can ever take away from BJs in terms of good deals on things you need though.

Is it bad that I've yet to dip my foot into PC gaming? Like I wouldn't even know where to start with getting into that. I only have a laptop that I bought this year. I've always wanted to play games off Steam.

I think I still have my original dance-dance revolutions pad somewhere in the basement at my parents' house kat lol.

I'm thinking of going with a 2TB External HD. Thinking it might be useful so I don't have to constantly worry about storage on my PS4. Does anyone know if that would in-turn speed up my PS4 just a little bit or am I delusional?

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:06 pm

^ I find a lot of people start PC gaming with Bethesda titles, probably because they're usually better-suited for it than console.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 pm

External HDDs are of somewhat mixed value for anything you can just redownload unless your internet is really slow. USB usually won't do much more than 30 MB/s, so you'll see a (potentially quite) significant hit to loading times if you're gaming off of it. It probably isn't much faster to transfer something from it than to just download it again unless your internet is in the vicinity of 25Mb/s (small b) and you're transferring something very large.

Starting 3D PC gaming with a laptop without a dedicated GPU (which you almost certainly don't have unless you specifically looked for it or spent a ton of money) is a risky business because different engines and optimizations can have wild variations in performance on integrated GPUs. I had an old laptop that could comfortably play Borderlands at 1080/60 but couldn't manage 20 FPS in 480p with Oxenfree, for instance.

That said, there's loads of great older or 2D games that should be fine. Amazon's PC store isn't very usable and doesn't have a great selection, so this might not be the place to discuss it, but I'd be happy to help you get started if that's what you're looking for.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:57 pm

I started PC gaming around the time of the original Roller Coaster Tycoon and The Sims and when Ultima Online was still relevant. Now it makes up most of my gaming. Dirt cheap and such a huge selection. Though that cheapness means I own hundreds of games I'll probably never play.

I bought a bunch of cheap casual games from Amazon one Black Friday, but they also do keys to other storefronts, though I wouldn't start there during just some random day.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:59 pm

I've always kept a list of every material thing I absolutely want - and very specific too. Things from books to collectibles to movies to video games. I always stick to my list and when I get money I tackle things methodically. If I get some side money, I like to tackle on the most expensive items. Is there any collectible you're interested in?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 am

steeze wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:47 am
Wait, why did you guys stop patronizing Amazon? Just curious. I just use it for so much it eliminates wasting time going grocery shopping with Amazon Fresh. Plus I get pretty good deals just by using prime. On top of that getting points for using my credit card for everything.
I stopped patronizing Amazon because they treat their workers like ****, the CEO is a symbol of everything wrong with our current economy/society, the company is pretty much a poster child for corporate inequality, and because the last couple things I've needed to buy online I got significantly better deals on eBay anyway. Amazon wanted to sell me my capture card for like $200 more than I got it for on eBay, lmao. I recognize the irony given that I'm affiliated on Twitch and therefore making money for Amazon, who owns it, but eh. I didn't renew my Prime this year and since then I haven't bought a single thing on Amazon, and I haven't needed to.

I recognize a lot of people rely on Amazon but I'm fortunate in that I don't have to.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:07 pm

What ^ said, more or less. I liked the convenience and general cheapness of Amazon, but there are other places out there that provide a similar service with none or less of the baggage Amazon has, and I'm doing well enough right now that I can afford to be a little conscientious about what businesses/brands I support.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:15 am

Amazon's analytics are screwy.

About 99% of my all-time purchases from Amazon have been the crap I'm into---------gaming, teevee, anime, manga, toys, comics, etc. I look for an Armor of God pin for my nephew one time, and now all my top picks and recommendations are nothing but Armor of God crap, other assorted Christian propaganda, and inspirational posters. Bring back the ponies already, for heavens sakes.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:16 am

I'll gladly support Bezos' trillion dollar empire, even though I probably don't agree with him about more than I do. Though Amazon isn't exactly unique, he built a platform that completely changed the retail landscape. The economy is booming, and employers are tripping over themselves trying to retain quality talent. It's no longer just an ecommerce play either. AWS is where all the profit comes from, and they're starting to go brick and mortar.

You don't even need to search for it. Just talk about it. Google/Siri/Alexa are always watching.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”