If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Solar Eclipse on August 21

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

Solar Eclipse on August 21

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:52 pm

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see apartial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk.

Who Can See It?
Lots of people! Everyone in the contiguous United States, in fact, everyone in North America plus parts of South America, Africa, and Europe will see at least a partial solar eclipse, while the thin path of totality will pass through portions of 14 states.

What is It?
This celestial event is a solar eclipse in which the moon passes between the sun and Earth and blocks all or part of the sun for up to about three hours, from beginning to end, as viewed from a given location. For this eclipse, the longest period when the moon completely blocks the sun from any given location along the path will be about two minutes and 40 seconds. The last time the contiguous U.S. saw a total eclipse was in 1979.

Where Can You See It?
You can see a partial eclipse, where the moon covers only a part of the sun, anywhere in North America (see “Who can see it?”). To see a total eclipse, where the moon fully covers the sun for a short few minutes, you must be in the path of totality. The path of totality is a relatively thin ribbon, around 70 miles wide, that will cross the U.S. from West to East. The first point of contact will be at Lincoln Beach, Oregon at 9:05 a.m. PDT. Totality begins there at 10:16 a.m. PDT. Over the next hour and a half, it will cross through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North and South Carolina. The total eclipse will end near Charleston, South Carolina at 2:48 p.m. EDT. From there the lunar shadow leaves the United States at 4:09 EDT. Its longest duration will be near Carbondale, Illinois, where the sun will be completely covered for two minutes and 40 seconds.
Anyone else going to try and watch this? I'm just barely north of the eclipse's path, so I might not get to witness a total eclipse, but I should still get a good show nonetheless.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Probably not. I've seen near-total eclipses before------------it'd be one thing if I lived in the of zone of totality, but I don't. Zone of totality's like an eight-hour drive from here.
boo-----------------------not exactly as evil as you'd imagine at first

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm excited about this and wish I could be there to witness it in person. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Welp.... Road trip to Oregon I guess
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 am

If you plan on watching the eclipse, please make sure your glasses are legit. There are a lot of unsafe knockoffs on the market that won't properly protect your eyes.
Given all this — and in an effort to reduce your level of anxiety and prevent thousands of perfectly fine eclipse glasses from winding up in the landfill — there is a simple way to test whether your solar eclipse glasses are safe:

When you look through them, you shouldn’t be able to see anything but the sun. Not the lights in your house, not headlights on the street. Nothing but the sun.

If you can see anything else through the film, toss the glasses and find a pair that works.
The link also lists vendors supplying certified eclipse glasses.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 am

That's the day before my birthday.

Scarecrow

Re:

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 am

VG_Addict wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 am
That's the day before my birthday.
On my birthday.

smol Kat

Re: Solar Eclipse on August 21

Post by smol Kat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Might have to homebrew a couple projectors.

Of note, you can also see it on NASA's livestream, but since we get an 80% eclipse I would rather just watch it outside like a normal person =P

My mom and brother live really close to the zone of totality, I think they get 90% or better.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Count on Berkeley to be 100% overcast and foggy on the morning of the eclipse.

We'll be getting like 75% I think, so at least I'll be able to tell when it starts getting dark. And just in case it clears up by then, I made a cereal box projector so I'll be able to see it!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

i think the eclipse starts here soon but it's super cloudy right now so :/

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Still 100% cloud cover. It's impossible to see the narrowing sun. Can see the sky dimming outside, though, which is still neat.

Did a Tarot reading and got all Cups. That was super cool. It was a very insightful reading.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:26 pm

It just passed by here. Looked pretty cool.

I'm a few miles outside the path of the totality, so I didn't get the full experience though.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Squeege made viewers for us! :D It's started here, and it's supposed to peak at like 2:45. He works at 3ish...

Also, Baltimore has good weather when it counts, apparently.
Why must you leave~?

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm

it's actually kinda cloudy here right now, i hope it clears up before the peak

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I got a pair of glasses. I was expecting it to be kinda lame to look through them, but it's actually still awesome. Looking forward to the peak (around 82% here in DC)

Red

Post by Red » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been watching the NASA live stream, I'm pretty jealous of people along the path of totality.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Last-minute cloud cover, haha. Our peak is over so I'm gonna watch the livestream now. Definitely getting glasses next time!
Why must you leave~?

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I got to see the peak (about 96% here). A lot of people drove up to Nashville because it's supposed to be 100% there. I didn't want to drive for six hours to watch something for three minutes. What I saw ten feet from my front door was pretty impressive. It was like someone dimmed the outside world.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm not as salty as I would otherwise be about our complete cloud cover today, because I got to see an eclipse in Alsace back in 1999. I was 6 and had no idea I was witnessing a pretty dang rare event. It was so cool, the whole world just got dark for a few moments; really glad I got to see it then.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:54 pm

smol Kat wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm
Last-minute cloud cover, haha. Our peak is over so I'm gonna watch the livestream now. Definitely getting glasses next time!
THE CLOUD CAME RIGHT AT THE PEAK

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”