If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Future of American Football.

Moderator: March

VG_Addict

Future of American Football.

Post by VG_Addict » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

With all the concerns about concussions, what do you think is American Football's future? Will it even still exist in 20 years?

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Needs more weaponry.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:53 am

I'd be into it if it had weapons, sure. That sounds good, it would probably be a great video game.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1621039, member: 18119"]I'd be into it if it had weapons, sure. That sounds good, it would probably be a great video game.[/QUOTE]
I guess that kinda exists if you think about the video game Blood Bowl... Or yknow hockey.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:06 am

I don't think anyone really knows the future of American football. Scientific advancements in the way of concussions and their effects on the brain have advanced so much that they call things into question. It's not just "getting your bell rung" anymore. We know it's a serious injury that could lead to greater repercussions later on. I know people who I personally played football with only a few years ago would not let their children play football because of the risk of brain injury.

Yet at the same time there are also plenty of people that leave the decision up to their children, letting them know the risks of what could possibly happen to them. There are people who understand the risks that still choose to play football because they love the sport.

I think the sport will continue to change the rules to prevent as many serious injuries as possible. You already see college football stressing "targeting" rules, even though the way they call things is inconsistent. Unfortunately you can also see instances in the pros where teams seemingly ignore concussion protocol to get star players back on the field asap. That needs to change.

I feel like pro football will still exist in 20 yeas, though the rules will probably have changed at least a little bit, especially in college where safety seems to be stressed a little more.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

March

Post by March » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:24 am

^Well put. Also, it's still such a popular sport and money talks. I think there's going to be some changes in the future regarding safety, I know the Mel Farr news had people buzzing this past week, but in the end, as long as the money flows in, American football isn't going anywhere.
Every day I'm Shucklin'

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 am

^Hell I work in a grocery store and with the money they make off of just the superbowl alone they'll find a way to make it popular lol.
Though interesting fact, we're more or less the biggest grocer in town (next to walmart) this could be more our store but we didn't have nearly as much superbowl business this year as we did last year and it seemed like eople just weren't as excited about it this year either.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Return to “Sports & Fitness”