If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Rio 2016 Olympics

Moderator: March

Marilink
Supermod

Rio 2016 Olympics

Post by Marilink » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14 am

I've thought about making this thread at least 5 times now, but I usually get distracted...by watching more Olympics. Have you guys been enjoying the Olympic Games this year?

The Olympics are a pretty huge deal in my family. My mom and dad loved watching them, both Summer and Winter, and they've become something of an event for us every time they roll around. My sister is particularly emphatic about her Olympic love.

I've been really enjoying the games this year. Swimming has been particularly exciting, with rising stars like Katie Ledecky dominating and old champions like Michael Phelps still going at it. This year, I've found myself watching a lot of Field Hockey and Judo as well. I also caught the Bronze and Gold medal matches for women's Rugby, and suddenly I found a new fantastic spectator sport. (I had never really watched Rugby before, and now I find myself getting way more into it than I would have expected.)

What about you guys? Surely I can't be alone on VGF in my love for the Olympics.
Carthago delendum est

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am

I haven't been watching much, but Rio de Janeiro was a terrible choice for the Olympics host. Why did this happen.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:03 am

can we talk about how handball is the best sport on earth
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 am

can we talk about Simone Biles? Because DAMN THAT GIRL OWNED GYMNASTICS
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 am

simone biles is a damn hero

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:31 pm

(in related news, every time i watch someone do a jump or flip on the balance beam, i briefly fear for their lives)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 pm

[QUOTE="Classic Panfan, post: 1604779, member: 29448"]can we talk about how handball is the best sport on earth[/QUOTE]
I haven't watched any, but I have been intirgued[DOUBLEPOST=1470847045,1470846935][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Random User, post: 1604777, member: 35827"]I haven't been watching much, but Rio de Janeiro was a terrible choice for the Olympics host. Why did this happen.[/QUOTE]
The city certainly has problems, but they have done a decent job of hosting so far (citation needed). The other option for this year was Chicago, so if we're talking about getting away from corruption, we weren't really in luck for 2016.
Carthago delendum est

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:38 pm

it's basically gym class as an olympic sport

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:28 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1604797, member: 23215"]The city certainly has problems, but they have done a good job of hosting so far. The other option for this year was Chicago, so if we're talking about getting away from corruption, we weren't really in luck for 2016.[/QUOTE]
Corruption isn't the problem so much as the horrid conditions of Rio. The Olympic village is barely livable, filled with thieves and crime, and to top it off there is no police force.

However I will concede that handball is possibly the best sport on earth, next to demolition derby.

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:02 am

I just looked up handball, and that is completely different to the game I used to play at school.

In other news:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 am

I don't care even slightly about the be----ted Olympics.

What will be the human toll of this current Olympics horse----? I'm purely curious. I understand quite a few workers have already died trying to make this ----ing dross a reality. I care about people. And so ---- the Olympics. The Olympics can eat my ----.

...when ziko becomes a pandemic, when my poor River gets infected and her babies get born all ----ed up, do I get a few free shots at them IOC -----? I'm generous. Buck-shot instead of copper slugs, ten extra paces or so. Hell, I'll even use the the zwilling instead of the pump-action. I'm easy like Sunday morning, man.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:58 am

holy ****, dude.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 am

na
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:56 am

I'm sorry, did I get a hair too real, there? Whoops missus----I'll work on it.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:47 am

I am not a fan of how the Olympics is run. Somehow it seems to get worse for the locals every time.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

I really enjoy the Olympics in theory, but it's undeniably true that the event tends to devastate whatever area hosts it. We should just build a giant floating stadium in the middle of the ocean and have them there. That way these massive facilities won't be completely wasted after their construction and it won't destroy an entire economy surrounding the games.

won't pretend i dont love watching the talented athletes, though. always impressive as hell.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:03 pm

When's Mario and Sonic going to do something?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1604871, member: 30977"]I really enjoy the Olympics in theory, but it's undeniably true that the event tends to devastate whatever area hosts it. We should just build a giant floating stadium in the middle of the ocean and have them there. That way these massive facilities won't be completely wasted after their construction and it won't destroy an entire economy surrounding the games.

won't pretend i dont love watching the talented athletes, though. always impressive as hell.[/QUOTE]

(language warning)
[MEDIA=youtube]4TICjEsvC8o[/MEDIA]
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Didn't realize that song had a video.

Return to “Sports & Fitness”